UTH what size to get?

Older topics that are in the process of being sorted and moved into the appropriate Archived sections below.

Topic author
Claudia

UTH what size to get?

Post by Claudia » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:43 pm

We got 3 crabs 3 months ago when it was warm in Aug and temps were 75-80 where the aquarium is located.
Now that cold weather is here the temperature is about 68.
I have read on this forum to get the heating mat called the UTH by Bean Farm or Reptile Basics websites to increase temperature in the tank. I found both sites.. but don't know what size to get.

What size UTH should I get? a 6"x17" or a 11"x17"

The glass back of my 10 gal tank measures 20"wide and 10.5" tall, not counting that black plastic strip at bottom which adds about another inch in height. The substrate is 3-4" depth but I plan to add another 1-2" So along the glass back wall there is 3" substrate and 7.5" air above it. When I add a bit more there will be 4" substrate and 6.5" air above it.

I'm thinking the 11"x17" will be too big and to go with the 6"x17"

Also, after I order this, am I supposed to put it inside the aquarium or outside? I'm assuming the outside, but I wasn't sure on that.. couldn't find answer anywhere. So I think the heat will just go right through the glass, and reach the inside of the tank?

kieagcarm

Re: UTH what size to get?

Post by kieagcarm » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:32 pm

The sub should be at least the times the size of your biggest crab. I got a zoo med uth, I do not recommend getting it, I am replacing it after Christmas. You might want to get a bigger tank too

Sent from my C5215 using Tapatalk
"Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions."

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:12 am

The ultratherm... If you were wondering what they were called and wanted to double check its the right brand. :)

I personally would get the 6 x 17, and go with at least 6 inches of substrate (as its usually 3 times the size of your biggest crab, like kieagcarm said). If there is a slight overlap of substrate and UTH, its fine. I had the UTH ended 2 inches into the substrate layer, which was my crabs favourite resting place to sleep during the day. Even though the sand was dry in that - small - area, I often saw them snuggling eat other in the sand enjoying the heat.
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
Claudia

Post by Claudia » Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:06 am

Thanks.. I placed an order for the smaller 6" one.. thats what I had been thinking but wasn't sure. Yes I do plan on adding a bit more substrate as well.

One more question - is the UTH placed on back of the tank, OUTSIDE the tank correct? (not on the inside) - how is it attached? Are there any photos of anyone's setup?

Crabinski

Post by Crabinski » Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:15 pm

Claudia wrote:One more question - is the UTH placed on back of the tank, OUTSIDE the tank correct? (not on the inside) - how is it attached? Are there any photos of anyone's setup?
UTHs go on the outside of the back wall and, if it's an Ultratherm you're getting, they can be attacked with clear packing tape, duck tape, electrical tape, etc. I used clear packing tape to attach mine to the 29g. In the pic below, you can see the UTH on the back wall.

PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster

Topic author
Claudia

Post by Claudia » Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:08 pm

Thank you, this is helpful! Love the photo! Is there a folder with photos of owners setups? That would be awesome to see. Someday I hope to have a larger tank. But in the meantime the heater should make it more comfy in there. Hoping it arrives this week.

Crabinski

Post by Crabinski » Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:59 pm

Claudia wrote:Thank you, this is helpful! Love the photo! Is there a folder with photos of owners setups? That would be awesome to see. Someday I hope to have a larger tank. But in the meantime the heater should make it more comfy in there. Hoping it arrives this week.
There is a PICTURES folder in the General Chat section and a lot of pics are also in the CRABITAT CONDITIONS folder.
PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster