Coconut castle DIY

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

Topic author
Hermycrabitat21

Coconut castle DIY

Post by Hermycrabitat21 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:57 am

So I have found a website through Pintrest called PetDIYs.com and found instructions on how to make your own coconut castle out of three young coconuts that you gut, bake and put together. Its pretty neat, so I gathered all the supplies and started making it and may I say I have really enjoyed it.

First you get 3 young coconuts. I got mine from whole foods.

Next you poke 3 holes at the top to drain the milk out. I used a hammer and a nail. But the directions say to use an Awl. And use a large cup because there is alot of liquid in thereImage

Next saw the drained coconut near the bottom of the triangular point. I sawed mine all the way through but the website advised not to as you can have doors for the castle. Then use a spoon and gut out all the meat. I cut the meat up and put some in the crab tank. The rest I stored in the freezer

Next scrape out all remaining meat from the inside. As much as possible. Then use a knife and make hashes in the fibrous white husk especially near the base. As you will need to bake it snd it will help the drying process. Bake the coconuts on a cookie sheet at 300 degrees for 5 hours. If the husk is still squishy and looks white bake for an additional hour and a half at 350 degrees. Image

Now I haven't finished the last step yet mostly because I dont quite agree with the directions. Which is also why I am posting to see what you guys think would be a good alternative.
But the directions say to then drill two holes at the bottom of each coconut, the very top coconut wil need holes a few inches apart and the two bottom coconuts will need holes less than one inch apart. Put the coconuts into a triangular configuration and use a pen or a Sharpe to mark the locations for the holes. Suggested to drill the holes from the inside.
Now for my objection, it advised to use craft wire to connect the coconuts together but this is considered unsafe since it can rust. So maybe for an alternative we can use string or something.
I will post as I continue to work on the project.
Started Crabin December 2010, Currently as of 11/2018 I have 12 PP's & 1 E.
Crabs leave pincher prints on our hearts<3

MgnB

Re: Coconut castle DIY

Post by MgnB » Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:11 pm

Don't forget zip ties. My favorite thing in the world.

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:12 pm

This thread may help ease your worry on metal and rust: viewtopic.php?t=79277. Though you could certainly just use hemp or jute rope or any other crab safe item to tie them together. ;)

moonbeam

Post by moonbeam » Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:17 pm

MgnB wrote:Don't forget zip ties. My favorite thing in the world.
the crabitat essential every crabber must eventually accept haha! I've gone through hundreds...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Crabby crew of 17- Bob, Lil Mama, Squirt, Guppy, Deacon, Madison, Bash, Thumbelina, Wilson, George, Rosie, Hercules, Speedy, Jeff, Jerry, Keen, and Reddington :)

CrabbySquirrel

Post by CrabbySquirrel » Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:14 pm

I found the coconut castle a while back and posted about it -- that's awesome that you are actually doing it, and I can't wait to see it all finished and in your tat!! And thanks for posting all the pics of your work along the way - it's awesome to see a project come together like this, especially with all the pictures!

CrabbySquirrel

Post by CrabbySquirrel » Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:20 pm

By any chance did you finish it? I'm so anxious to see how it turned out!

Topic author
Hermycrabitat21

Post by Hermycrabitat21 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:07 pm

CrabbySquirrel wrote:By any chance did you finish it? I'm so anxious to see how it turned out!
Hey, sorry but I haven't yet. I just haven't had the time to. But dont worry I have not forgotten about it. Its on my priority list Image

kornchaser

Post by kornchaser » Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:18 pm

CallaLily wrote:This thread may help ease your worry on metal and rust: viewtopic.php?t=79277. Though you could certainly just use hemp or jute rope or any other crab safe item to tie them together. ;)
All-natural wax free hemp is perfectly safe and a great alternative to anything metal you wanted to put in your crab's home. Also, hermits eat hemp MAKE SURE ITS DYE AND WAX FREE!!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
-

Topic author
Hermycrabitat21

Post by Hermycrabitat21 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:32 pm

kornchaser wrote: All-natural wax free hemp is perfectly safe and a great alternative to anything metal you wanted to put in your crab's home. Also, hermits eat hemp MAKE SURE ITS DYE AND WAX FREE!!

Where do I get these things from?

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:03 am

kornchaser wrote: All-natural wax free hemp is perfectly safe and a great alternative to anything metal you wanted to put in your crab's home. Also, hermits eat hemp MAKE SURE ITS DYE AND WAX FREE!!

I figured it went without saying to get all natural hemp or jute rope. ;) Sorry for any confusion this may have caused you.
Hermycrabitat21 wrote: Where do I get these things from?
Craft stores or I've even seen them at WalMart.

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:46 am

I can't wait to see once it is finished, I no what do buy next at my next shift at Woolworths! :lol: I heard they on special!
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
Hermycrabitat21

Post by Hermycrabitat21 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:28 pm

So I decided to go for the craft wire... I figured it may hold it together better then hemp... but I could always change it later if I need to... so this is what I picked up.

kornchaser

Post by kornchaser » Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:15 pm

Hermycrabitat21 wrote:So I decided to go for the craft wire... I figured it may hold it together better then hemp... but I could always change it later if I need to... so this is what I picked up.
if it's any sort of metal then you really shouldn't use it. Even wire. They are very sensitive to metal. I didn't know this back when I first started crabbing and lost Prince Charming this way. Another option besides hemp is plastic. So like zip ties, plastic string (like necklace stuff at a craft store), plastic hooks, or 100% silicon glue (no additives) I've only heard is okay for crabbies but never personally tried it. Hope this helps, sorry for the late reply.

-

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:21 am

kornchaser wrote: if it's any sort of metal then you really shouldn't use it. Even wire. They are very sensitive to metal.
This thread may help ease your worry on metal and rust: viewtopic.php?t=79277. ;)

kornchaser

Post by kornchaser » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:03 pm

CallaLily wrote: This thread may help ease your worry on metal and rust: viewtopic.php?t=79277. ;)
Still. If you don't know exactly what the metals made of, according to this, then use caution.

Hermie mommy of 7 PP babies: Octavius Flemming, Junior, Matty Pumpkin, Bruiser, Kaylee Frye, Kidagakash Nedakh and Pepper
-