my crabitat build photo journal!!

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

tlivs

Post by tlivs » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:45 am

wow with all those built in hideys you'll never see your crabs!
this is incredible and i am impressed you figured out a plan to do this
i dont think i would have ever thought of most things you are doing
arthur, charlie, ralph, hunter and oliver
rip. benjamin

emberfusion

Post by emberfusion » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:54 am

For some reason I can't see page 3 of this thread. :(

Topic author
curious_kitty

Post by curious_kitty » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:55 am

hi tlivs~ I have two caves for them. one that you see in front of the tank, and one in right hand corner(not done yet though). I took these hidey pic just for you :)
Last edited by curious_kitty on Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Godmother to two tuxedo cats, PPs and Es, violas, indos, strawberries and ruggies, Wifey to one VERY patient hubby
200g crabitank under construction started on 4/10/2010

Topic author
curious_kitty

Post by curious_kitty » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:57 am

meldamiriel wrote:For some reason I can't see page 3 of this thread. :(
hi meldamiriel,~ That happens to me sometimes. there is a scroll on the right hand side, and just scroll all the way down. You should see them. I dont know why it does that :?: :?:
Godmother to two tuxedo cats, PPs and Es, violas, indos, strawberries and ruggies, Wifey to one VERY patient hubby

crabbymommie

Post by crabbymommie » Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:49 pm

I would love to have a tank that huge and amazing but I am pretty sure my husband would kill me. :hlol:
visit me at http://hermitcrabcolony.blogspot.com/

37 crabs and counting. 75 gallon and a 40 breeder.
Mother to an anazing 4 year old boy. My husband thinks I am obsessed with hermies but I love them. Who can say no to those cute little eyes staring up at you? No, really, `cuz I can't.

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:37 pm

This is going to be amazing!

I have a dumb question about the fan. Is there a cover to keep the crabbies from getting too close to the blade?

Dog Lips

Post by Dog Lips » Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:59 pm

Wowzers!

Tank is coming along nicely. Can't wait to see the finished product!

Oh and maybe put some moss on the foam walls after you put the soil on it, make it look more jungly and help that Humidity :)
^^^^^^^^^^^^|II ___
| ______________ l '|""";..,l ____
|_…_…______===|= _|__|…, ] |=
"(@ )'(@ )""""*|(@ )(@ )*****(@)

Topic author
curious_kitty

Post by curious_kitty » Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:43 pm

crabbymommie wrote:I would love to have a tank that huge and amazing but I am pretty sure my husband would kill me. :hlol:
at first he did~ but he gave up trying after 5 tanks in matter of three-four months. lol he figured this was a better deal!
CallaLily wrote:I have a dumb question about the fan. Is there a cover to keep the crabbies from getting too close to the blade?
lol thats soo funny my DH asked the same thing :hlol: :hlol: it would be such a shame to have little guys get chopped up to bits by the blade!! I do. i havent put it in there, because its white color(on dark background), and I need to do some camouflaging to do to make sure it doesnt pop out too much while viewing..I am going to find a black paint, and maybe put some plastic plants over it. lol

so here is an update. I ran out of a gallon jug of Titebond to make coco paste, and this is where i have gotten so far. I need to order 5 gallon of those I think.

Topic author
curious_kitty

Post by curious_kitty » Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:46 pm

Dog Lips wrote:Wowzers!

Tank is coming along nicely. Can't wait to see the finished product!

Oh and maybe put some moss on the foam walls after you put the soil on it, make it look more jungly and help that Humidity :)
thanks Doglips(?) :) moss is a great idea! I did order some ferns, and I think I will order some mosses too(green ones?) I also have misting system that will go off anout every other hour for 10sec or so, so that should help wit humidity(and bubbler pools) :lol: :lol:

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:46 pm

curious_kitty wrote: lol thats soo funny my DH asked the same thing :hlol: :hlol: it would be such a shame to have little guys get chopped up to bits by the blade!! I do. i havent put it in there, because its white color(on dark background), and I need to do some camouflaging to do to make sure it doesnt pop out too much while viewing..I am going to find a black paint, and maybe put some plastic plants over it. lol
I knew it was a dumb question but I just had to ask. :lol:

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:52 pm

EEEE! So nice!!!!

Can I make a photo request? What does the cocopeat glue mixture look like up close? Is it drying smooth enough that the crabs will have a hard time picking it apart?
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
curious_kitty

Post by curious_kitty » Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:11 pm

wodesorel wrote:Can I make a photo request? What does the cocopeat glue mixture look like up close? Is it drying smooth enough that the crabs will have a hard time picking it apart?
absolutely~ i just took these for you. Mix, it dries dark(when its wet, it sorta looks like milky color). Around the edges where its dried up, t feels hard(almost like a plastic). I dont think our pinchy friends will be able to dig in, I am afraid. But I am sure they can nibble at the fiber, but it will be hard to pull anything out of them lol
I will take another picture for you to see tomorrow after it dries out

close up:

framptonbmx

Post by framptonbmx » Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:57 pm

This project is totally rad. I am very much looking forward to more pics as the project commences. Awesome work!
Crabbing since 2004,

7 PP's: Rufus, Cornelius, Belle & Sebastian, Socrates Johnson, Bob Genghis Khan, & Bill S. Preston Esquire
4 E's: Snoop Crabby Crab II, Eazy-E II, Ghost Face Killah, & Nicodemus
4 Violas: Musashi Miyamoto, Makoto Nagano, Akira, & Shredder

aquav

Post by aquav » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:21 pm

Wow, I can't even tell you how excited I am for you! This is absolutely fantastic, I can't wait to see more pics!

tlivs

Post by tlivs » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:06 am

curious_kitty wrote:hi tlivs~ I have two caves for them. one that you see in front of the tank, and one in right hand corner(not done yet though). I took these hidey pic just for you :)
are the things that look like terra cotta pots not going to be hideys?
or are they there temporarily just for structure or something? :?:
arthur, charlie, ralph, hunter and oliver
rip. benjamin