Enrichment Toy?

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

Topic author
Motörcrab

Enrichment Toy?

Post by Motörcrab » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:35 pm

Pretty much all of us add exercise wheels, spinners, netting, and other items to give our hermits some enrichment and stimulation.

I got to thinking about food enrichment toy. You know, like how you can put treats in special dog toys as they play with it treats fall out giving them a snack when you are away. I am thinking about trying to make something similar for my hermits. I want to make it safe so they won't get their claws stuck trying to get at foods.

Did anyone ever try this? I'm not sure how they would react or if it would be a good idea. On one side I think it would be great! It would give them something else to do and would force them to "work" a little for some foods rather than just sit at the food bowls. On the other side it may be considered teasing or cruel making something hard for they to get at. Last thing I want to is stress out a crab because it just wants a quick snack and they can't figure out how to get it.

Am I overthinking this?
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

RiNiKy506

Re: Enrichment Toy?

Post by RiNiKy506 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:34 pm

I think it would be cool, I’m sure in the wild they’ve had to get to some places to get their food. Like you said, as long as it wasn’t something they could get hurt on. They do seem to enjoy playing and keeping busy, I think they’d enjoy it.

Rod♡Salty♡Bob♡Squirt♡Crabina♡Who
»-♡-> Our Purple Pinchers <-♡-«

Overmountain1

Post by Overmountain1 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:56 pm

I had actually thought something along the same lines- about how they do get bored, and about how it’s just too easy to belly up at the food bar for them! Lol
I give mine their honey in the honeycomb, and I just love seeing how they clean every bit of it out of the little nooks and crannies! They actually seem to enjoy that; I have found the honeycomb empty but a couple drops still in the bottom of the shell. Anyway- yes!
I think if it was work without being too hard it would be perfect... now to find just such a balance... right? If anyone can figure this out I’m sure you can! Please keep us updated on the progress if you decide to follow this one through!

Dave the Wondercrab~Patpat the Scaredy Cat~MaggieMoo-Dumbo~Billy

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:06 am

How about small pieces of food in cholla? Or smear some peanut butter inside it.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:20 am

I know crabbers in the past use to move the food bowl around the tank (include placing on levels) every couple of days so they don't have a dedicated food area. That could work.

This topic has been brought up in the past, and I've seen some genius ideas that for some reason my mind is blanking on. Lemme see if I can find some links that may inspire!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

angelbearpuppy

Post by angelbearpuppy » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:11 am

I do something simmiliar. I place each of their foods in clean bottle caps and scatter them different places around the tank so they have to "hunt" them. I also tend to chamge the minor non attatched decor every 3 or 4 months to keep them active

Sent from my LGL157BL using Tapatalk

I have owned Hermit Crabs for 2 Years

I have 1 E named Monkey and 2 PP named Shy Guy and Little P

I also own 1 PP named Dory who stays in my classroom

Topic author
Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:31 pm

I move my dishes around here and there. When I put a dish on second level in the new 20 they almost instantly knocked it to the ground and food was EVERYWHERE! I guess they wanted to break it in!

I have two different ideas I'm going to try. I like one more than the other but I'll try both tonight when I get home. One is going to be for their plant and protein dishes. The other will be for special treats like popcorn.

I'm thinking the idea for the treats is the better one. I know they always devour popcorn almost as soon as it's put in the dishes. I think this will allow them to work for it a little more. Luckily I have the cams and I will be able to see how they react. Just as long as I don't see them pick up a dish and smash it against the tank I think we will be good! Lol

purplepincher

Post by purplepincher » Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:34 pm

should i move their water, or will it confuse them?
I love my little Acorn! #besthermitcrabever
I also Love Jesus! My favorite food is doughnuts, my favorite drink is orange soda,
and my favorite color is gold! (I like shiny things)

I am also a Die hard Lego fan!

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:11 pm

purplepincher wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:34 pm
should i move their water, or will it confuse them?
How are your water bowls set up? Many of us have them doubled up so when removing it to clean the bottom bowl keeps the shape in the substrate in case there are any molters underneath it.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

purplepincher

Post by purplepincher » Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:19 pm

one on one side, one on the other. both are against the wall
I love my little Acorn! #besthermitcrabever
I also Love Jesus! My favorite food is doughnuts, my favorite drink is orange soda,
and my favorite color is gold! (I like shiny things)

I am also a Die hard Lego fan!

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:39 pm

You can move the water around, they have a pretty good sense of smell and able to differentiate the difference between fresh and salt.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

jclee

Post by jclee » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:40 pm

I have a bird treat ball that I got for my guinea pigs, but they never really got into it. This thread is making me realize it might be a great way to make the crabs work for some of their food.

The treat toy:
https://www.vbirdshop.com/foraging-toys ... l-foot-toy

I also think of regularly swapping out shells as enrichment. As soon as they hear those shells clunking into the tank, everyone perks up and starts checking them out.
120G with 5 hermit crabs, varied ages/sizes, most are jumbo by this point.
I have a bunch of other critters, too! You can see them all here:
https://www.instagram.com/profjcscritters/

Topic author
Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:15 pm

Here's my first attempt andfavorite of my two ideas. These are little 1" X 1" crafting mesh cubes I built. I used an X-acto knife to cut small square holes in each face to allow small claw access.

Their favorite treat is popcorn so I mixed up a special batch to entice them. Two pieces fit into each cube tightly.

Both are now in the 75 G. Let's see what the all decide to do now!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:22 pm

I can’t wait to see what they do! So cool! You always have the greatest ideas!

Rod♡Salty♡Bob♡Squirt♡Crabina♡Who
»-♡-> Our Purple Pinchers <-♡-«

angelbearpuppy

Post by angelbearpuppy » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:23 pm

Yeah me neither. Definatly watching thred for responses.

Sent from my LGL157BL using Tapatalk

I have owned Hermit Crabs for 2 Years

I have 1 E named Monkey and 2 PP named Shy Guy and Little P

I also own 1 PP named Dory who stays in my classroom