How often?

Older topics that are in the process of being sorted and moved into the appropriate Archived sections below.

Topic author
crabby_D

How often?

Post by crabby_D » Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:33 am

How often do you clean your tank?

I am now worrying I am being too hands off with my colony. I haven't done a deep clean ever. I have two tanks, 8 crabs, established for 1 year now. I found what I suspect are food mites on two of my crabs yesterday, and now I am wondering if i need to be cleaning more often and deeper than scooping out food and waste superficially.

The mites seem to only be in one tank, which isn't as tightly sealed at the top.

Thank you!

soilentgringa

Re: How often?

Post by soilentgringa » Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:14 am

It's only necessary to deep clean if you have a flood or bacterial bloom. Beneficial microbes and bacteria build up in the sub and aid in breaking down waste.

Sent from my LGLS665 using Tapatalk

Menders

Post by Menders » Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:53 pm

soilentgringa wrote:It's only necessary to deep clean if you have a flood or bacterial bloom. Beneficial microbes and bacteria build up in the sub and aid in breaking down waste.

Are the food mites dangerous?

Menders
3 PPs, 1 cat exotic short hair, 2 children and a wonderful husband

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:49 am

No, if its not on the crabs don't worry. :) Food mites help keep mould at bay by eating unwanted food.
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Menders

Post by Menders » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:30 am

But ants and flies are bad, right? I have read that several people keep Rollie Pollies in their tanks because they clean the tank and eat waste... Is that true? And is so, where would you but them. And hiw many would one want to have in a tank? I never noticed crab "waste" until two nights ago when Biggie Claws ate a ton of avocado. I went to remove it the next morning... And I jumped about 3 feet because my tank was infested with several neon-ish long thin worms!!!! Then I realized that the trail led to Biggie Claws and under him. I used a paper toel to remove it. But up until then I had been hands off a bit too. Mostly because I couldn't find the poo to save my life. With the addition of the three new guys and one of those 3 being about the size of a pool ball, I know know what the "waste" looks like If there is indeed a bug that will take care of that, then I would really like yo get some!

Menders
5 PPs, 1 cat exotic short hair, 2 children and a wonderful husband

isadoraisacat

Post by isadoraisacat » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:29 am

The main mites you should fear are the actual crab mites who infest the actual crabs those are bad.

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Tapatalk

Laurie LeAnn

Post by Laurie LeAnn » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:08 pm

I have bug phobia...I don't like any type of bug in my tank good or bad. I deep clean my tank once a year. That means everything out rinsed off, plastic / silk plants replaced. Substrate replaced with new to...I have had ants in my tank before they are very hard to get out.once they start to tunnel it's a lost cause...crabs are very good about hiding their poo to..

GinkoCrab

Post by GinkoCrab » Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:25 am

I've put rollie pollies in my tank before. They snacked on some of the leftovers, but died off after a couple weeks. I just collected some from outside. But I wouldn't say I'd do it again for fear of introducing something harmful into the tank, if that's possible.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Rawrgeous

Post by Rawrgeous » Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:01 am

The best thing to do if you collect them from outside is to breed them out a generation or two that way you know you aren't taking that risk. Kind of like the idea with live plants in the 'tat needing to sit for a couple of months. I personally just started breeding isopods to put into my crab tank. I'm excited to get enough! :D

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:00 pm

Laurie LeAnn wrote:I have bug phobia...I don't like any type of bug in my tank good or bad. I deep clean my tank once a year. That means everything out rinsed off, plastic / silk plants replaced. Substrate replaced with new to...I have had ants in my tank before they are very hard to get out.once they start to tunnel it's a lost cause...crabs are very good about hiding their poo to..
Isopods aren't insects. They're crustaceans. Image

isadoraisacat

Post by isadoraisacat » Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:05 pm

soilentgringa wrote:
Laurie LeAnn wrote:I have bug phobia...I don't like any type of bug in my tank good or bad. I deep clean my tank once a year. That means everything out rinsed off, plastic / silk plants replaced. Substrate replaced with new to...I have had ants in my tank before they are very hard to get out.once they start to tunnel it's a lost cause...crabs are very good about hiding their poo to..

Wait they are crustaceans for real ? I assumed they were bugs that makes me less afraid haha i love spiders and crabs just not a fan of bugs i hate them

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:06 pm

isadoraisacat wrote:
soilentgringa wrote:

Wait they are crustaceans for real ? I assumed they were bugs that makes me less afraid haha i love spiders and crabs just not a fan of bugs i hate them

Yes. They are crustaceans.

isadoraisacat

Post by isadoraisacat » Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:07 pm

soilentgringa wrote:
isadoraisacat wrote:
soilentgringa wrote: Isopods aren't insects. They're crustaceans. Image

Yes. They are crustaceans.

Crazy i know their are those giant under water ones that i think are kind of cute the ones you see who cling to a fishes tongue are these iso pods I'm the same family ?

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:15 am

I'm pretty sure they are in the same family! So, a hesitant yes (they certainly are related though...)

~~~~~~
Those underwater ones actually don't cling onto the tongue, rather they "remove" the tongue and become the substitute tongue. Its believed that they feed off the morsels that the fish eat, but its also predicted that they "drink" their victims. I'll much prefer the giant isopods! :)
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

isadoraisacat

Post by isadoraisacat » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:47 pm

aussieJJDude wrote:I'm pretty sure they are in the same family! So, a hesitant yes (they certainly are related though...)

~~~~~~
Those underwater ones actually don't cling onto the tongue, rather they "remove" the tongue and become the substitute tongue. Its believed that they feed off the morsels that the fish eat, but its also predicted that they "drink" their victims. I'll much prefer the giant isopods! :)
Yikes yeah i was reading they seem like parasites im pretty much not a fan of anything that uses a "host" to feed off from fleas to ticks and other icky bugaboos I'll pass on that. Pretty yucky