DIY Tank Build?

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

Topic author
malacophile

DIY Tank Build?

Post by malacophile » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:02 pm

About 7 years ago, tanks were cheap. I mean you could find a brand-new 55gal for between $40 and $60. I've been considering buying one for some time now and looked at both PetSmart's and Petco's websites, and the prices are astronomical! Most seem to go for well over $130! That would be fine if I were Scrooge McDuck, but I'm not. That, and nobody seems to carry 55gal tanks anymore.

So I'm seriously considering building my own from scratch. Buying the glass, making the frame and everything, because I've already figured that it would be a fraction of the cost of a pre-built tank, and I can get the precise dimensions I prefer. Does anyone here have any experience with it, and is it as practical and cost-effective as I hope it'll be?

purpleperson

Re: DIY Tank Build?

Post by purpleperson » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:28 pm

I can't remember which store, but one of the ones in the USA has dollar per gallon sales, which means a 55 gallon is 55 dollars. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:45 am

Depending on the size tank, you might not be saving that much - or spending more than required. A well known DIY fish keeper noted that you don't really save until you hit the 200g plus range for there to be a saving. True we don't have to fill our "tanks" with water so it doesn't have to be water tight, but filling it with moist heavy sand will need the tank to be strong and withhold the pressure! :)

So if your looking to make your own glass tank, I'm certain that it would cost more. Unless you own a glass shop or cutting corners... but even then, the price can still add up. :?:
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
malacophile

Post by malacophile » Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:53 am

Thanks, guys! I looked at PetSmart's website, and they don't have the $1/gallon sale going on right now apparently, so I guess I'll just have to wait if I want to buy a tank. Last I looked, though, they didn't even have 55gal tanks, aside from the overpriced acrylic nonsense they're carrying now. The only tank-only option they have goes up to 40gal, and even those are out of stock for shipping (I don't have a car, so I can't go pick one up). Petco's selection and pricing aren't any better, I'm afraid. They never run $1/gallon sales that I'm aware of, and I can't find standalone, run-of-the-mill tanks on there at all. I have both a PetSmart and Petco nearby, and the last time I was able to check in-store, neither had 55gal tanks, and what they did have were massively overpriced. That's to say nothing of the ones built for reptile use... It's so disappointing.

As for looking locally on Craigslist, well, it's pretty unlikely in my neck of the woods. And then there's the added burden of having to convince the seller to bring it to me even if I did find one for sale.

Meanwhile I DO have a Menard's nearby that sells pre-cut glass panels in about the exact sizes I'd want, and they're not too badly priced. At $13 a pop for the front, back and bottom, slightly less for the end sides, and about $10 for the sealant, plus a handful of dollars more for the frame materials, I'm thinking it'll still come out to about or just slightly more than I'd pay for a $40 at PetSmart's current price ($64, shipping notwithstanding), and I'd get the size I actually want.

purpleperson

Post by purpleperson » Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:33 pm

malacophile wrote:Thanks, guys! I looked at PetSmart's website, and they don't have the $1/gallon sale going on right now apparently, so I guess I'll just have to wait if I want to buy a tank. Last I looked, though, they didn't even have 55gal tanks, aside from the overpriced acrylic nonsense they're carrying now. The only tank-only option they have goes up to 40gal, and even those are out of stock for shipping (I don't have a car, so I can't go pick one up). Petco's selection and pricing aren't any better, I'm afraid. They never run $1/gallon sales that I'm aware of, and I can't find standalone, run-of-the-mill tanks on there at all. I have both a PetSmart and Petco nearby, and the last time I was able to check in-store, neither had 55gal tanks, and what they did have were massively overpriced. That's to say nothing of the ones built for reptile use... It's so disappointing.

As for looking locally on Craigslist, well, it's pretty unlikely in my neck of the woods. And then there's the added burden of having to convince the seller to bring it to me even if I did find one for sale.

Meanwhile I DO have a Menard's nearby that sells pre-cut glass panels in about the exact sizes I'd want, and they're not too badly priced. At $13 a pop for the front, back and bottom, slightly less for the end sides, and about $10 for the sealant, plus a handful of dollars more for the frame materials, I'm thinking it'll still come out to about or just slightly more than I'd pay for a $40 at PetSmart's current price ($64, shipping notwithstanding), and I'd get the size I actually want.
I think it might be Petco that has the sales. If you're not in a rush, you could get a large clear sterilite tub for cheap as a home until you can find something.

Topic author
malacophile

Post by malacophile » Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:45 am

I'm not in a hurry, per se, I'm just impatient. But since I'd likely have to wait even longer until my parents come visit to help me get the glass and other materials home, I guess I'll keep an eye on Petco's site. Hopefully, they'll have the sale going again soon. I already have my guys in a clear storage bin, and while it works fine and is plenty big enough for them, it's just not all that visually appealing and I can't do much with it decorating-wise because of its odd shape compared to a tank. So I suppose a tank is really more for my benefit than theirs. :P

singlemomwithcrab

Post by singlemomwithcrab » Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:25 pm

Pet Smart is having their $1 per gallon right now.
"Do or Do Not. There is no try"
50 PPs, 1 E

Topic author
malacophile

Post by malacophile » Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:11 pm

I just checked the website and don't see anything about it. It it in-store only, or maybe only at certain stores at any given time?

purpleperson

Post by purpleperson » Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:32 am

malacophile wrote:I just checked the website and don't see anything about it. It it in-store only, or maybe only at certain stores at any given time?
I think it would be in store only, since I doubt they would ship tanks ever.

Krusty Krab

Post by Krusty Krab » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:30 am

Wow, now i know what I want for my b day lol

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk