Do crab apple shoots make good crabitat material?

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

Topic author
Hezekiah

Do crab apple shoots make good crabitat material?

Post by Hezekiah » Wed May 09, 2018 4:13 pm

Hi everyone! I just had a (maybe not so) great idea, and I wanted to get your input. The crab apple tree outside my house has all of these new shoots every spring that need to be pruned off, and I we thinking maybe I could weave a second layer/ hammock thing out of them for my crabitat. Does anyone know if crab apple branches are poisonous for hermit crabs, or any other reasons I should not do this? Has anyone done it before? And are they called crab apples because hermit crabs like them?!?!?

piratetoothgir

Re: Do crab apple shoots make good crabitat material?

Post by piratetoothgir » Wed May 09, 2018 4:33 pm

Hello! :) Welcome to the HCA! :king:

Yes, crabapple is safe, but you can only use it if you are completely sure that it has never been treated with pesticides or fertilizers.
Those are deadly to hermit crabs, and they are sensitive to them :)
Crabber Since 2016
7 Caribbeans & 2 Ecuadorians
I am the proud owner of my hermit crabs, aquarium fish, and isopod totes!

Topic author
Hezekiah

Post by Hezekiah » Wed May 09, 2018 4:53 pm

Thank you! Do I need to wash it or anything? I know that it has not been treated with pesticides in the eight years that I have lived here.

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Wed May 09, 2018 5:51 pm

You can kill off any mold or bugs by soaking the wood in saltwater (marine-grade) for a few hours. These are just small shoots, right? It’s also common to bake wood in the oven at 200 degrees Fahrenheit but I’m not sure what the procedure is for smaller sticks.

Topic author
Hezekiah

Post by Hezekiah » Wed May 09, 2018 6:23 pm

Yes, they are small. I just tried to weave them together and it did not really work, so now I am thinking I will make a hammock out of twine and just put a few sticks in to climb on.

LadyJinglyJones

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Wed May 09, 2018 9:04 pm

Have you considered crochet? It's fast & works well with jute. I taught myself from a YouTube tutorial so I could make a crab wall climb.
"Gaze upon the rolling deep..."
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.
RIP Vegita :(

Topic author
Hezekiah

Post by Hezekiah » Thu May 10, 2018 8:07 am

Actually I know how to knit, so I tried to knit one. My crab seems to like it so far, but I think if I want to I can rip it out and remake it. Is crochet supposed to be better?

LadyJinglyJones

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Thu May 10, 2018 10:16 am

Oh, no, you did all that work - don't tear it apart! :shock:

Knit is great! I'm sure your crabs love it! I just suggested crochet because it's fast & easy.... and if even I can pick it up, anyone can (I can't knit!).
"Gaze upon the rolling deep..."
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.
RIP Vegita :(

Topic author
Hezekiah

Post by Hezekiah » Thu May 10, 2018 11:28 am

Ok, thank you! :)