Halloween moon vivarium, opinions?

For discussion and photos of all of the non-hermit crab pets we hold dear, including other crab species.

Topic author
platypuskid2

Halloween moon vivarium, opinions?

Post by platypuskid2 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:36 pm

Image My Halloween moon crab, Lunar, recently got his terrarium renovated into a half terrarium half aquarium vivarium. Considering putting fish in the aquarium half and I am seeking opinions

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Halloween moon vivarium, opinions?

Post by aussieJJDude » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:18 am

You do know that the water has to be properly cycled before the introduction of fish. And that fish require a large enough space, and if my calculations are correct, this is around 10g of space. Your rainbow crab will make easy work of the fish, since there are no real hiding spots, either that or they will potentially die of ammonia poisoning. If you still have your heart set on fish, please research deeply beforehand, they more work than what people think.

Insteady, have you though of adding more decor to both the land and water section to keep Luna interested in her environment? Plastic plants, logs, hidey holes, rocks are some ideas that you could include. Even a "level' over the water section by using suction cup dishes and a ramp to access the dish... That way, she has more space to roam.
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

LadyJinglyJones

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:17 pm

If the aquarium half is under 10 gal, there isn't much you could humanely keep in there. The crab might like having some aquarium snails to pick off when he's bored... and if you went to your LFS or even put up an add online asking for 'nuisance snails' you certainly wouldn't have to pay for them. :)

Is that kind of crab at all aquatic? From the setup I'm guessing it's maybe an inter-tidal species and moults on the land?
"Gaze upon the rolling deep..."
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.
RIP Vegita :(

Topic author
platypuskid2

Post by platypuskid2 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:34 pm

LadyJinglyJones wrote:If the aquarium half is under 10 gal, there isn't much you could humanely keep in there. The crab might like having some aquarium snails to pick off when he's bored... and if you went to your LFS or even put up an add online asking for 'nuisance snails' you certainly wouldn't have to pay for them. :)

Is that kind of crab at all aquatic? From the setup I'm guessing it's maybe an inter-tidal species and moults on the land?
Halloween moon crabs are land crabs but he seems to love hanging out in the water and I'll take what you said into consideration as I only put 2.5 gallons of water in the aquarium side

PinchersAndShells

Post by PinchersAndShells » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:23 am

It's been awhile since I last researched these little guys, but if I remember correctly they can drown so I'd make sure that he has a way in and out of the water.
4 PPs + 1 E = Dusty, Momo, Seasalt, & Elvis
Captive Bred PP = Randy
75 Gallon Crabitat | Crabbing Since 8.11.2015
https://www.instagram.com/pinchersandshells/

Topic author
platypuskid2

Post by platypuskid2 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:49 am

PinchersAndShells wrote:It's been awhile since I last researched these little guys, but if I remember correctly they can drown so I'd make sure that he has a way in and out of the water.
I made sure of this and made him a rock staircase and I believe he nightly takes a swim and I wake up every morning to see him on land

Orin

Post by Orin » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:45 pm

I would worry about drowning even with the rock staircase.
I would be surprised if a moon crab could catch any type of fish.

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:41 pm

In saying that, having multiple entry and exit points is a good idea. :) Using sticks, or possibly making a ramp out of eggcrate/canvas mesh would be a good idea.
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:54 pm

Orin knows what he's talking about!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

schoolprofile

Post by schoolprofile » Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:59 am

Yeah, I love it, but Halloween Moon Crabs need much shallower water. I know I myself am late to see this post, but Halloween Moon Crabs are not like hermit crabs where they can go underwater for periods of time. Hermit Crabs are more semi-aquatic, whereas Halloween Moon Crabs are terrestrial. I wouldn't go deeper than a few inches. Heck, I'd only go as far as about half the crab's height. They drown somewhat easily.
this is just a profile i use at school lol