Came back up after a month

Older topics that are in the process of being sorted and moved into the appropriate Archived sections below.

Topic author
Jemnem6

Came back up after a month

Post by Jemnem6 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:14 am

My hermit crab buried himself under the water bowl for a little over a month. He's a small guy, but not super small. Well he just came back up, but I'm not sure if he molted. I noticed he went in the salt water bowl, and ate the food I gave him. His skin is really dark and a missing limb he had lost, is now back. He seems really fragile too, but it doesn't look like he grew in size... What is happening???
My Hermit Crab Blog: http://hermitcrab-freak.tumblr.com

22 PP's: Skadoosh, Curly, Lucy, Moe, Ester, Briere, Rinaldo, Bryz, Brayden, Talbot, Pedriza, Keira, Jagr, Rocky Bo, Pinecone, Mason, Wayne, Spruce, Raffl, Moose, Junio, Shiloh.
2 E's: Kimo & Giroux.

turkey the crab

Re: Came back up after a month

Post by turkey the crab » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:29 am

If he regrew a limb, he
molted. My hermit crab barely grew during his first molt
Last edited by turkey the crab on Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 Purple Pinchers: Legs and Mochi

R.I.P Turkey (PP), Norbert (E), Butter (PP)

CrabbyMom33

Post by CrabbyMom33 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:00 am

Yes, if he regrew a lost limb then he definitely molted. They don't always have an obviously growth in size, and even if they do it's often more apparent after a week or so. Feed him lots of healthy foods so he can regain his energy.
Owner of 4 PPs

kuza

Post by kuza » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:22 am

they grow a lot in the few weeks following a molt, but if he had to regrow a limb maybe that took a lot of nutrients from growing larger

SoulLonely

Post by SoulLonely » Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:19 am

Congrats on the molt :)
PP- Currie (boy), Turnip (boy), Maddie (boy), Pineapple (girl), Scaredy (boy), Tremble (girl), Bitty Bite (girl), Frisky (unknown), Chloe (male), Big&Beautiful (female), unnamed (male), 3 unnamed (unknown)
E-Donkey (male), Sprinte (unknown)

Topic author
Jemnem6

Post by Jemnem6 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:50 pm

Thanks for the replies!

I'm really excited about this because the last molt with a different crab was unsuccessful because she tried to molt on the surface. How long should I leave her in an ISO tank before putting her back? I have a large hermit crab who I adopted from someone and she told me that this hermit crab actually ate a molter once! So I definitely don't want to put her back in right away, but I don't want her to be lonely either.

22 PP's: Skadoosh, Curly, Lucy, Moe, Ester, Briere, Rinaldo, Bryz, Brayden, Talbot, Pedriza, Keira, Jagr, Rocky Bo, Pinecone, Mason, Wayne, Spruce, Raffl, Moose, Junio, Shiloh.

Rocky

Post by Rocky » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:50 pm

Was your crab isolated during her molt? Was it because she was isolated, then molted, or you isolated her because she was going to molt? If you have enough food and deep enough substrate, it's perfectly safe to let crabs molt in the main tank.
Yes, crabs will eat molters if they find them. That's why crabs need to bury deep and keep themselves safe, it's not just that your one crab in particular is a crazy cannibal or anything. Molters smell delicious to any crab, they smell like fresh soft meat. And any crab who stumbled across a molter would most likely attack and eat him, no matter how much food is available. But if a molter digs down deep, other crabs won't be able to smell them and they can molt in safety.
If a crab does seem to be surface molting, then they probably need to be isolated for their own protection. Otherwise, removing a crab from it's home and putting it in an entirely new environment may stress it out so much he postpones his molt or stops it altogether. Not only that, but they can stress out if they come back up and find themselves all alone. Crabs live in huge groups of hundreds in the wild. They have safety in numbers, and without other crabs around her, your little guy will probably feel vulnerable on her own.
Also, crabs that are different sizes do alot better together then crabs of the same size. That way, they aren't competing for shells :) I have my four largest crab, including a jumbo, living with smalls and a teeny perfectly fine. :)
We're not asked to do great things, we're asked to do all things with great care.
Rocky's Reptile Rescue: https://www.facebook.com/RockysReptileRescue
Stop the demand. End the trade.

Topic author
Jemnem6

Post by Jemnem6 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:37 pm

Well she is alone in an ISO because I got 4 new crabs the day after she buried and along with those 4 new crabs I got a new tank, so I put all the other crabs in the new tank and left her in the their old tank where she is buried. She is up now so I don't know when to put her back. She ate a lot the first day but is now slowing down and still playing around in her hole but not covering herself.

Also, I do have crabs of all different sizes, I have a jumbo, 2 very large, 1 medium, 3 small/medium, and 1 small. The one who ate the molter was the same size and took the crabs shell too... so do you think it;s safe to put this molter back in? It's been almost 3 days since she's been up.

Rocky

Post by Rocky » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:27 pm

If she's eaten all or most of her exo, had a drink, something to eat and is roaming around then she's ready to go into the tank. Just give the new guys tons and tons of protien and maybe put some more shells in the tank as a precaution if it makes you feel better :) If crabs have lots of protien, shells and space, then they will rarely go after other crabs with the intention of attacking and eating them.
However, crabs the same size do have spats over shells sometimes. My two crabs, Draco and Pinky, are the same size and they occasionally have small spats, but never anything violent. Just keep an eye on them since they're the same size and may occasionally want eachother's shells, but I doubt you'll have many, or any problems :) The only fights Draco and Pinky have is because Draco is obsessed with Pinky and won't leave her alone sometimes ;)
We're not asked to do great things, we're asked to do all things with great care.
Rocky's Reptile Rescue: https://www.facebook.com/RockysReptileRescue
Stop the demand. End the trade.

Topic author
Jemnem6

Post by Jemnem6 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:21 pm

Haha, alright. Thank you :) I think I will put her back in her tank tonight. I haven't seen any exo of hers at all, so I guess she ate it. Plus she's been eating her food, checking out shells, and going in the salt water dish a lot. There are 2 other crabs out of the 8 that are her size, but they're hiding somewhere and I've never had a problem with them. I'll make sure to add a bunch of shells their size.