Extra shells

Older topics that are in the process of being sorted and moved into the appropriate Archived sections below.

Topic author
kieagcarm

Extra shells

Post by kieagcarm » Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:35 pm

New crabber here. I have 6 extra shells in there, and both crabs change like crazy. How should I arrange them? Right now I have them with the opening turned upwards and spread out. I saw pictures of extras in a hanging pouch thing. Can they get to them that way?

"Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions"
"Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions."

Laurie LeAnn

Re: Extra shells

Post by Laurie LeAnn » Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:56 pm

I just dipped mine in their water, just cause I read somewhere they like a clean shell..I just drop mine in the tank.no certain order,no rhyme or reason..I think they like it better if they can get to them in a easy way.. I would.I don't leave mine in all the time either.. I put them in for a week every few months... they try them on then they just leave them alone. They end up getting buried full of substrate

MrTeacherDude

Post by MrTeacherDude » Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:49 am

My crabs move my shells around so much, I don't bother with them at all. They are on a reptile hammock as a second level with a big log leading up to it so they can change. Always have 1-2 laying in the sun after each few days...

There's no specific way to put shells in, they will turn them, but I've found me crabs like them with the hole up so they can inspect them easier. They tend to bypass the face down shells for some reason...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
kieagcarm

Post by kieagcarm » Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:43 am

MrTeacherDude wrote:My crabs move my shells around so much, I don't bother with them at all. They are on a reptile hammock as a second level with a big log leading up to it so they can change. Always have 1-2 laying in the sun after each few days...

There's no specific way to put shells in, they will turn them, but I've found me crabs like them with the hole up so they can inspect them easier. They tend to bypass the face down shells for some reason...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mine do the same thing, bypass the down facing ones. They seem to like only certain ones as well, turbos and what I call conch shells

mool

Post by mool » Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:09 pm

Crabs think the downward facing shells are occupied so they skip them.

Topic author
kieagcarm

Post by kieagcarm » Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:48 pm

mool wrote:Crabs think the downward facing shells are occupied so they skip them.
My first hermit, Gary, well try to inspect the other guy's shell. Is that normal?

PinchersAndShells

Post by PinchersAndShells » Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:42 pm

kieagcarm wrote:
mool wrote:Crabs think the downward facing shells are occupied so they skip them.
My first hermit, Gary, well try to inspect the other guy's shell. Is that normal?

I usually feel uneasy when they do this because I'm afraid that they might have a shell fight, I've witnessed two.
4 PPs + 1 E = Dusty, Momo, Seasalt, & Elvis
Captive Bred PP = Randy
75 Gallon Crabitat | Crabbing Since 8.11.2015
https://www.instagram.com/pinchersandshells/

Just Jay

Post by Just Jay » Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:59 pm

Where do you all buy your new shells?

Topic author
kieagcarm

Post by kieagcarm » Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:05 pm

Just Jay wrote:Where do you all buy your new shells?
I found a few in North Carolina on the beach, the others I ordered online at several of the stores listed on this website under the shopping resources, and I bought two at pet supplies plus here in Pittsburg

Sent from my C5215 using Tapatalk

LadyJinglyJones

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:23 pm

"Gaze upon the rolling deep..."
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.
RIP Vegita :(

Topic author
kieagcarm

Post by kieagcarm » Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:26 pm

LadyJinglyJones wrote:Naples!

http://naplesseashellcompany.com/
I did buy some from there Friday

Just Jay

Post by Just Jay » Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:30 am

thanks! i appreciate the info! my rescues are half underground, molting or de-stressing its so hard to tell! more like stressing me out honestly. if they are molting i dont think they will have enough shells in their sizes when they come up and dont want any shell fights. then my two bigger hermies have stayed up but one (Uu) keeps changing shells and looking at new ones like he hasnt found the one. tonight even i dont see him just a hole where a big shell he was checking out was last night so he might have gone to ground as well with it.

Rawrgeous

Post by Rawrgeous » Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:59 am

kieagcarm wrote:

That is not a good sign. That means that Gary is interested in his friend's shells. This can lead to shell fights. A good place to get a bunch of cheap shells is Michaels and Joannes.

Topic author
kieagcarm

Post by kieagcarm » Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:48 am

Rawrgeous wrote:
kieagcarm wrote:

That is not a good sign. That means that Gary is interested in his friend's shells. This can lead to shell fights. A good place to get a bunch of cheap shells is Michaels and Joannes.
Gary is a punk, really. I added the substrate last night, added a bunch of new shells I got from the shopping links on here, and Yeti( previously known as yet to be named) was trying out shells randomly. Any shell he took an interest in, Gary would push him away and try it out his self. Gary finally switched shells and I took out his old shell immediately because it was painted and chipped and cracked. He seems stressed out more. Should I put his old shell back in? I thought Gary was molting yesterday as he dug down as soon as there was sub in the tank, but he came back up two hours later. Does that mean it's not most enough? How do I know I fixed it right?

LadyJinglyJones

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:13 am

The sub is moist enough if you stick a chop stick (or the like)down the side of the tank & the hole remains intact all the way down. :)
An sometimes crabs go down & come up again with out molting. Iz normal!
"Gaze upon the rolling deep..."
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.
RIP Vegita :(