Possible Upgrade?

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

Topic author
BlookittiePC

Possible Upgrade?

Post by BlookittiePC » Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:11 pm

I'm so excited! Today my dad surprised me by saying "Oh yeah we're going to pick up a bigger tank later." And we just assumed that it was a twenty gallon (I'm currently stuck in a tiny ten-gallon with two small-medium crabs) When we checked the dimensions, it's a 29 gallon! I'm so excited, even though it's a pain because we have to get a bigger stand, heat mat, ect. But the best part: It's for free! :clap:
If you have any upgrading advice for me, I'd love to hear it. Even though it's still not definite, it's more on the plus side. It's perfect timing too, because the crabs are molting but expected up very soon around the same time (one went down a week after the first, but the first to go down is a bit bigger, so I expect them up around the same time) I'm so happy for my crabbies, finally, more room to climb and dig!
Two amazing PPs: Jarvis, who has been with me since 7/14/18, and NewCrab (still unnamed) since 1/11/21!
And a tortoiseshell kitty: Delia

I'm still pretty new to this and I'm trying to learn all I can!

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Possible Upgrade?

Post by aussieJJDude » Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:24 pm

How exciting! Best advice is to plan out what you want to include, and tank pictures are your friend!

(I also look forward to pics!)

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:20 pm

Awesome! My main suggestion is to figure out how to heat the new tank. I bet a quarter of all new posts on here during the winter months are due to not being able to maintain a high enough temperature in the crabitat. It"s usually from not being able to generate enough heat. With a little planning ahead you shouldn't have any issues.

Like aussie said, plan out what you want to do and how to do it. Sketches or run through a million ideas in your head. Browse the picture section to get ideas. Attempt to stay withing your budget! lol Most of all, have fun!
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Topic author
BlookittiePC

Post by BlookittiePC » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:13 pm

Thank you! We ended up getting the tank, and it's currently sitting in our basement, waiting patiently to be filled. I have a few things I'd like to include. Are these good ideas?
-Longer pieces of cholla wood
-A second cocohut
-A spider plant (or some other live plant since I've had problems with them picking at fake ones)
-Much deeper water pools
-Add the climbing wall mat that didn't fit in the ten gallon
-A hamster wheel! I'm so excited for this one!
Also, would it be a good idea to get more crabs? I like the idea of having this tank for a while and just letting them grow into it. My two are currently molting and I expect one to come up a medium and the other a small
Any other suggestions and advice are greatly appreciated, and thank you to those who have already given advice! :)
Two amazing PPs: Jarvis, who has been with me since 7/14/18, and NewCrab (still unnamed) since 1/11/21!

LandFishh

Post by LandFishh » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:59 pm

Ah. I am currently filling up a 36 gallon aquarium and turning it into a crabitat. I will add more crabs once it is finished, and I have completed the process of setting most of it up, including a live pothos which is used to the climate and being watered with distilled water. I have a waterfall plus deep water pools too, just set up in plastic containers. It is not finished yet, though it's very close. I am still thinking of adding a large second level (since it is an aquarium it has a lot of height). Mine won't be done for a while now. If I were you I'd be in the mindset of go big and be patient. Your setup is more important than decorations.
-Longer wood is always a good idea as long as it isn't too big.
-I try to avoid too much clutter, but if you get more crabs you should add another cocohut.
-Try a pothos! (Not sure why, but Golden Pothos is on the unsafe food list. Avoid it...) It is very durable and crabs don't seem to pick at it too much.
-Although I'm not sure, I would avoid pools deeper than 5 inches.
-Definitely add the climbing mat, but also give them something to climb to! This includes a hammock, second level, or something else they might be interested in.
-I don't have a hamster wheel but I'm assuming they would be great as long as you add mesh on the inside for them to grip.
Sorry I couldn't be more help, some of the things you are thinking of adding I haven't even tried yet. Good luck!
Hermit crabs, Fish, (Soon to be snails?), Dog, Garden. :D

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:54 pm

Definitely get a hamster wheel, once they figure out how to use it they’ll always be on it. It gives them the opportunity to walk all the miles they would in the wild. Plus it can be very entertaining when 2 or more are on it together.

angelbearpuppy

Post by angelbearpuppy » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:34 pm

Other ideas you did not list. What about a moss pit or a shell shop
I have owned Hermit Crabs for 2 Years

I have 1 E named Monkey and 2 PP named Shy Guy and Little P

I also own 1 PP named Dory who stays in my classroom

Topic author
BlookittiePC

Post by BlookittiePC » Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:49 pm

A moss pit would be great! What kind of moss is best? I think we have a huge bag of sphagnum moss in our basement but I don't know how old it is...
A shell shop would also help keeping the shells clean! Thank you so much for the suggestions!