Need Plexiglass

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

Topic author
Moe2076

Need Plexiglass

Post by Moe2076 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:59 pm

So tonight I was feeding crabs and I went to re- cover the tank with a glass lid that I have cut and grinded and I was holding it one handed by a corner and it broke, hit the tank and shattered into a bazillion pieces! Thankfully crabs were all still sleeping , most of the pieces fell on the floor. and I found probably the last 2 pieces of glass I have in the basement that I can use as covers.

Which has brought me to my current dilemma: I need to find 2 pieces of plexiglass 22 in by 16.25 inches. Where's a good place to look or get it ordered from?
18 PP: 2 teenie 3 small Gumbo; 1 small/med shell diva; 6 med: Evil Kenival 6 med/large
3 dogs: Maltipoo Tosh Pomeranian/Spitz Kaylee: Rotwieler/hound Bear
4 cats: Dottie calico Luna: DSH grey and white Moxie:kitten with spunk Ellis:Big lovey orange tabby

Scarletfire

Re: Need Plexiglass

Post by Scarletfire » Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:23 pm

Your local hardware store should have Plexiglas in different sizes. You'll just need to cut it yourself.

Glass is a pretty stock material for lids. Usually, Plexiglas is used as a lower cost item. Plexiglas is lighter (crabs have gotten out before from threads I've read) , and could bow downwards over time.

How did you remove the lid? Slide, hinge or lift up? Theres an opportunity to upgrade the lid.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:45 pm

I ordered a piece of plexiglass with a hole in the center for an UVB bulb. I called a glass shop that sells replacement glass for windows and doors and other stuff. It is for half of a 75 so similar in size to what you are looking for. It was around $30 but included the hole in the center. I'm sure it would have been cheaper without.

Like Scarletfire said mine did bow a bit with only the weight of a light on top.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Topic author
Moe2076

Post by Moe2076 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:49 pm

Hmmm good points as always. I was thinking about maybe trying to hinge on the 75. Currently I have 4 pieces cut from what I had available from a stained glass collection covering the 40. I need something to cover the 75 while the 3 down in the 40 finish up molting, I can take the glass off the 40 for the 75 after that. I'll have to cut it a little but that's not too much trouble. Once the crabs molting are done I wont need as much because the 40 will be a topper. I'll probably just need 1 piece 12 inches so it doesn't have to be permanent just last till the molting is over. I'll look for something on the thicker and sturdier side and cover it with some weight and watch how high the can easily get until I can get the topper on.
18 PP: 2 teenie 3 small Gumbo; 1 small/med shell diva; 6 med: Evil Kenival 6 med/large
4 cats: Dottie calico Luna: DSH grey and white Moxie:kitten with spunk Ellis:Big lovey orange tabby

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:46 am

I got my plexiglass at Hobby Lobby. About $6 for a sheet. By cutting it down I was able to cover my 75 gal lid.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
Moe2076

Post by Moe2076 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:16 am

Hermiesguardian wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:46 am
I got my plexiglass at Hobby Lobby. About $6 for a sheet. By cutting it down I was able to cover my 75 gal lid.
Ooo that's a good price. I have a hobby lobby trip planned this weekend. I found it online at Lowes as well and I can get away with 2 sheets that I wouldn't have to cut.