Anyone have dwarf hamsters?

For discussion and photos of all of the non-hermit crab pets we hold dear, including other crab species.

Topic author
Happyhermiehome

Anyone have dwarf hamsters?

Post by Happyhermiehome » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:35 pm

Hey all, my kiddos just got their very first dwarf hamsters. A Russian dwarf and a robo dwarf (housed separately) it was kinda an impulse buy (yeah I know lol) so we were not fully up to speed on care. I was just wandering if any other crabbers had hammys and new of any good informational resources and good tips so I can make sure they get the care and attention they deserve. Thanks!

Ps. Mods if this is an inappropriate subject or improperly placed sorry. please move or delete. If not thank you for allowing it!
Livin' the Crazy crab life :P

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Anyone have dwarf hamsters?

Post by aussieJJDude » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:15 pm

I believe there are some hamster forums out there. Regardless, its worth the look to see. :)

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:25 pm

Callalily is a member of a couple good forums, I'm sure she'll be along to let you know which!

We had six over the years, sadly they are not long lived little creatures. The big things to keep in mind is that commercial cages are often way too small, and that wheels need to be solid or they can break their feet and legs. Commercial diets are also on the fatty side which can lead to problems, and dwarfs are already at high risk genetically for diabetes.

Since they are tiny they also run the risk of escaping through cage bars - we lost our Mousie Mouse (the hamster) for three days when she managed to squeeze out and fall down to the base of our fireplace (9 foot drop!) because of a crack in the brick. My hubby demoed part of the brick in the basement out of desperation when we could not find her and she was running around fine. We got her out using a tube as a trap to lift her up to the hole. She was dirty but fine and lived another year! How she survived all of our cats as well we never knew.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
Happyhermiehome

Post by Happyhermiehome » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:51 pm

wodesorel wrote:Callalily is a member of a couple good forums, I'm sure she'll be along to let you know which!

We had six over the years, sadly they are not long lived little creatures. The big things to keep in mind is that commercial cages are often way too small, and that wheels need to be solid or they can break their feet and legs. Commercial diets are also on the fatty side which can lead to problems, and dwarfs are already at high risk genetically for diabetes.

Since they are tiny they also run the risk of escaping through cage bars - we lost our Mousie Mouse (the hamster) for three days when she managed to squeeze out and fall down to the base of our fireplace (9 foot drop!) because of a crack in the brick. My hubby demoed part of the brick in the basement out of desperation when we could not find her and she was running around fine. We got her out using a tube as a trap to lift her up to the hole. She was dirty but fine and lived another year! How she survived all of our cats as well we never knew.
Wow that's crazy that she survived and u actually found her!

Yeah I didn't like the idea of the wire cage. I actually bought a cheap second hand one just for the tubes but decided not to use the actual cage. have them each in separate 10g tanks for now (spare crab isos I knew would come in handy some day lol) with wire mesh tops. I modified them by cutting holes in the wire mesh and running critter trail tube structures through them that extend up and around to maximize space. And I covered the edges of the hole so there are no sharp wires exposed and the tubes are snug and secure so the can't be squeezed between. We got the saucer type wheels cuz I do remember reading something about wire wheels being bad for all critters when looking for a crab wheel. We also got wood chews and card board play tubes and made them lil houses out of boxes. we did end up with a bag of oxbow brand dried food. But I've been giving them some unsalted seed and nuts that I feed the crabbies. I've been A bit hesitant with fresh foods thus far because I did read that lots of fruits are too sweet and lots of veggies are watery and cause diarrhea. But would prefer to feed them a fresh natural diet. Do they need meat/protine? Thanks for the info :)

JJ I did search for hamster forums and informational sites but there are a TON! I just figured if someone here had hammys too they would be able to direct me to the best place with the most upto date and accurate info. :)

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:10 pm

Ahh got ya. Best bet is to wait patiently for a member to give their advise.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:30 pm

She was our miracle hamster for sure.

I'm trying to remember what we fed but it was about a decade ago so recommendations probably have changed. I think it was a seed mix with the sunflowers picked out and reserved for treats only, Mazuri blocks, and Oxbow hay mixes.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

CrazyCrab12

Post by CrazyCrab12 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:58 am

http://hamsterhideout.com/forum/ is like the equivlant of HCA but for hamsters! lots of good info there. The main trick for dwarf hamsters is their diet. they are prone to diabetes so avoid sugar when possible.
Buy a custom portrait of your crab!
https://www.etsy.com/shop/ChatfieldPetPortrait

Topic author
Happyhermiehome

Post by Happyhermiehome » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:23 pm

CrazyCrab12 wrote:http://hamsterhideout.com/forum/ is like the equivlant of HCA but for hamsters! lots of good info there. The main trick for dwarf hamsters is their diet. they are prone to diabetes so avoid sugar when possible.

Awesome! Thank you! :D

Yeah I will def avoid sugary stuffs!