Ideas for decor?

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

Topic author
Jen.miller

Ideas for decor?

Post by Jen.miller » Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:38 pm

Good morning! I spent ALL of yesterday excavating sugar ants out of my 40 gallon crabitat (and muttering some choice words)

Luckily, I stopped seeing ants about 3 inches down, and I didn't encounter any of my 3 that are down. (Whew!!!)

Since I had to be down to bare sub, I took the opportunity to completely redo the decor (I wasn't happy with it anyway, but I didn't want to disturb the tank)

Here are the pics - I would really super appreciate any ideas for any changes, and particularly to find something for the pool end. It just looks so EMPTY.

Thanks so much!ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

MauiMama

Re: Ideas for decor?

Post by MauiMama » Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:13 pm

I'm a fan of more fake plants, especially vines, and varied-length cholla wood put in at different angles/inclines. I especially had fun crafting some platforms and a connecting bridge out of popsicle sticks. Looks nice in the tank and gives them a second level :D

You could also put up a climbing mat or netting on the wall behind the water dishes, or angled out over the dishes from the corners.

•°☆~♡~☆°• MauiMama•°☆~♡~☆°•

C_fiesta

Post by C_fiesta » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:11 pm

I love your tank set up! I would add more fake plants! I have fake succulents in mine that look nice. What type of cameras do you have and are they in the tank?
Hey! I'm Christine! I have 5 hermit crabs. Join me on Instagram @christinescrabcare. Also, checkout my Etsy shop www.etsy.com/shop/christinescrabcare

Topic author
Jen.miller

Post by Jen.miller » Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:03 pm

I took your advice on the greenery, and you were 100% right! Not only does it improve the tank visually, but my crabs are out a lot more! Thank you!ImageImage

Topic author
Jen.miller

Post by Jen.miller » Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:05 pm

C_fiesta wrote:I love your tank set up! I would add more fake plants! I have fake succulents in mine that look nice. What type of cameras do you have and are they in the tank?
They are the Wyze HD from Amazon. Yes, they are inside, I found suction cup soap dishes and velcro them on. :)

MauiMama

Post by MauiMama » Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:57 pm

It looks a lot more homey! I feel like creatures from nature appreciate a natural-looking setup. :D

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

•°☆~♡~☆°• MauiMama•°☆~♡~☆°•

HappyHermit0916

Post by HappyHermit0916 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:40 pm

Your crabitat is beautiful!!!! I might add in a hammock or a rope! Good job!!!
29 gallon crabitat and 20 gallon long crabitat
My hermit crab YouTube channel: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCJWuO8Urh5X94yipfRNiVRA
RIP Lola, the best hermit crab
Love you Reynie, Piper, Opal, Ridley, and Jasper