Zoo Med Repti fogger ....

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

Topic author
HeyItsEggs

Zoo Med Repti fogger ....

Post by HeyItsEggs » Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:35 pm

Hey there guys!
I was surfing the web and came across Zoo Med Repti Fogger! It is supposed to raise the humidity in the tank. Does anyone have any experience on these and know if they work?
Thanks! :crabbigsmile:
Sophia aka "Eggs"
Four PPs, Rio, Rolo, Curlz and Malibu in a 40 gallon
May they rest in peace- Mango- 1/13/17 and Stefanio- 1/10/17

megmaholm

Re: Zoo Med Repti fogger ....

Post by megmaholm » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:19 pm

I haven't used that one, but I do use a humidifier for both my tanks (Crane ultrasonic drop humidifier with a tube running from it). The Reptifogger doesn't have great reviews, at least according to Amazon.com.

One thing to keep in mind is running any humidifier can increase your risk of a flood - in my 55, I have a false bottom to avoid that, but my 40 doesn't have one and did flood once from running a humidifier constantly. I struggle with keeping my humidity up otherwise, though, so for me the benefits outweigh the risks and I just keep a close eye on things. Just something to keep in mind if you decide to go that route.
Crabbing since July 2014! 75 gallon with 12 Purple Pinchers.

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:56 am

As for how they work, they release a fine mist of water, similar to a foggy morning, increasing the water content in the air.
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
HeyItsEggs

Post by HeyItsEggs » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:24 am

Another Question....
Can you put it on a schedule? The people on some reptile website forum thing-a-ma-gig are giving very good reviews. They said to run it 5-6 times a day for 20 minutes. I would like for my schedule to be every two hours. It first turns on at 7 AM ends at 7:20 and then every two hours it does it again. So the starting times are, 7 AM, 9 AM, 11 AM, 1 PM, 3 PM, 5 PM and 7 PM. I need a schedule setting because I am gone for school from 8:20 AM to around 4 PM. Or should I do 30 minutes at, 7 AM, 4 PM and 9 PM? Tell me what you think
Sophia aka "Eggs"

Leslie1993

Post by Leslie1993 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:09 pm

You could do the DIY version: http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... 39&t=26260 or buy one. You can then set it on a timer, like this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01G6O28NA?psc=1 , to go off at the intervals you want.

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:09 am

Depends on your tank and what your trying to achieve. If you need it for maintaining the humidity level - like around 80%, but usually your tank sits at 75-80% then 30 mins at those times should work, if its to increase your humidity, longer durations of on time - followed by smaller intervals - would be ideal.

I personally would buy a regular timer, but thats me. ;)
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

LadyJinglyJones

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:34 pm

I like timers with depress-able 15 min increments, like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Century-Heavy-Me ... _i=desktop
"Gaze upon the rolling deep..."
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.
RIP Vegita :(

Topic author
HeyItsEggs

Post by HeyItsEggs » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:12 am

LadyJinglyJones wrote:I like timers with depress-able 15 min increments, like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Century-Heavy-Me ... _i=desktop
Do I plug the fogged into that thing and it times it? I am confused...
Sophia aka "Eggs"

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:03 am

Those things are used so it sends a current though the push down/up (depending on how the manufacture built it), however when off, the current will not go through - thus, "turning off" your humidifier... As the day progresses, it slowly rotates so it turns on/off, depending on how you "timed" it.

Topic author
HeyItsEggs

Post by HeyItsEggs » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:25 am

aussieJJDude wrote:Those things are used so it sends a current though the push down/up (depending on how the manufacture built it), however when off, the current will not go through - thus, "turning off" your humidifier... As the day progresses, it slowly rotates so it turns on/off, depending on how you "timed" it.
Ok, thanks!
Sophia aka "Eggs"

musicalhermies

Post by musicalhermies » Mon May 22, 2017 1:18 pm

I have mine set up on a timer to turn on every 2-3 hours and it works very well. You can ONLY use distilled water with it or it will break.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk