Help!Hermit Crab Attacked,alive but very weak after 67 days

Older topics that are in the process of being sorted and moved into the appropriate Archived sections below.

Topic author
weaverg

Help!Hermit Crab Attacked,alive but very weak after 67 days

Post by weaverg » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:14 pm

My 10 year old hermit crab was attacked 36days into her molt by the 11 year old crab, so I separated them. I screwed up and did not separate them this time since they have never attacked one another. I'm just devastated.

Condition: The 10 year old is very weak and has a left leg missing and the two on the right side look like they were broken and healed in a deformed way. She isn't strong enough nor has enough mobility with the multiple leg injuries and deformities to get in her shell or even move it. She used to be so robust when she was well, but now I'm not sure she can climb into her water bowl.

My daughter has had this crab since 3rd grade and she is 19 years old now, and I have been taking care of them since 2006.

How should take care of her since she is without a shell as far as moisture and feeding? I keep 5-6" of moist sand on one half of a large aquarium that has a Hydrometer I keep at around 70% and temp gauge I keep around 70-80 deg. Should I feed her the same hermit crab food I have which is Tetrafauna Hermit Crab Meal and cakes, Zoo Med Fruit Salad and Peanut Butter Crunchies, and T-rex Fruit and Food crab food).

Thanks in advance for your help if you know what I should do!

George