Crawfish (they mated)

For discussion and photos of all of the non-hermit crab pets we hold dear, including other crab species.

Topic author
shanedaman112

Crawfish (they mated)

Post by shanedaman112 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:18 pm

I just started a 10 gal freshwater aquarium and put 2 little crawfish in there from my yard. I found them today doing what I thought was fighting so I used a little stick I have to kind of scare them away from each other. later I found out they were mating and now I'm seriously upset that I scared them off. I know hermit crabs take incredible conditions care to get them to mate. So I'm hoping crawfish aren't as picky and try again :)
2 small PPs: Leonardo, Biscuit
3 medium to large PPs: Kermit Rocketson, Lulu, Strawberry (named because he is red, not actually a straw)
1 Neon Tetra: Stevie. 1 Crawfish: Larry
R.I.P. Larry, Crabby, and Hermie (all PPs) O'mally (Neon Tetra) John Cena(Crawfish)

Topic author
shanedaman112

Re: Crawfish (they mated)

Post by shanedaman112 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:42 pm

Found them mating again, and now they've stopped on their own. I'll admit I'm getting excited. But unfortunately I won't have the room for all the little crawfish and the ones that survive im going to let free. I wouldn't ever normally let a pet free in a local area but I got them right out of my yard so it doesn't get much more local than that.
3 medium to large PPs: Kermit Rocketson, Lulu, Strawberry (named because he is red, not actually a straw)
R.I.P. Larry, Crabby, and Hermie (all PPs) O'mally (Neon Tetra) John Cena(Crawfish)

Drake X. Bit

Post by Drake X. Bit » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:26 pm

Sounds really fun. I would love to raise crawfish, particularly with other crabs in a sort of crustacean community tank. However, I don't live in Ohio anymore, and you can't find any crustaceans in the desert of Arizona :/.

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:29 am

I'd put them back in the yard so they can go home. :)

Topic author
shanedaman112

Post by shanedaman112 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:11 am

soilentgringa wrote:I'd put them back in the yard so they can go home. :)
I just can't resist their cute little faces :innocent: The female unfortunately got sick and died (not pregnant). The male is doing great though.