Need help raising temperature

Older topics that are in the process of being sorted and moved into the appropriate Archived sections below.

Topic author
Mareece

Need help raising temperature

Post by Mareece » Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:56 pm

It's getting colder and I'm having a hard time keeping my crabitat's temperature up. I have two UTH each covering the back half of my tank. When it was warmer I only needed one insulated and maintained 77-85 degrees. Now it's dropped to 69-79 and I've already insulated both sides :( I have a moonlight lamp for reptiles that I turn on, but I keep it 6 inches away from the lid and use it more for lighting than for heating. What else can I do to raise the temperature?
My adorable PPs: Charlotte, Peaches, Slowbro, and Jamarcus

Crabinski

Re: Need help raising temperature

Post by Crabinski » Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:26 pm

You can wrap one of these mylar blankets around the tank to help keep in the heat: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Coghlans-1.5 ... t/23543585

I just drape a small velour throw around the back, sides and halfway over the top to help trap the heat in the winter.
PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster

Kermie16

Post by Kermie16 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:57 pm

What do u use for insulation? I have reflectix practically on all sides of my tank right now- usually only need it on back and both side walls but I figured with the cooler weather coming in pretty quickly I could bump up the heat a bit more, so the front side is about 2/3rds covered .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CrabMater

Post by CrabMater » Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:21 pm

I find deeper substrate holds temps and humidity better. I was struggling at 4.5"-6" sub. I added more so ive got between 5.5 and 7" and both heat and humidity are up and stable. A light towel draped over tank is helping w heat since i cant insulate my repti therm uth. Good luck and keep us posted. :crabbigsmile:
CrabMater to 2PPs : John & Diana (formerly Cherry Bomb)
Crabbin' since June '16 (RIP Pinchy 7/16 / RIP Dean )

MORE SUBSTRATE!

Topic author
Mareece

Post by Mareece » Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:10 am

I'm definitely going to try the blanket and adding sub. I'm so glad the suggestions are cheaper than I thought they'd be.

I insulated the UTHs with aluminum foil, styrofoam, cardboard, and duct tape.
My adorable PPs: Charlotte, Peaches, Slowbro, and Jamarcus

Crabinski

Post by Crabinski » Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:02 pm

Mareece wrote:I'm definitely going to try the blanket and adding sub. I'm so glad the suggestions are cheaper than I thought they'd be.

I insulated the UTHs with aluminum foil, styrofoam, cardboard, and duct tape.
Just a word of caution: only Flukers and Ultratherm can be safely insulated. If you have ZooMed, All Living Things or another "store" brand, adding insulation can cause an electrical hazard. If the UTHs cannot be safely insulated, you can still use the blanket and sub suggestions.
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:20 pm

I recently bought an uth from reptile basics and I also used reflectix ~ works great! The zoomed was a lot different and was more money.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Tala

Post by Tala » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:04 am

I have an ultratherm stretching the length of the back of the tank with cardboard taped over it, as well as 2 smaller store brands on the left side-- I was struggling with temps and was concerned that the 3 of them weren't warming it up enough. Eventually got a new hydrometer/thermometer (only because they knocked it into a water dish though Image) and realized it was constantly in the upper 90s and my thermometer had been wrong the whole time. Unplugged the two smaller ones and the one big one has done the trick (other than dropping to 78/79 a couple times during the night). We may have to plug in a smaller one at some point now that it's getting cooler, but otherwise it's been fine since probably March or so.
It's not the typical cause for temp issues but double checking with a separate gauge *might* help you find a solution? :) good luck!
9 PPs (Sandy, Shelly, Franklin, Max Jr., Gusgus, Digdug, Steve, General Crabbington, & Ol' Lady Crabbington)
4 kitties & 2 pups! :)

Just Jay

Post by Just Jay » Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:19 pm

the moon light bulb edmits low to no heat for its watts. i traded mine out for a red light bulb. also just mentioned using coco matting you get to line plant boxes to try and insulate my tank with. i know that is cheap as well.

Nutcracker

Post by Nutcracker » Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:29 pm

Crabinski wrote: Just a word of caution: only Flukers and Ultratherm can be safely insulated. If you have ZooMed, All Living Things or another "store" brand, adding insulation can cause an electrical hazard. If the UTHs cannot be safely insulated, you can still use the blanket and sub suggestions.
This should be shouted from the rooftops! My (bigger) new crabitat is too cold this fall, and winter starts soon. I guess I should wait for UTH shipping if I can't find a Flukers or Ultratherm locally. Thanks!

Crabinski

Post by Crabinski » Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:46 pm

Nutcracker wrote:
Crabinski wrote: Just a word of caution: only Flukers and Ultratherm can be safely insulated. If you have ZooMed, All Living Things or another "store" brand, adding insulation can cause an electrical hazard. If the UTHs cannot be safely insulated, you can still use the blanket and sub suggestions.
This should be shouted from the rooftops! My (bigger) new crabitat is too cold this fall, and winter starts soon. I guess I should wait for UTH shipping if I can't find a Flukers or Ultratherm locally. Thanks!
Ultratherms are sold only online. ReptileBasics.com has the best prices and lowest shipping rate but BeanFarm.com (also sold through Amazon) has a wider variety of sizes. The reliability and overall lower cost of an Ultratherm just can't be beat.

Kermie16

Post by Kermie16 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:32 pm

Crabinski wrote:
Nutcracker wrote:
Ultratherms are sold only online. ReptileBasics.com has the best prices and lowest shipping rate but BeanFarm.com (also sold through Amazon) has a wider variety of sizes. The reliability and overall lower cost of an Ultratherm just can't be beat.
I totally agree after going through 3 zoomeds when I first started crabbing. Such a waste of money for me!! I'm very happy with the Ultratherm!!Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk