Is the dish safe to use ?

Older topics that are in the process of being sorted and moved into the appropriate Archived sections below.

Topic author
isadoraisacat

Is the dish safe to use ?

Post by isadoraisacat » Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:43 am

https://www.amazon.com/T-Rex-Hermit-Cra ... B000EUI4D6 accidently bought this with a one click purchase on Amazon Image and they couldn't cancel it i noticed its glow in the dark plastic is this safe to use as a food dish ? If not ill cut my losses

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Tapatalk

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Is the dish safe to use ?

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:21 am

I don't think it will be an issue. i wouldn't stress over it. I have a similar one that I had purchased almost 5 years ago, but it isn't glow in the dark. My hc's constantly climbed the tree and fell in the food...it was messy! I would just use it for one item like egg shells or calcium carbonate or mealworms. Something that doesn't need to be changed frequently. :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
isadoraisacat

Post by isadoraisacat » Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:12 pm

GotButterflies wrote:I don't think it will be an issue. i wouldn't stress over it. I have a similar one that I had purchased almost 5 years ago, but it isn't glow in the dark. My hc's constantly climbed the tree and fell in the food...it was messy! I would just use it for one item like egg shells or calcium carbonate or mealworms. Something that doesn't need to be changed frequently. :)

thanks i was just worried maybe there was some kind of paint on it that would be unsafe.
i was going to use it as their food dish because the one i have is very larger and i need to conserve
space. i honestly didnt evem mean to but it i accidently clicked one click purchase and quickly clicked back
and it went though and they wouldn't let me cancel the item im so mad.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:32 pm

Amazon is pretty good about returns if you want to feel safe about it. Idk to be honest. They are going to eat whatever they want. I have seen them pick at my plastic plants. One of my coconuts is not real, and they have even picked at some of the lining inside.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:55 am

If you decide to use try and "scratch" it with one of your nails. If paint flakes off, best to return it or just throw it out. However, I think a lot of those plastic dishes have the colours "infused" (?) with the plastic so it should be safe. Best to keep an eye on it regardless once it's in the tank.
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
isadoraisacat

Post by isadoraisacat » Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:40 pm

I decided to use it seems that the color is infused like you said and honestly it doesn't even glow in the dark lol. I think it's fine however i do plan on ordering another dish for their food that's ceramic

Laurie LeAnn

Post by Laurie LeAnn » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:15 pm

Go to a dollar store buy food and water dishes there for a buck!

Topic author
isadoraisacat

Post by isadoraisacat » Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:15 am

Laurie LeAnn wrote:Go to a dollar store buy food and water dishes there for a buck!
The dish appears safe the plastic appears to be safe no paint on this one but i do plan on buying a new dish anyway soon