New UTH = dry sand

Older topics that are in the process of being sorted and moved into the appropriate Archived sections below.

Topic author
pandapopulus

New UTH = dry sand

Post by pandapopulus » Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:34 pm

I recently applied a 6" x 23" Ultratherm to the back of my 20 gallon long tank. I insulated it to get proper temperatures around 82 degrees.

The UTH is positioned about a half inch above my sub. I had a PP go down to molt/destress on 8/17 against the same wall the UTH is now on and it appears the UTH is drying out the sub along the wall it is applied. My humidity is always high.. ~86 degrees. I have been misting every so often to dampen the dry area but I am worried this is not good for the crab that went down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

isadoraisacat

Re: New UTH = dry sand

Post by isadoraisacat » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:01 pm

Im not an expert but i think the sand below that half inch under should still.be damp hopefully an expert can help you more than i.

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Tapatalk

Laurie LeAnn

Post by Laurie LeAnn » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:08 pm

Actually you want to be careful when misting. You can mist to much and all that water goes on the side of the glass and goes below and will over saturate your sand in places then you can get mold growing. As long as you had your substrate mixed up.right before like sand castle consistency it should be fine for awhile. I know from experience!

Topic author
pandapopulus

Post by pandapopulus » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:34 pm

Laurie LeAnn wrote:Actually you want to be careful when misting. You can mist to much and all that water goes on the side of the glass and goes below and will over saturate your sand in places then you can get mold growing. As long as you had your substrate mixed up.right before like sand castle consistency it should be fine for awhile. I know from experience!
thank you!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk