Changed substrate

Older topics that are in the process of being sorted and moved into the appropriate Archived sections below.

Just Jay

Re: Changed substrate

Post by Just Jay » Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:56 pm

Ugh aint that the truth! Im looking at a 75 long we have at work!! Lol. Im so glad you are having such luck with the wheels i got one but haven't had the second to put it in yet!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:59 pm

Crabobsessed wrote:You started adding calcium to their food every night? Or did you start adding calcium sand back in?
I always have calcium sources available to my hermits at all time. It's not a bad idea. At all times my hermits can access Cuttlebone, crushed oyster shell, whole egg shell, & crushed egg shell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Just Jay

Post by Just Jay » Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:07 pm

Im so glad you said that! I was thinking back and realized i almost have always had one crab under so was/am offering calcium pretty offten. Might just make it a daily add. Thaks GotButterflies!

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:09 pm

Yw ~ we are here to help each other out!

Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Kermie16

Post by Kermie16 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:31 pm

I have a shell I put only dry foods on changed every two days - occasionally I will add a sprinkle of crushed oyster shells. Every day their fresh food is put in an egg shell. Also I keep a couple of dried sand dollars and also a dried sea urchin in the tank 24/7. My guys seem to like to climb the sea urchin and they like to chow down on the sand dollars! Maybe about once a month I sprinkle crushed oyster shells and crushed egg shells on top of the sub so it gets mixed in when they are digging around and maybe they can munch on some while molting :) I also got a hamster wheel - getting ready to drill into it tomorrow hopefully and get it set up in the tank! Great idea mlakers and GotButterflies:)

Just Jay

Post by Just Jay » Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:36 pm

Oooh i love the idea over mixing a layer of crushed shell on top of the sub! I have a lot and any idea to use it!

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:41 pm

I have a sea urchin also, mine have not touched it. I ended up poking a hole in it to "get them interested", but they still are not. Woohoo on the wheel Kermie16!!!

PinchersAndShells

Post by PinchersAndShells » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:03 am

Here's a tip for anyone looking to upgrade tanks but can only have a certain length and width (bottom glass pane would be this) this guide groups tanks together by their length and width, so for example it would give you a 20 gallon long as the smallest with 30 1/4 x 12 1/2 for the bottom pane. The next biggest with the same bottom would be a 29 gallon, because they have the same floor space, but is taller. The biggest with this floor space is a 37 gallon. It's like this (L x W x H):
20 long - 30 1/4 x 12 1/2 x 12 3/4
29 - 30 1/4 x 12 1/2 x 18 3/4
37 - 30 1/4 x 12 1/2 x 22 3/4

http://www.alysta.com/books/fishtank.htm
4 PPs + 1 E = Dusty, Momo, Seasalt, & Elvis
Captive Bred PP = Randy
75 Gallon Crabitat | Crabbing Since 8.11.2015
https://www.instagram.com/pinchersandshells/