Wash & Prep Old Aquarium

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

Topic author
Someoneman

Wash & Prep Old Aquarium

Post by Someoneman » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:04 pm

I managed to pick up a old 65 gal for a steal and am prepping it for use. From vaguely-remembered browsings of related threads years ago, I'm planning to wash off the various residues with water, distilled vinegar and elbow grease, but before I embark, I was wondering if there have been any recent advances in cleaning the old things.

Also, the tank has a pair of 2"-3" holes high up the back for plumbing when in was used as an aquarium, my current plan is to circumscribe them with silicone before slapping a glass or plexi patch over them, but I figured it'd be worth asking for any other ideas. Maybe there's something brilliant I'm overlooking.

soilentgringa

Re: Wash & Prep Old Aquarium

Post by soilentgringa » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:39 pm

Vinegar, water and a razor blade are still the best bet for scraping off deposits. :)

Aquarium safe silicone and a plexiglass patch sounds like a plan. How high up is the hole?

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

Topic author
Someoneman

Post by Someoneman » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:53 am

Razor blades! I knew I was forgetting something. The holes are about 18" and 20" above the baseplate.

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:08 am

Oh yeah just slap a patch over it then if you want.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk