Buy it, or no? Help me

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

Topic author
mires

Buy it, or no? Help me

Post by mires » Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:44 pm

Hello there! I want something better for my crabs, now my crabitat is aquarium 60x30x30cm, with wood cover.

Now, I have a chance to buy a $ 35 terarium including lighting and useful decorations. it's a redesigned wardrobe on the terrarium for the chameleon (homemade), the inside of the wardrobe is terrarium sand, like a 3d terrarium background (and front opening glass, it's wardrobe). will prevent sand blasting against high humidity?

I think it's a good purchase, a terrarium equipped with uv fluorescent lamp and led light, 2 ventilation shafts on the side, and a small crack along the glass door. length approx. 80cm, depth 35cm, height approx. 70cm. my question is just that there is no mold due to moisture, but chamaleon needed it too (drinking water from the leaves). thanks for the help :) :crabbigsmile:
Instagram profile about my hermit crabs @hermit_czech

rocknrolla

Re: Buy it, or no? Help me

Post by rocknrolla » Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:27 am

picture would be helpful. but i would rather looking for more suitable tank on local listingsjust because keeping up the humidity is a pain in the butt. you should be able to find great deals on there.

Topic author
mires

Post by mires » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:10 am

rocknrolla wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:27 am
picture would be helpful. but i would rather looking for more suitable tank on local listingsjust because keeping up the humidity is a pain in the butt. you should be able to find great deals on there.
it's reason what i am thinking about ... if i'll buy it, it need some changes, but i don't want something bad for my crabs because it's cheap. here are pictures:
Image Image

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:26 am

mires wrote: it's reason what i am thinking about ... if i'll buy it, it need some changes, but i don't want something bad for my crabs because it's cheap. here are pictures:
Image Image
Chameleons need high humidity, so the tank may already be equipped for it. Have you tried asking the seller?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
mires

Post by mires » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:58 am

Chameleons need high humidity, so the tank may already be equipped for it. Have you tried asking the seller?

[/quote]

Yes, This photos are taken by me, I seen this tank. I just don't know about problems with humidity and potencial mold in this tank, and gripping things on walls - it's sand on wood, not glass. Seller had in this tank chameleon, and he used water in spray for humidity.

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Buy it, or no? Help me

Post by JoeHermits » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:04 am

I would expect the wood to be treated to accommodate the humidity. Your call on that. The sand on wood does give a few limitations, though. Did you have plans for decorating the sides?

ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:49 pm

Pics aren't working for me

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.
Follow my hermit crab learning journey on instagram! @hermitcrabs_in_the_boot

Topic author
mires

Post by mires » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:56 pm

Yes, height is about 70cm, so some plants and ropes, grid... but the sucker will probably not work on the sand wall, huh?

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:35 pm

mires wrote:Yes, height is about 70cm, so some plants and ropes, grid... but the sucker will probably not work on the sand wall, huh?
Probably not. I guess you could try leaning large branches and wrapping things around those, but yeah, you’ll have to be creative.

Topic author
mires

Post by mires » Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:12 am

JoeHermits wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:35 pm
Probably not. I guess you could try leaning large branches and wrapping things around those, but yeah, you’ll have to be creative.

Ok, good idea! Iľl buy it and rebuild tank for my crabs. Thank you. :banana:
For better humanidy in this biggest tank, will be fine some bubble in water, or waterfall?

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:53 am

mires wrote: Ok, good idea! Iľl buy it and rebuild tank for my crabs. Thank you. :banana:
For better humanidy in this biggest tank, will be fine some bubble in water, or waterfall?
Bubbles are definitely an option. Keep an eye on the waterfall, as crabs tend to wreck those with sand.

Topic author
mires

Post by mires » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:51 am

JoeHermits wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:53 am
Bubbles are definitely an option. Keep an eye on the waterfall, as crabs tend to wreck those with sand.

Ok. I will try to do it, I will have a lot of space for creativity for a little money. I have now just coco substrate, its maybe smaller problem than sand in waterfall, but bubble is cheaper and more creative variant. thanx, i am looking for it.

hermiwormi

Post by hermiwormi » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:35 am

mires wrote:Hello there! I want something better for my crabs, now my crabitat is aquarium 60x30x30cm, with wood cover.

Now, I have a chance to buy a $ 35 terarium including lighting and useful decorations. it's a redesigned wardrobe on the terrarium for the chameleon (homemade), the inside of the wardrobe is terrarium sand, like a 3d terrarium background (and front opening glass, it's wardrobe). will prevent sand blasting against high humidity?

I think it's a good purchase, a terrarium equipped with uv fluorescent lamp and led light, 2 ventilation shafts on the side, and a small crack along the glass door. length approx. 80cm, depth 35cm, height approx. 70cm. my question is just that there is no mold due to moisture, but chamaleon needed it too (drinking water from the leaves). thanks for the help :) :crabbigsmile:
I have a similar terrarium to what you described. My crabs use the background all night long, and my small guys are so little that they can perch on some of the rock-like structure. I haven't had any problems with it since I got it, and my crabs sure love it.

5 PPs: Koa, Moja, Siam, Chella, and Ozark

hermiwormi

Post by hermiwormi » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:38 am

ciaraalston wrote:Pics aren't working for me Image

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
The pictures are also not working for me. Have you found a solution?

5 PPs: Koa, Moja, Siam, Chella, and Ozark

Topic author
mires

Post by mires » Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:49 am

Sorry, I dont were here, ups :( I had this terrarium cabinet, and it was BAD for crabs. But good experience for me.
Yes, looks good, it is so much place to be creative, but its very danger, much decstruction... and problems with humidity. I am coming back to classic glass aquarium. Pictures of old terrarium you can check on my instagram @hermit_czech. Now I am working on new tank. I am almost done, need more plants (pictures of new tank I donťt have)