Discoplax magna?

For discussion and photos of all of the non-hermit crab pets we hold dear, including other crab species.

Topic author
HomeInTheShell

Discoplax magna?

Post by HomeInTheShell » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:14 am

The species Discoplax magna is occassionally available here. I have found out that they live in the Christmas Islands in relatively dry areas and grow to about 10 cm(?) in diameter. Does anyone here know more?

hopefullcrabber

Re: Discoplax magna?

Post by hopefullcrabber » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:47 am

Looks like information is scant, since it is a recently elevated from Discoplax hirtipes. I suspect you are going to be the one that is going to have to find out how to keep them. It looks like a deep substrate is a must. That is allow for burrowing and also a moist/wet bottom layer and drier top layer. I would also recommend adding some coral sand or possible calic-sand (but make sure that it is mixed with quartz sand). The area these crabs come from is made of karst aka limestone. I would definitely offer freshwater and possibly a saltwater pool. I know they live far from the ocean naturally, but I would see if they utilize it in captivity. I suspect they will need very good ventilation but humidity is anyone's guess. My gut tells me they are probably pretty flexible and utilize their burrows to help maintain humidity. As far as food, I would try to offer a variety of things and see if there are any preferences. Good luck.

Topic author
HomeInTheShell

Re: Discoplax magna?

Post by HomeInTheShell » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:07 pm

Thanks for the info. You're right, there doesn't seem to be many keepers yet. I'm in no hurry to buy one.