10 gal crab tank

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

Topic author
scuttlecrusty22

10 gal crab tank

Post by scuttlecrusty22 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:07 pm

Hey guys!!! :o I have a 10 gallon tank for my 2 crabs, the humidity is always a stable 70%-75% (maybe 60% in the morning before misting) and the temperature is around 72-80 degrees fahrenheit. There is 3 to 4 inches of sand (play sand) in the tank and there is a aquarium topper with clip wrap on it for humidity. 2 bowls of water salt and fresh, and tons of different food varieties. 3 growing shells (natural and no paint)(planning on buying more)

The conditions of my tank are perfect but I still feel like it's not natural enough for the crabs. I have a big fake plant in the tank that they LOVE to hide under, a moss hiding place and a moss pit. Does anyone have and suggestions for improving my tank and making it more homie for my little guys? Pictures would be appriciated. I would send pictures of my tank but Idk how😕
(Scuttle, Crusty) crabs, (Buster,Ruby) chihuahuas, (Bugs) goat, (Echo) betta fish (Skittles,Sky) parakeets

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, he gave his only begotten son that whosoever believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life"

BlookittiePC

Re: 10 gal crab tank

Post by BlookittiePC » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:20 pm

Hello! I have had my two small crabs in a ten gallon for half a year now (I'm upgrading soon!) And I have a few tips to make the most of the space you have.

A cocohut will be greatly appreciated by your crabbies for the extra place to hide despite the room it will take up.
The fake plant is a wonderful idea, mine loved theirs before it was removed because of chewing reasons.
I got this vine thing from a pet store (the smallest kind) that I can bend to fit in the space. My crabs love climbing all over it!
Cholla wood is a great way for the crabbies to reach new heights in their tank!
Depending on the heaters you have, you may need another one. 80 degrees is the recommended average temp.
As for humidity, it's hard. Misting is helpful temporarily, but what I've found is that it only wets the sand. Moss is helpful in this area, but I have limited experience and I hope someone else can step in and provide more advice. In an averagely proportioned ten gallon, six inches of sand is the max if you still want space for everything else.
In general, a ten gallon is just the start to crabbing. It will last you about half a year before you're anxious to upgrade. And your crabs will grow regardless the space you have. Only two smalls will fit in a ten gallon, once they get bigger a twenty is in order.
Here's a picture of my previous setup (the fake plant has since been replaced by a spider plant that didn't fare well) Hope more advice is offered! So far what you're doing is pretty good!
Two amazing PPs: Jarvis, who has been with me since 7/14/18, and NewCrab (still unnamed) since 1/11/21!
And a tortoiseshell kitty: Delia

I'm still pretty new to this and I'm trying to learn all I can!

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:33 pm

Substrate needs to be at least 6 inches, or three times as deep as your largest crab. It should be moistened with dechlorinated fresh or salt water to start (then just dechlor fresh used after that), and be sand castle consistency. Most of us use a mixture of 5 parts sand to 1 part Eco Earth. It not only holds it's shape well, but also helps with humidity. Your humidity is too low, it should be 80%, or even more.
What are you using for a heat source?
What do you have for a lid on the tank?
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
scuttlecrusty22

Post by scuttlecrusty22 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:12 am

Hello and thank you for your comment!!! I have an aquarium topper on my 10gal tank and it is FULL of moss that keeps the humitity up in the bottom half of the tank, on top of that there is cling wrap keeping the humitity in the top layer (moss pit/climbing). The humitity is always around 75-80 after a misting and all through the day, I've read that is your humitity is at 80% it will grow mold but it hasn't yet so idrk. :| The substrate is deep enough for my crabs to both submerge in it but...there is always room for improvement :wink: Thank you for your comment.
(Scuttle, Crusty) crabs, (Buster,Ruby) chihuahuas, (Bugs) goat, (Echo) betta fish (Skittles,Sky) parakeets

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, he gave his only begotten son that whosoever believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life"

Topic author
scuttlecrusty22

Post by scuttlecrusty22 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:14 am

I don't have a heat source because my house always stays at 75degrees to 80degrees (and the crabs room is always the hottest in the house). I plan to purchase a repti-heating pad for the side of the tank during the summer when my house is a bit to cool for the little guys.

Topic author
scuttlecrusty22

Post by scuttlecrusty22 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:16 am

Thank you for all of the tank decor ideas!!! I will definatly try out some of those and I plan on purchasing a climbing background/net and some more plants soon!!! :lol: :crabbigsmile:

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:05 pm

Mold isn't harmful to the crabs, it's only a problem if their human has allergies. There is no such thing as 'too high' humidity for crabs, but at least 80% is recommended. Crabs need the humidity to breathe through their modified gills.
When crabs molt, they make tunnels and caves. If another crab goes digging and comes across a molting crab, they can kill it. That's why substrate is recommended to be at least 6 inches or three times as deep as your largest crab, not just to submerge but to have enough space for everyone to dig happily and safely.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

BlookittiePC

Post by BlookittiePC » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:33 pm

I have a climbing mat... it most likely won't fit in the tank if you're adding more plants. It's probably better to wait until you upgrade to buy it, or it will end up with all the stuff you don't have the room to use (like mine did)
Two amazing PPs: Jarvis, who has been with me since 7/14/18, and NewCrab (still unnamed) since 1/11/21!
And a tortoiseshell kitty: Delia

I'm still pretty new to this and I'm trying to learn all I can!

Topic author
scuttlecrusty22

Post by scuttlecrusty22 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:00 pm

Thank you both for the wonderful and helpful comments :P I actually just did add about 3 more inches to my crabitat so that makes it about 5 1/2 to 6" deep now!!! I moved things around in their tank and added some climbing material.(they enjoy checking everything out) Thanks to all of your helpful comments I have made some improvements to my tank and am much happier with their home now!!! :o Thank you all!!!

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:31 pm

curlysister wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:33 pm
Your humidity is too low, it should be 80%, or even more.
As long as it is above 70%, it is fine. However, they certainly do better and respond - more active - when the humidity is around 75% - 85%, and also offers you a bit of leg room to ensure it doesn't drop too much.

http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... 26&t=92544
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
scuttlecrusty22

Post by scuttlecrusty22 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:17 pm

Ok thanks :crabbigsmile:

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:54 pm

Thanks for the correction, Aussie. I suppose I am using the old 80/80 for temp and humidity - which is half way between the ideal 75-85%, LOL.
Was thinking for the OP, that if it's usually 70-75% and dips to 60%, it could use some boosting to be in the ideal range the majority of the time.

Plasmoc

Post by Plasmoc » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:07 am

@Blookittie where did you get that large winding tree limb from? Are your crabs able to climb it?

What is a tank topper? I’ve seen that mentioned here before but haven’t figured out how it works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
scuttlecrusty22

Post by scuttlecrusty22 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:09 am

Plasmoc

Post by Plasmoc » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:10 pm

Thanks @scuttlecrusty! How does that work with hermit crabs? Do you cover it in plastic to keep the humidity in? If you do a half one how to you cover the other part of the tank where a lid should be?

Sorry I’m moving next week and was really hoping to upgrade from 10 gallon to a 20 gallon, but it’s outside of my budget right now. Wondering if there’s an inexpensive way to do this to give my little guys more room until I can upgrade. $100+ for a tank is ouch right now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk