Upgrading from tote to tank

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Upgrading from tote to tank

Post by wodesorel » Mon May 22, 2017 9:03 am

I can't remember anyone actually receiving a non broken terrarium like that through Amazon. They may have gotten better, buy it was lots of delays or shattered glass a few years ago.

I got lucky, my local mom and pop can order any size, so I got my Skyscraper through them a couple weeks ago. Even they have trouble and about every other tank they have delivered is damaged before it gets to them. Had to wait about a month for one, but it was the dame price as online minus any shipping costs! I've also seen great deals on gently used ones on my local fb reptile classifieds, and picked a brand new one up for 3/4 the cost of new from a guy that bought it and never had time to set it up. Even came with lots of extra goodies.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
erin.leaman

Post by erin.leaman » Thu May 25, 2017 1:27 pm

I contacted Amazon, The carrier facility lost my package and Amazon is ordering an investigation to be opened so that my package can be found and delivered by Tuesday.
Bands, Dreamcatchers, and Hermit crabs

Topic author
erin.leaman

Post by erin.leaman » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:16 pm

Update: I contacted Amazon again and they gave me a full refund and are trying to rush the investigation.

daws409

Post by daws409 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:23 pm

That's crazy. At least you did get a refund tho!... Also another reason why one shouldn't order a tank online.

I just posted about petcos next $/gal sale. It runs from 7/9-8/19. It includes all open top tanks up to 55G. Sometimes they include the 75G... Here's the link if you want to subscribe/follow it. I try to keep it updated for others ;)

http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... p?t=112846

Sent from my HTC6515LVW using Tapatalk
Crabbing since Dec. 2010!
35 Crabbies - 28 PP's, 2 E's, 2 Straw's, 1 Viola, & 2 Indo's

daws409

Post by daws409 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:28 pm

Might have already said this but you could also check CraigsList, OfferUp, or LetGo. Search aquarium, reptile, fish tank, terrarium, or just tank... Most come with 'usable' accessories often times at a cheaper price than new!

Topic author
erin.leaman

Post by erin.leaman » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:33 pm

daws409 wrote:Might have already said this but you could also check CraigsList, OfferUp, or LetGo. Search aquarium, reptile, fish tank, terrarium, or just tank... Most come with 'usable' accessories often times at a cheaper price than new!

I paid only $230 for it plus tax and free shipping. I had done some serious shopping around for the last month or so before I became fed up with my current habitat. This was the best one I could find for its size.

daws409

Post by daws409 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:57 pm

To eachs own!

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:05 pm

What are the dimensions? I thought that style only went up to 40 breeder. It sounds like it's too much for what you're actually getting.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

daws409

Post by daws409 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:50 pm

^^ To emphasize the cost of mine... All tanks were purchased used off the sites I provided earlier.

* I paid $125 for my 90G with no stand or hoods and I had to drive 3 hrs there and back to get it... Bad deal but at the time all I could find!
* 3 months later... I paid $115 for my bamboo tank (120G and that doesn't count the topper part (prob b/w 60G & 75G) which eventually will be a jungle area.
* I paid $100 for my 125G. It came with stand, lights, hoods, and other accessories. Oh and it was an optional purchase from the lady I adopted my exotics from. (I got a total of 8 crabs from her)
*I paid $30 for the 40B which is used as a topper for the 125G. This tank also came with accessories.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:31 pm

You got steals Daws! Not everyone is that lucky!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Freckles24

Post by Freckles24 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:43 pm

daws409 wrote:^^ To emphasize the cost of mine... All tanks were purchased used off the sites I provided earlier.

* I paid $125 for my 90G with no stand or hoods and I had to drive 3 hrs there and back to get it... Bad deal but at the time all I could find!
* 3 months later... I paid $115 for my bamboo tank (120G and that doesn't count the topper part (prob b/w 60G & 75G) which eventually will be a jungle area.
* I paid $100 for my 125G. It came with stand, lights, hoods, and other accessories. Oh and it was an optional purchase from the lady I adopted my exotics from. (I got a total of 8 crabs from her)
*I paid $30 for the 40B which is used as a topper for the 125G. This tank also came with accessories.

I paid $20 for my 29 gal and I thought I was lucky! Hahah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:31 pm

I haven't had trouble either with deals. Got a 90 with stand for $75. My 75s were $55 each. Best deal was a 29 gallon complete fish tank with stand and lights and everything for $15. Although the 30 with stand was $10, but it was kinda crappy.

Heck, saw a 40 gallon tonight with lid and heaters and goodies for $25, but not sure I want to drive a half hour to get it since I dont really need it.

Criagslist, Facebook, yard sales. Takes only a few minutes to look and the rewards are excellent. Also check out any animal rescues or reptile rescues. I pretty much just head straight to Herps Alive now when I need a tank because no one beats them.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

daws409

Post by daws409 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:36 pm

Guess you have to know where to look! Lol

@erin.leaman - if you pm me your approx location and how far your willing to travel (and any other details like max price or size), I'd be willing to look for you ;)

Topic author
erin.leaman

Post by erin.leaman » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:34 am

daws409 wrote:^^ To emphasize the cost of mine... All tanks were purchased used off the sites I provided earlier.

Where are you finding all of these deals?!? I live in the middle of Nowheresville! My location is in my bio and how far I can travel depends on whether or not my parents will let me take the car.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

Topic author
erin.leaman

Post by erin.leaman » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:29 am

So I have decided that I am tired of waiting for the tank I ordered, since odds are, it isn't going to come. Today I am going to Richmond to shop for a new tank.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk