Egg crate

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

Topic author
Scarletfire

Egg crate

Post by Scarletfire » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:48 am

For those who use egg crate, do you find that there's a preference to attach burlap, netting, cemert, driftwood, vs plastic canvas for crabby climbing?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Hungrytree

Re: Egg crate

Post by Hungrytree » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:08 pm

I’m interested too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:40 pm

It all depends on the size of the crabs and preference. With the babies we adopted craft mesh is perfect for their tiny legs to grip. With most other crabs they can climb directly on the egg crate so you don't really need much for them to climb. I like attaching wheels, plants, Cholla and other things with zip ties to the egg crate. It saves a lot of clean up and sprucing up the tank.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:16 am

Ziptieing things like wood and plastic plants over the top is always a good way to create second levels. Or shower caddies.

But I agree with above, eggcrate is fine for most crabs except for the exceptionally small.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
Scarletfire

Post by Scarletfire » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:59 pm

I'm going to use egg crate to make a second level; do they need a flat surface to walk on, or can they make do with plain egg crate? I was thinking of coconut mat, like for hanging plantar as they're currently on sale, but. It sure about durability and preferences.

KrankyKrab

Post by KrankyKrab » Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:18 pm

I am too. I decided on using plastic mesh on top so my little bitty babies can safely walk across.

I also have burlap but I’m not too confident about mold tendencies so I’ll reserve that for the items I can quickly pull out and revamp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ronbo0032

Post by Ronbo0032 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:38 pm

I’m making a second level out of PVC and I’m using the egg crate as the floor. I was going to put some coconut fiber on top because I as well was curious if they would have a problem walking on it. I have a narrow strip extending out that I was going to attach a net to it as the floor, but again, worried if they’ll have difficulty walking or getting stuck.
Has anyone had issues with them getting stuck or having issues with the hemp netting?

I posted some pics on what I’m building but I think it was in the wrong forum. I’ll have to add it to this one.

Topic author
Scarletfire

Post by Scarletfire » Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:06 pm

Some of my crabs like climbing the net. My eventual final building will have all types of ways to climb. The other day, I bought the coconut fiber basket for flower baskets (on clearance). I'll be lining baskets with it.