PLEASE, NO NEW TOPICS! FIND YOUR STATE.

Older topics that are in the process of being sorted and moved into the appropriate Archived sections below.

Rawrgeous

Re: Post Adoptees Here (Crabs that need a new home)

Post by Rawrgeous » Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:41 am

Tempaccount wrote:Hi,

I don't know what the forum rules are, but I am located in Toronto, Ontario and need to find a home for a hermit crab as soon as possible. I brought home a shell from the Laguna Madre in Texas (Corpus Christi) and it turned out to be a hermit crab.

It should be noted I do not have the proper equipment to house said crab. I have him temporarily in bottled water with sea salt (trying to feed him mussels and kale). I feel these conditions are not ideal for the crab. Any advice on how to keep him more comfortable while looking for a home for him would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Matt
Try to keep the container he is in warm and moist. Saran wrap over a plastic container would help keep the humidity in to breathe and mist inside the container with your bottled water. Provide a place to hide ( a homemade one like an old plastic container with a hole cut out like a hut would work.) Just offer fruit, veggies, occasional egg shell, and some sort of protein) Hopefully you can find the little guy a home relatively soon, but that at least would be a start, and let him have a bit of a sense of security.

Tempaccount

Post by Tempaccount » Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:57 am

Rawrgeous wrote: Try to keep the container he is in warm and moist. Saran wrap over a plastic container would help keep the humidity in to breathe and mist inside the container with your bottled water. Provide a place to hide ( a homemade one like an old plastic container with a hole cut out like a hut would work.) Just offer fruit, veggies, occasional egg shell, and some sort of protein) Hopefully you can find the little guy a home relatively soon, but that at least would be a start, and let him have a bit of a sense of security.
Thanks for the advice, he now has a hiding place. Anyone know of possible contacts in Toronto to find a new home? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

PinchersAndShells

Post by PinchersAndShells » Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:56 pm

Tempaccount wrote: Thanks for the advice, he now has a hiding place. Anyone know of possible contacts in Toronto to find a new home? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
If you look in the Canadian adopters forum I believe there is a person in Toronto, Ontario looking to adopt hermit crabs. You could try and PM her. :)
4 PPs + 1 E = Dusty, Momo, Seasalt, & Elvis
Captive Bred PP = Randy
75 Gallon Crabitat | Crabbing Since 8.11.2015
https://www.instagram.com/pinchersandshells/

Visual

Post by Visual » Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:28 am

hermit_dave wrote:29 gal tall, 20 gal short, 10 gal iso, 8 uth's, digital thermostat, rheostat, power strip, a BUNCH of shells, food dishes, 2 temp/humidity gauges, heavy-duty stand, 5 E's (4 confirmed alive).All the wood and aquarium ornaments you see is only half of what comes in the deal. All the wood was purchased at a pet store. I'm sure I missed a few things, but everything I own related to hermit crabs is included. Solid glass lid on the big tank and iso (thick and professionally cut) No worries of escapee crabs. The top tier of the stand has an open bottom.

I can no longer take care of them. I am not working and I have arthritis, which prevents me from moving/cleaning the tank. The crabs are healthy and active. I will be saddened to see them go, but I trust someone here take good care of them. $175 to a good home. I've got at least three times that invested. Obviously it's pickup only. The main tank is heavy, so you'll need to bring help.

I've been a member here for years, but couldn't log on after a substantial period of inactivity and had to create a new membership.

[imghttp://i1058.photobucket.com/albums/t414/hermitdave/crabs4004.jpg][/img]
[HEAVY BLACK HEART][HEAVY BLACK HEART][HEAVY BLACK HEART] that wood.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
Sometimes there's fire, sometimes there's rain
www.loverochambeau.com

Visual

Post by Visual » Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:30 am

soilentgringa wrote:I still have multiple crabs that need new homes in Dallas, TX.

Sent from my LGLS665 using Tapatalk
If you can't find anyone near I think I have space and would happily take some in. I am in ky though. I have no idea what shipping would entail. Just thought I'd offer.

www.loverochambeau.com

kieagcarm

Post by kieagcarm » Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:14 pm

CPRESTON wrote:I have 3 hermit crabs I'm wanting to give away to a good home only. I'm in the northern Kentucky area.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk
Are you near Cincinnati

Sent from my C5215 using Tapatalk
"Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions."

CPRESTON

Post by CPRESTON » Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:31 pm

kieagcarm wrote:
CPRESTON wrote:I have 3 hermit crabs I'm wanting to give away to a good home only. I'm in the northern Kentucky area.

Are you near Cincinnati

Yes I am.

Rawrgeous

Post by Rawrgeous » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:36 am

Visual wrote:
soilentgringa wrote:I still have multiple crabs that need new homes in Dallas, TX.

If you can't find anyone near I think I have space and would happily take some in. I am in ky though. I have no idea what shipping would entail. Just thought I'd offer.

It is too cold to ship crabs this time of year. Usually when it is safe to ship in Texas it is too cold to ship to the other states. :/

Sent from my VS880PP using Tapatalk

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:47 am

Rawrgeous wrote:
Visual wrote:

It is too cold to ship crabs this time of year. Usually when it is safe to ship in Texas it is too cold to ship to the other states. :/

Sent from my VS880PP using Tapatalk
I won't ship, period. Most of them have been rehomed though; thanks anyway!

Visual

Post by Visual » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:46 am

No problem! I'm glad they've found homes :)

www.loverochambeau.com

Visual

Post by Visual » Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:37 pm

Laweezy7 wrote:I'm hoping to find someone to take my 8 crabs ASAP.

*I live in Chesapeake, VA
*Can travel to Chesapeake, Norfolk, Virginia Beach, Suffolk. Other surrounding cities are negotiable.
*7 PPs (4 males, 3 females), 1 E (male)
*They're all about the size of eggs, I guess.
*I'm asking for $50 for the 8 crabs, the foods I feed them (from http://www.alaskahermit.com), and LOTS OF SHELLS (from http://www.naplesseashellcompany.com). You can also have some items from my crabitat if you'd like them. I think I still have some unused EcoEarth too... and maybe some moss. If I do, you can have that, too. If you are in need of a tank (55gal) or equipment (heat lamp, water pump, food dishes, etc), I would be willing to sell you mine. Otherwise, I plan to give those to my son.
*I've had 3 of them for almost 4 years, 4 of them for over 3 years, and 1 for almost 2 years. I don't know how many times they've molted for me. I used to keep a journal on all their stats, but then I didn't keep up with it. I'll try to repost this with some photos as soon as I can, but I just wanted to go ahead and get this posted on here now so that we can hopefully find a new home ASAP.

Thank you so much for your help, HCA.
I'm wishing I were closer. I'm here in ky. Willing to rehome crabs but that's aways away.

www.loverochambeau.com

kieagcarm

Post by kieagcarm » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:11 am

Christee wrote:Hi. I have three egg size Purple Pinchers that need rehomed. I am from Carlisle, PA, USA, near Harrisburg. I have been keeping these crabs for about a year and a half. Two have molted once. The biggest is our newest and hasn't molted yet. They come with a 40 gallon breeder tank, hinged screen lid, heat dome with ceramic heat emitter, dual light dome with day bulb and night bulb, 2 liter humidifier, hygrometer, light strip with t8 grow bulb, extra shells, log and sand/coconut husk mix substrate plenty deep enough for molting. I am asking $100 to defray costs of crabitat. We prefer pick up only.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I467 using Tapatalk
How far are you willing to travel? I'm in Pittsburg

"Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions."

RJ_9

Post by RJ_9 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:46 pm

Hey guys,
I've found this page on Craigslist " 27 Painted Hermit Krabs " . If you are in College Station or in Texas area, please consider helping these guys out. I personally would like to help, I'm in Houston and I couldn't travel that far. Her landlord is forcing her to smash them if nobody rescued them before November 21st. Plus it looks like they have been living in the cage for years.

http://houston.craigslist.org/for/5845998519.html

"My ****** landlord recently found my collection of painted hermit krabs I've been illegally racing and is making me give them away or move out. Can be taken free of charge individually or as a whole, I just want them to go to a good home. I've been hand painting the shells of these precious hermit krabs for years, they are great companion pets and very well trained. They have to be gone by November 21st or my landlord is forcing me to smash them to death so please act now. Please text
show contact info
if you are interested, do not call as my speaker is broken from fighting with my ****** landlord. Serious inquiries only, this is no joking matter. "
Last edited by RJ_9 on Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

daws409

Post by daws409 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:14 pm

RJ_9 wrote:Hey guys,
I've found this page on Craigslist " 27 Painted Hermit Krabs " . If you are in College Station or in Texas are, please consider helping these guys out. I personally would like to help, I'm in Houston and I couldn't travel that far. Her landlord is forcing her to smash them if nobody rescue them before November 21st. Plus it looks like they have been living in the cage for years.
Wish I was closer! Hermies shouldn't be treated this way.
Crabbing since Dec. 2010!
35 Crabbies - 28 PP's, 2 E's, 2 Straw's, 1 Viola, & 2 Indo's

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:21 am

RJ_9 wrote:Hey guys,
I've found this page on Craigslist " 27 Painted Hermit Krabs " . If you are in College Station or in Texas are, please consider helping these guys out. I personally would like to help, I'm in Houston and I couldn't travel that far. Her landlord is forcing her to smash them if nobody rescued them before November 21st. Plus it looks like they have been living in the cage for years.

http://houston.craigslist.org/for/5845998519.html

"My ****** landlord recently found my collection of painted hermit krabs I've been illegally racing and is making me give them away or move out. Can be taken free of charge individually or as a whole, I just want them to go to a good home. I've been hand painting the shells of these precious hermit krabs for years, they are great companion pets and very well trained. They have to be gone by November 21st or my landlord is forcing me to smash them to death so please act now. Please text
show contact info
if you are interested, do not call as my speaker is broken from fighting with my ****** landlord. Serious inquiries only, this is no joking matter. "
Perhaps this is just my way of thinking, but I do not think this is a real ad. 1. Krabs is spelled incorrectly. 2. Who admits to illegally racing or illegally doing anything? 3. Anyone that knows ANYTHING about hermits knows painted shells are terrible, and wouldn't hand paint shells for years...4. Hermits are not great companion pets. 5. Hermits are not well trained. 6. They look like they are in a cage from a beach gift shop. 7. Anyone that did smash them to death would be subject the cruelty charges if caught. 8. Who would leave a name and number for this ad? A prankster! I think it's a joke/hoax

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com