Alternative 40B/55G stands?

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

Topic author
Knibitz
Founding Member
Founding Member

Alternative 40B/55G stands?

Post by Knibitz » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:11 am

So I Was just gifted my 40B for my birthday and have been left to myself to find a stand. except, I can't afford the 150$ for a cabinet and I just don't trust the wire frame ones.

I know there are tutorials out there for making a stand out of two by fours, but I have no power tools or know anyone nearby who does.

Anyone have any ideas? or cheaper alternatives?

Right now it's on my kitchen island, and though it fits and should support it, I'd rather have that space back for food prep :P

I'm two seconds from putting it on the floor and calling it a day, but I don't want to risk kicking it and who wants to sit on their floor to watch their crabs?

:crabblush: I told myself I wasn't going to put anything in it till I found a stand, but I got too excited and just decided to expand some EE and put my extra decorations in, for now :oops: Just making plans....
7 PPs: Vinny, Thomas, Tink, Theo, Thumbelina, Fudge, and Midge
1 E: Noel

megmaholm

Re: Alternative 40B/55G stands?

Post by megmaholm » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:04 pm

Ooh your tank is pretty!

Maybe something like this? http://pinkaspen.blogspot.com/2013/04/d ... stand.html

Most home improvement stores can cut the wood for you, and you can paint the cinder blocks any color you like.
Crabbing since July 2014! 75 gallon with 12 Purple Pinchers.

Topic author
Knibitz
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Knibitz » Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:17 pm

AH! That's PERFECT! Thank you! Thank you!

megmaholm

Post by megmaholm » Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:35 pm

No problem! If/when you end up making it, take pics! Obviously ;)
Crabbing since July 2014! 75 gallon with 12 Purple Pinchers.

Breeezy

Post by Breeezy » Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:16 pm

If you're worried about the wire frame ones, don't be! I have a 40 breeder and have had my tank set up for over a year now. No problems at all! They're actually very structurally sound! :D
4 Purple Pinchers (Hodor, Spree, Rosie, Leonardo, and Lucy), 1 Strawberry (Denver), 4 Ecuadorians (Dexter, Leeloo, Ghost, and Dr. Zoidberg)
1 Pembroke Welsh Corgi (Thorin)

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:22 pm

Breeezy wrote:If you're worried about the wire frame ones, don't be! I have a 40 breeder and have had my tank set up for over a year now. No problems at all! They're actually very structurally sound! :D
Unless you have soft wood floors, and then you end up with permanent damage. :(
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
Knibitz
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Knibitz » Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:59 pm

I have crappy apartment carpet! so I think I'm good!

Yesterday, while I sat at work calling 500000 petcos, my cube-mate obviously got to listen to my frustrated sighs and grumpy huffs. Well today he asked if I ever did get my tank and said he had a friend who was a fish person who just built a mega tank in a wall and knew he had stands and stuff he was trying to get rid of! He doesn't know if he has a 55 tank stand, but said he would check! :banana: So I may not need to make my own special tank stand at all.

I've spent all day thinking about the cinderblock stand though, and am honestly getting a little excited about it. Paint it all fancy and neon-y stripy. Like all the hipster re-purposing people do.
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/555702041495504049/ <- that kinda thing LOL

Crabinski

Post by Crabinski » Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:19 pm

Good luck with your colleague's friend! If that doesn't work out, the cinder block project looks great and you could paint it any color(s) you want to boot -- match your decor :lol: .

Your other option is craigslist for a wood aquarium stand. I picked up a sturdy 36"W wood aquarium stand for my 29g for $20 and primed/repainted it with paint I already had at home.
PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster

Topic author
Knibitz
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Knibitz » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:35 pm

Crabinski wrote:Good luck with your colleague's friend! If that doesn't work out, the cinder block project looks great and you could paint it any color(s) you want to boot -- match your decor :lol: .

Your other option is craigslist for a wood aquarium stand. I picked up a sturdy 36"W wood aquarium stand for my 29g for $20 and primed/repainted it with paint I already had at home.
I wish I felt I could trust craigslist, but I'm a single female living in Detroit. So the whole idea of craigslist scares me a bit.

singlemomwithcrab

Post by singlemomwithcrab » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:55 pm

Knibitz wrote:So I Was just gifted my 40B for my birthday and have been left to myself to find a stand. except, I can't afford the 150$ for a cabinet and I just don't trust the wire frame ones.

LMBO - NEW RULE - Each birthday we crabbers should have the rights of refusal to get a new tank not less than our age in gallons :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
"Do or Do Not. There is no try"
50 PPs, 1 E

singlemomwithcrab

Post by singlemomwithcrab » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:57 pm

Knibitz wrote:
I wish I felt I could trust craigslist, but I'm a single female living in Detroit. So the whole idea of craigslist scares me a bit.
No family to meet in a public place?? Just a thought.
50 PPs, 1 E

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:02 pm

I have a giant hubby, and we still always arrange meetings at very public places and I never give them my email or phone number, instead doing everything through craigslist anonymous system. My mother drilled the fear of the internet into me at very young age! :lol:
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

singlemomwithcrab

Post by singlemomwithcrab » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:10 pm

These folks are located in Detroit and may be a resource for you...

http://www.hermitcrablanding.com/adoption.html
50 PPs, 1 E

Crabinski

Post by Crabinski » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:45 pm

Knibitz wrote:I wish I felt I could trust craigslist, but I'm a single female living in Detroit. So the whole idea of craigslist scares me a bit.
I hear you! I'm also a single female and only consider postings in my relatively immediate area. Luckily, the guy who had the aquarium stand was literally around the corner from my house and his wife had him load it into the backseat for me.
PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster

Topic author
Knibitz
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Knibitz » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:03 pm

Nope. I moved to michigan from south caroline for work! No one for miles.
I have a few local friends but I hate to bug them for stuff like This. I alread bought one of my friends qdoba to come ocer and carry the tank to my 3rd floor apt XD

AND! im actually in touch with the hermit crab landing! Her 100gallon cracked so Im taking a few adoptees from her when they surface :)