Upgrading to a more suitable home. My first real scapeing attempt.

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

Topic author
angelbearpuppy

Post by angelbearpuppy » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:42 pm

Hello everyone,

I have been gone a while but now I am back. I am planning on upgrading my 5 gallon bow-front my two small crabs have been using to a more suitable 10 gallon enclosure and maybe pick up another buddy along the way. I would like to point out I know it was small but it was never meant to be a permanent home. As I still live under my parents roof I have to respect their boundaries. As one of them has molted three times successfully and changed shells twice I think I have managed decently so far. Anyways, now however he/she has become an escape artist, which has me able to convince them that I needed a bigger tank. Ten gallons is a start. Hopefully by the time I need to upgrade again, I will have my own place and it won't be a problem.

With tax return time and overtime now is a good time as any to start thinking, searching and collecting some ideas.

Hermiesguardian

Re: Upgrading to a more suitable home. My first real scapeing attempt.

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:47 am

If you're only able to get a 10gal, just stay with the 2 crabs. And make sure the conditions are best as they can be. 6" sandcastle consistancy substrate, heat, humidity. Pools for them to submerge.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
angelbearpuppy

Post by angelbearpuppy » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:36 am

Yeah, your probably right in the long run. I know all the general guidelines. Like I said they are pretty small, I would classify them more as medium or 50 cent piece big now. They were quarter sized or a little smaller when I first got them. Now one is between the two, and one is right at said size. I knew I would need to upgrade and do want what is best for them. Just like I knew they were small when I got them and would be fine for a little while in their home. I guess I just want people to know that I did not go into this blind..... 2 small at the 2.5 gallons of recommended space is 5 gallons.
and according to this artificial I had on here, it takes a little while for them to grow:
I know it didn't allow space for two deep pools. So I rotate the saltwater and freshwater weekly. So we made it work. And now we are getting a bigger better tank, with a second level, two pools all the time and some more space to climb and dig, and play in general. I am not trying to justify myself, just explain my thinking process.

Anyways,

So this is mainly me thinking out loud and recording to make sure I have everything I need written down somewhere. And when I get the supplies post pictures kind of thing. And to make sure I am not missing anything. A second pair of eyes to help me out.

Basic Shopping List
 Hermit Crabs - they need friends.
 A Place for Them to Live – aquarium, 10 gallons
 A Lid - screen lid w/clips or aquarium lid, [I will wrap the screen with plastic wrap or tinfoil, though I am going to aim for a full lid if I can find one I like in budget.
 Heat Source - under tank heater
 Water Dechlorinator – for fish or reptile Already own API water declorinator, as I take care of fish
 Substrate - silica playsand and/or cocofiber About how many bricks/bags do you think is needed to get at least 6 inches of play room? Right now I am thinking at least one brick of ecoearth, maybe two, then mix in the sand.
 2 Water Bowls - they need to be deep enough to submerge
 Salt Mix - for saltwater fish only I use instant ocean so I already have it
 Thermometer I have one of those digital accuvite ones that are recommended on here
 Extra Shells – natural, the same size and larger I already have a decent selection here
 Food Bowl - clam shells, and water bottle lids for liquids I have a lot of these on hand
 Items to Climb On – decorations or driftwood I like using natural tree branches I collect outside, pesticide free. I boil them in salt water, before use. I also have a variety of random aquarium decorations.
 Places to Hide - cocohuts, caves, fake plants see above
 Plants for Cover - silk or plastic see above
 Hand Mister - I have a handy dandy spray bottle from walMart
 Reptile Moss
 Calcium Source - cuttlebone, crushed coral, egg shell I keep cuttlebone in the tank at all times, I also offer calcium fortified foods at least 2 - 4 times a week maybe more or less
 Wayze Camera - for fun, I just kind of want to see what they do after lights out

---------------------------------------The PLAN---------------------------------------

Nothing too fancy yet: I am kind of open to suggestions.

I do plan on making a second level that will contain a small moss pit, and/or shell shop, I am also looking into wanting a climbing background, maybe made out of vines, or fake ledges so it will appear natural. I kind of a tropical island feel, maybe use some real drift wood, if I can find a decent piece to buy that will fit. I am not good with putting it in words. Right at this stage in planning I am more worried about making sure I have all the basics, and then move on to design, and then putting it together.
I have owned Hermit Crabs for 2 Years

I have 1 E named Monkey and 2 PP named Shy Guy and Little P

I also own 1 PP named Dory who stays in my classroom

Jamison

Post by Jamison » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:16 am

Be careful with misting. It can cause a flood if you do it to much. Otherwise I love the plans
2 purple pinchers
1 old dog

I will miss you Lloyd! Good luck up In Hermie Heaven!
You to Hagrid!

Topic author
angelbearpuppy

Post by angelbearpuppy » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:30 am

Yeah. I tend to mist.....maybe once or twice a week and only if needed. Since I have to take the whole lid off when putting in food ECT right now it plays with my humidity sometimes. One reason why I am looking into a moss pit with this upgrade.

Hmm I am using a screen lid. I might thread some vines through the screen to make a canopy feel.

Sent from my LGL157BL using Tapatalk

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:06 am

I have a screen lid and taped on a piece of plexi glass I got at the hobby shop. Works great for keeping in humidity. Seems like you have what you need on your list. Keep in mind, especially with the pools a 10gal will be really cramped with everything they need. I started out with a 10gal too. If possible go for a larger tank.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
angelbearpuppy

Post by angelbearpuppy » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:16 am

How do you cut plexi glass. Or were you able to find it premeasured?

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:39 am

I am pretty sure you can score plexiglass with a sharp utility knife. Be sure to wear gloves and eye protection. Use a straight edge and cut along that to make a straight cut. You may need to make several passes to make the cut deep enough. Once you get a deep cut you should be able snap it apart leaving a clean cut.

When I got my piece of plexiglass I went to a glass dealer and gave them the dimensions 16" X 22" I wanted. I also had them cut a 6" hole in the center for a UV bulb to shine directly down. It was around $30 for that piece.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:17 pm

angelbear122189 wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:16 am
How do you cut plexi glass. Or were you able to find it premeasured?

My husband used a utility knife.

Topic author
angelbearpuppy

Post by angelbearpuppy » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:12 pm

Alright well that seems easy enough. For some reason it seems like or should be harder. Maybe that is me. I should be picking up the tank and lid by next weekend when my paycheck comes in. I already have one crazy hermi that has proven to be an escape artist. So a screen lid with clamps just for my own piece of mind. How would you attach the plexi glass. I am assuming silicon. Or would you recommend something else?

Overmountain1

Post by Overmountain1 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:15 pm

angelbear122189 wrote:How do you cut plexi glass. Or were you able to find it premeasured?

What they said- sharp knife/object and straight edge- make sure to score it significantly allll the way end to end for a clean snap, but no need to cut halfway thru it either. And yes to the eye protection too. Image I’m positive there will be how tos on YouTube!!

Sounds like you’re on your way to a great tank! It does seem like 10 is huge, after having a little one especially, but floor space did fill up super fast for me too. If you can score a tank on Craigslist or LetGo/similar, you may be able to get more of what you need and want for your budget. Good luck, and if you want a new buddy, I wouldn’t think it was out of the question. You will know when it gets to be time to go even bigger. Plans rule.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:46 pm

10 gallon tanks are a bit of a challenge decorating with all the essentials needed for basic crab care. Real estate runs out pretty quick once you add both water pools, hide and food dishes. I managed to put this 10 G together late last year for 3 small rescues we received. I'm sure with a little more work and planning I could add a wheel or another thing to climb on.

Hopefully this will give you some ideas for your tank.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Topic author
angelbearpuppy

Post by angelbearpuppy » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:50 pm

Motörcrab wrote:10 gallon tanks are a bit of a challenge decorating with all the essentials needed for basic crab care. Real estate runs out pretty quick once you add both water pools, hide and food dishes. I managed to put this 10 G together late last year for 3 small rescues we received. I'm sure with a little more work and planning I could add a wheel or another thing to climb on.

Hopefully this will give you some ideas for your tank.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Yes. I know it will be a challenge. We work with what we can. I like the net wall in the back.

Overmountain1

Post by Overmountain1 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:56 pm

Yes! Too true. Maybe a silly question, but are those nets all made out of the same thing, and if so what? If not is there a certain type I need to watch for more than another? That is actually one of my main goals for Feb, to upgrade the back wall and maybe side too!

So- net- where to find? Anywhere, including Petsmart? TIA!!

Also- thanks for the ideas. I’ve not been liking how much space the log I have takes up although I love the log itself- it offers 4 entrances, and plants on two outside ‘walls,’ a flat top to hang out on, and two cutouts covered with screening for them to climb if they wish. It is really cool, but really large, and now they have almost no open floor and it’s so not cool! However, teeny Patrick is buried somewhere under/inside the thing so I gotta wait either way. Hence Dave’s other playground he visits. If I can make the space without the log I’ve considered a wheel too. The Wonder Crab needs his workout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:31 pm

The netting is actual used fish net we picked up at Hobby Lobby. You can get a large piece for for around $8. Before adding it to the tank I boil it water for a few minutes to clean it. You also can order smaller pieces from shell shops and some hermit crab food sellers on Etsy.

https://www.hobbylobby.com/Party-Baking ... et/p/45211

We always buy our plasting plants at Hobby Lobby too. They usually have them 50% off. We just avoid buying ones with stuff that can flake or off like glitter, or berries that they pick off. We also avoid the ones that have fabric leaves. Same as the netting dip it into boiling water to clean and get any funk off of it. Just stick it into the pot, swirl it around then pull it out. If it's in the hot water too long it will melt the leaves.