YES, they can open lids!

Older topics that are in the process of being sorted and moved into the appropriate Archived sections below.

Topic author
Laurie LeAnn

YES, they can open lids!

Post by Laurie LeAnn » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:28 pm

My large / jumbo crab opened the glass lid today and got out! I had piece of wood that went up towards the tank and he had climbed up, hooked his claws on the top I'm assuming and pulled himself up and pushed it up. I heard a bunch of racket but just thought he is being rammy trying to get to the other side of the tank cause I have it blocked off..it's mating season.. ya...I got up to go to the kitchen and there be sat on top of the tank!!!! It's now been rearranged and has been duct taped down. He has tried to go back and climb where he got out..rude awakening.

Rawrgeous

Re: YES, they can open lids!

Post by Rawrgeous » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:54 am

What a naughty crab! I had that paranoid thought about Mrs. Robinson.....glad I put a big book on each side.

mool

Post by mool » Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:22 am

I have a heavy block of wood on both lids to prevent such happenings. I'm glad you found yours right away!

Giner13

Post by Giner13 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:23 am

Scary!!
I generally keep all climby toys down enough where my small/mediums can't reach....is that enough prevention??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crabinski

Post by Crabinski » Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:37 pm

My large fella, Big Enzo, managed to push up under the plastic strip at the rear of the glass lid and escape to the top of the tank twice :walk: . Attaching the strip to the back of the tank with clear packing tape ended those forays. He's tried many times to lift the front edge of the hinged lid with his shell but without success: thankfully, it's too heavy!
PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster