New frog enclosure! Edit: and gecko!

For discussion and photos of all of the non-hermit crab pets we hold dear, including other crab species.

Topic author
wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

New frog enclosure! Edit: and gecko!

Post by wodesorel » Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:40 pm

After four years, Ine deserved an upgrade. I have only been working on it since April. Image

It's an 18x18x24 Exoterra I got used (although unused) on FB classifieds. Strangely enough it was from a friend of a friend. Had to fix the screen top and I did the background and everything inside myself. I love the way it turned out!

Working on two more enclosures for the golden and crested gecko now. ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Re: New frog enclosure!

Post by aussieJJDude » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:06 pm

That lools amazing! Whats happening now to the fabulous hex tank?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:16 pm

The 15 hex is pretty well worn. Mostly I hate it because it is so hard to change the water!! Ine would always bite at me thinking I was food as I reached past her. :hlol: It's also hars to keep the glass clean because it's so tight.

I might set it up in the future as a true terrarium with orchids and tillandsia. They need distilled water so no worry about constant spotting. For now it's getting cleaned well and going into storage until we are established after moving, OR something falls into our lap that could use it.

Topic author
wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:16 pm

Forgot the photo!Image

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:16 pm

I remember you having that whole build thread for the hex. Sad to see it go in a way. (But knowing you, it be filled with a rescue in the next couple of months...) im sure Ine is appreciating the new digs (and the more space).

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

Topic author
wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:09 pm

I sorta documented this one, but it was all the same technique. Background is a mix of cocofiber, husk, forrest moss and sphagnum moss held together with Titebond III. I forgot to put the little jiffy pots on it so I had to go back and zip tie them in place and cover them.

The branches are lilac, from the 100 year old tree in the backyard we had to trim this year because it was splitting. It was a pain getting them to set. The silicon I used was too soft and the fumes made the tape not stick. It was a disaster and took hours.

I hated the way the silicon looked when it was dry so I went back (three times) and coated it with the same background. It took three hours of scraping to get the glass clean!

The sub is the same as the background, all live plants, too! Waiting for the red caladium bulbs to come up in the back corner. I have had that fern for a year now for this project nearly killed it a few times.

She spends her nights swimming, so the bowl is nice and big but easy to change daily. ImageImageImageImageImageImage

wolfnipplechips

Post by wolfnipplechips » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:18 am

Really neat! :D Such a sweet froggy.
Crabby since May 2009
Hermit Crab Food Store: http://alaskahermit.com/
Pets: crabs, cats, lizards, flesh eating beetles, isopods, betta fish

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:03 pm

Very nice!!
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

LadyJinglyJones

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:41 am

That looks really great!

Now I'm jealous I don't have a frog!
"Gaze upon the rolling deep..."
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.
RIP Vegita :(

Topic author
wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:19 pm

LadyJinglyJones wrote:That looks really great!

Now I'm jealous I don't have a frog!
We don't really have her, she sort of chose us. Four winters ago I was cleaning my Roach Room, the precursor to the critter room when I had 11 species of exotic cockroaches, and Stanley. And I look over and there is this clump of mossy lichen on the rim of the Domino tank. And I was all, "how did I get lichen in here?" Went to reach for it AND IT MOVED. We think she was buried in the Dragon Begonia we brought inside for winter. She had been living in my toasty 80 degree room eating my pets for a month. Image By that point it was snowing outside and there were questions if she could be safely cooled to allow for natural brumation. She wasn't panicked and took to eating immediately so I put her in the hex tank that was supposed to go to the cave roaches and she has been my buddy ever since. Talk about a Pavlovian response, she sees my blue work gloves and she starts biting at thin air because she knows food is on the way!Image

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:48 pm

We don't really have her, she sort of chose us. Four winters ago I was cleaning my Roach Room, the precursor to the critter room when I had 11 species of exotic cockroaches, and Stanley. And I look over and there is this clump of mossy lichen on the rim of the Domino tank. And I was all, "how did I get lichen in here?" Went to reach for it AND IT MOVED. We think she was buried in the Dragon Begonia we brought inside for winter. She had been living in my toasty 80 degree room eating my pets for a month. Image By that point it was snowing outside and there were questions if she could be safely cooled to allow for natural brumation. She wasn't panicked and took to eating immediately so I put her in the hex tank that was supposed to go to the cave roaches and she has been my buddy ever since. Talk about a Pavlovian response, she sees my blue work gloves and she starts biting at thin air because she knows food is on the way!Image

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk[/quote]

Speaking of lichen..can hermit crabs eat lichen?
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:27 am

Not liking this tank. I must not have latched it right last night. My husband just found her in the middle of the bathroom floor!! She got past two well fitting doors and a hallway of cats. She is covered in cat hair but seems okay. I think only time will tell. I am totally freaking out right now.

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:45 pm

Oh no! Glad to hear she is safe though, like a ninja getting past all those cats.

piratetoothgir

Post by piratetoothgir » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:41 pm

What kind of frog is she?
Very interesting, I wish I had a frog, mainly a Pac-Man. I used to catch wild American toads where I live, but now they’ve all vanished.

I had several captive, but I let them loose after a couple days, and chose a new frog to keep for a while. The largest American toad I saw was about six inches long.
Crabber Since 2016
7 Caribbeans & 2 Ecuadorians
I am the proud owner of my hermit crabs, aquarium fish, and isopod totes!

Topic author
wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:49 am

She is probably a Grey Tree Frog. We aren't known for having Cope's in this area and the two species are basically identical in females.

I also have two American toads rescued from a basement and garage in winter, and a Fowler's I had dug up and kind of crushed as a baby while moving perennials in late winter who turned out okay. That trio of idiots is in a 40 breeder.

ImageImageImage