My ideal tank!

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

Topic author
eloise13

My ideal tank!

Post by eloise13 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:47 pm

Okay, I am happy with my tank at the moment, but I do have a long term plan for it.

My tank will be divided into three areas. Forest, Dune, Rock pools

The basics of my tank
40.3 gallon (35.5 x 17.5 x 15)
Built in ramp
Clamp lamp at one end, UHT at the other

The Idea
The substrate
Sand
It will slope upwards towards the ramp and the forest side.
I may mix in some other organic material towards the forest side. I was thinking either, safe leaves, a bit of EE or worm castings.
The rock pool end of the sand will be wet. (Wetter then sandcastle consistency, but still dry enough to be safe and fully absorbed by the sand) The dunes will be slightly drier then sand castle consistency, (on top)The forest area will be sand castle consistency.

I plan on achieving this by spraying and using the finger hole method in the rock pool area, only using the finger hole method on the dunes, and only using the spray bottle on forest area.

Water
A few small salt water "rock pools," sitting in the beach side. I plan to make these with rocks and shells and silicone.
A "stream" of fresh water. I plan on using half a PVC pipe with the ends closed up. I'd like to create a flow in it, I suppose by some how modifying a airstone thingy? It will have riverstones/ pebbles in it and I will have pieces of wood over it as bridges.
Small "puddles" in the forest area. Probably out of oyster shells

Food
Small shallow dishes through out.
Different areas will have food that corresponds, Seafood near the rock pools, seaweed and stuff on the dunes, veggies and meat in the forest.

Shells
shells will be throughout the whole tank, but the majority of the will be in the rock pool area. The further away from the rock pool, the less shells

Heating
Clamp lamp will be my main heat source, with the UHT only used when needed. this is to reflect the fact the beach is hotter then the forest, usually.

Decoration
Lots of fake plants, fake logs, branches, vines will be in the forest area. Not much will be on the dune area, large shells, drift wood and maybe rocks will be in the rock pool area.

I have a VERY rough sketch of this

I plan on this being a long term project :D

current tank. roughly, the stream will be around the small pink water bowl.

Alright phew! a lot of words.

Anything I missed?
Will something not work out?
Any suggestions?
Yay or Nay?

My plan of attack!

Step one
I need to get:
Eco earth/ worm castings/other organic material
more sand (i think I may have enough left over from last time, but I need to find it)
my 5 gallon tank out
a small container (in case someone is molting)

One day when the majority of my hermit crabs are active, I am going to clear the future "beach" side of my tank and place my 5 gallon there. I'll fill it with a little of sand, something to hide in and something to eat/drink, just while I do my substrate.
Once that is done, I will remove all of the sand from the forest side. I'll mix that up with more sand some organic material. The forest side will be the highest point, it'll then slop down in the middle. the beach end will remain at the height it currently is.
Once done, I'll put the crabs back in.
Last edited by eloise13 on Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:53 pm, edited 8 times in total.
I own 11 Aussies! my photography
Micro: Baby
Teenies: Friday, Jeffery, Molly, Nero, Louis
Smalls: Edward, Andromeda
Mediums: Beetle, Bug
Large: Big boy.

Hermitcrablover12

Re: My ideal tank!

Post by Hermitcrablover12 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:30 pm

It sounds amazing! A lot of work though. Maybe in the forest area you could make like a little tree using the same teqnique that other crabbers use for custom backgrounds? Just an idea. I'd love to see how it turns out! :D

Topic author
eloise13

Post by eloise13 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:38 pm

I have my UHT side-mounted there, so I don't think I will be able to do that. I want to try and get some mangrove wood. Aussies live near mangroves.

The hardest part is going to be keeping the different area of wetness.

coxbrea151

Post by coxbrea151 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:01 am

post pics when done PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hello, my name is Brea.
I have 2 cats, 2 guinea pigs, 5 Jack Dempsy chichlids, 8 white clouds, 1 plecotumous (bristle-nosed, female), 3 PP hermit crabs,and one syrian hamster.
Hermit crabs; Chee (female), Vango (male), and Kai (male).

Topic author
eloise13

Post by eloise13 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:40 am

My plans have changed a little bit since then, but once I'm 100% happy with it, I'll definitely take before, during and after photos!