Bioactive Setup

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

Topic author
CharlesMTF

Bioactive Setup

Post by CharlesMTF » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:06 pm

My son currently has 2 crabs in a 10-gallon. Thinking of setting up a bioactive tank for them in a 20 long. How "bioactive" can I get? Meaning... I'll put in the sand/ee mix, that's fine. And, I'll throw in isopods and springtails. Besides climbing stuff and decorations, do I need to put anything else for the "bioactive" to work? Do I need to feed it biodegradeable materials, like leaf? Or, will crab poop be enough?

And, do I need to worry about the little bio bugs getting out? Can they, and will they, climb up the glass?

Any pros/cons/tips are greatly appreciated.
0.0.6 Hermit Crab (Donald Trump, Louis, & 4 unnamed)
0.1.0 Mexican Black Kingsnake (Tynee)
0.1.0 Ball Python (unnamed)

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Bioactive Setup

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:38 pm

Hello :) I would recommend just isopods for sure! As far as leaf litter, make it oak leaf litter that will be beneficial for the crabs too and a little moss for them to hide in. They will eat the crab poop for sure :) As far as springtails, I've never had those in my 'tat. I wouldn't do both, they would compete with each other. The isopods could get eaten by the crabs. Both pests require humidity to survive, so don't worry about them getting out of the tank...they will die if they do. Isopods will not climb glass, I don't know about the springtails. Isopods are fun to watch. I love watching mine. The isopods eat food too. :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
CharlesMTF

Post by CharlesMTF » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:42 pm

Thanks. I might just give it a whirl.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:00 pm

You are welcome! I have isopods and crabs in my 100g and 75g - The isopods clean up all of the crab poop!
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:28 pm

It will be interesting to see how the competition of resources have a affect on the springtail and isopods populations... If you have the resources to do so, I would recommend. I know that in the dart frogger world, they do use springtails as a clean up crew.
As the tank matures, it will also develop bacteria colonies that will assist in the process.
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

LadyJinglyJones

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:17 pm

Would one want to regularly add more leaf litter to maintain isopods & springtails? I'd expect a collony would crash if the food source were depleted.
"Gaze upon the rolling deep..."
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.
RIP Vegita :(

Topic author
CharlesMTF

Post by CharlesMTF » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:04 pm

LadyJinglyJones wrote:Would one want to regularly add more leaf litter to maintain isopods & springtails? I'd expect a collony would crash if the food source were depleted.
I would think that eventually over time the "excess" colonies will die off, and you'll have just enough to support to waste produced in the tank... unless you DO feed the leaf litter, to keep the colony numbers higher than needed.

PinchersAndShells

Post by PinchersAndShells » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:36 am

For my future isopods I plan on (granted I'm establishing a breeding colony separate from the crab tank first) using a mixture of dried maple, birch, fireweed, and crabapple leaves thrown on the substrate. These are listed on the isopod caresheet on here as favorites for them. I am getting all of these from Alaska Hermit (I have 2/4, waiting for more of the other two to get back in stock.) My crabs seem to enjoy me throwing dried burning bush leaves down too (the PPs eat it all) so that's an option.
4 PPs + 1 E = Dusty, Momo, Seasalt, & Elvis
Captive Bred PP = Randy
75 Gallon Crabitat | Crabbing Since 8.11.2015
https://www.instagram.com/pinchersandshells/

LadyJinglyJones

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:51 pm

I had to look up fireweed - and realized theres a lot of it around here and I can collect seed & grow some this year! Excited. :D
"Gaze upon the rolling deep..."
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.
RIP Vegita :(

Sweet Pea

Post by Sweet Pea » Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:37 am

My tank has been bioactive for well over a year now and is primarily isopods. They have gotten to the point where I will need to remove some, but I'm waiting for spring since it is still pretty cold here. Once your colony is going strong you will definitely need to add more leaf litter. In the winter when I cannot gather any I use terrarium moss (I think there are a few different sources, like Zoomed). They do a fantastic job of cleaning up the crabitat. Poop literally disappears within 24 hours. I've never had escapees from my tank.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:57 pm

In my crabitats I have plenty of leaf litter in them, but crab poo is always gone in the morning when I go in there, so I know my isopods are doing their jobs! I usually see a handful of babies by the food. I will occasionally see crab poo in the shell shop, but nothing like I used to. In addition to no crab poo, the isopods are fun to watch!

KayedeeLove<3

Post by KayedeeLove<3 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:48 pm

GotButterflies wrote:You are welcome! I have isopods and crabs in my 100g and 75g - The isopods clean up all of the crab poop!
Even in the moss pits?

Sent from my SM-G550T1 using Tapatalk

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:44 am

KayedeeLove<3 wrote:
GotButterflies wrote:You are welcome! I have isopods and crabs in my 100g and 75g - The isopods clean up all of the crab poop!
Even in the moss pits?

Sent from my SM-G550T1 using Tapatalk
Yes mam! The isopods live between the moss pits and leaf litter. I keep my moss directly on my sub, so it's a little different for me. If the moss pits are easily accessible it should be eaten. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk