New Ultratherm design?

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

Topic author
Motörcrab

New Ultratherm design?

Post by Motörcrab » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:38 pm

We ordered new Ultratherms from Reptile Basics earlier this week. 11 X 47 and 11 X 11.

These appear to be two solid heating elements instead of the stripe designs I have received in the past from The Bean Farm.

Did anyone else see this style yet?

I am thinking, yea scary thought, that since there is more surface area these may heat better than the striped design.Image

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

hermiwormi

Re: New Ultratherm design?

Post by hermiwormi » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:56 pm

No, I haven't seen this design. I wonder of that design has always existed alongside the striped design, or if it is in fact new...

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using Tapatalk

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:07 pm

Correct me if I am wrong, but I swear the smaller UTH comes in mostly a solid black, while the larger ones (longer) come in striped.

Regardless, they'll heat the same. Its not the black that heats the tank, rather the wire inside.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

amandapri82

Post by amandapri82 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:10 pm

That is what mine looks like...the largest size available.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Topic author
Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:50 pm

I have an 11 x 47 in both types now. We also have one that fits a 20 tall that is the striped we had for a while.

The design of these just threw me off compared to the ones I had. We will be setting up the 55 gallon tomorrow so I should be able to see if there is any difference.

ha_haley

New Ultratherm design?

Post by ha_haley » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:23 pm

Yep! I’ve ordered from both reptile basics and the bean farm. My one for my 40 gallon from reptile basics looks just like that, while my 75 gallon from the bean farm is striped. They’re both great and I don’t notice a difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by ha_haley on Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

LeeHasCrabs

Post by LeeHasCrabs » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:41 am

Both of mine look like what you pictured above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ronbo0032

Post by Ronbo0032 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:40 pm

I’m in the process of setting up my new 55 gal now. I ordered a 11X35 ( which was a suggested size from the site)and it came in a strip. I ordered mine about a month ago. Not sure if they had changed designs. The pamphlet that came with it mentiones mats and strips.

Since we are on the subject of the UTH, I was hoping a more experienced person than myself could help with some info about the Ultratherm. I’m still a newbie to crabbing.

Question 1: which direction does the UTH face? Meaning one side has clear edges and the other is more gold/bronze.

Question 2: about insulating the UTH. Would styrofoam work and how think should it be. I want to attach the heater today to get it accumulated for the transfer of the crabs.

Any help would be great. Thanks.

Topic author
Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:05 pm

We JUST set up a 55 gallon on the weekend using two Ultratherms.

The copper side faces away from he tank. (One side where the cord attaches is flatter and that goes against the tank)

We used Poly Pro Insulation for around ours. It's insulation for home construction. One side is silver and the other side is dark grey. We put the grey side against the tank. The stuff we go was around $10 for a 4X8 sheet.

Ronbo0032

Post by Ronbo0032 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:37 pm

Thank you for the info.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:52 pm

That is what the UTHs look like from reptile basics :) The stripe design is bean farm :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:58 pm

Ronbo0032 wrote:I’m in the process of setting up my new 55 gal now. I ordered a 11X35 ( which was a suggested size from the site)and it came in a strip. I ordered mine about a month ago. Not sure if they had changed designs. The pamphlet that came with it mentiones mats and strips.

Since we are on the subject of the UTH, I was hoping a more experienced person than myself could help with some info about the Ultratherm. I’m still a newbie to crabbing.

Question 1: which direction does the UTH face? Meaning one side has clear edges and the other is more gold/bronze.

Question 2: about insulating the UTH. Would styrofoam work and how think should it be. I want to attach the heater today to get it accumulated for the transfer of the crabs.

Any help would be great. Thanks.
For question 1 - what brand did you buy? Usually the gold bronze is going to face the inside of the tank.
For question 2 - first you want to do aluminum foil - shiny side facing crabitat. Then you want to do styrofoam or cardboard. If necessary repeat process. OR IF YOU PREFER, you can purchase a product called Reflectix (they make the insulation and tape) The insulation will look like a foldable car shade. It is sold in rolls for approx $14-$16. I personally prefer Reflectix. It is reusable every year. I cut it to the size of my crabitats, and then when I don't need it, I roll it up and store it in my closet. Minimal work on my part. The UTHs, and insulation can be put up using packaging tape, duct tape or insulation tape. :)

Edit: If you have a Zoomed heater or any other heater that is similar style to that DO NOT INSULATE OVER IT. it is a fire hazard to do so. You need to insulate around them. :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:13 pm

GotButterflies wrote:That is what the UTHs look like from reptile basics :) The stripe design is bean farm :)
I never knew they offered two types like that. I just figured an Ultratherm was the same no matter where it came from.

They both seem to work about the same from what we noticed so far.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:05 pm

:) They do work the same.

Ronbo0032

Post by Ronbo0032 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:19 am

I purchased the ultratherm from reptile basics. It’s been chaotic in the house here due to holidays and Birthday’s lately so I didn’t check the messages. I actually attached it before I read your post so I don’t think I put the gold/bronze side in. It seems to be working okay. It seemed to fit better with the flatter piece where the cord goes in against the glass. I bought a sheet of polystyrene and cut it to fit. The temp seems to be okay, generally in the 80’s. I have it on a timer so it’s cooler durning the day when they are not active. The timer is on generally from 4pm till 5am. Does that seem like a good idea?? Or should the heat be left on longer or all day. It is colder where I live right now but the temp in the tank doesn’t go below 72 when the heater is off.

I am learning so much from reading the forums and still have a lot of questions. Just want to make sure i’m doing things right. Just want to thank everyone for all the great info.