Anyone got any other pets apart from hermies?

For discussion and photos of all of the non-hermit crab pets we hold dear, including other crab species.

Topic author
Angel_crab

Anyone got any other pets apart from hermies?

Post by Angel_crab » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:23 am

Hello :) At the moment I have 2 cats, a baby Blue Tongue Lizard (I'm picking him/her up from the reptile store on Saturday) and of course my 11 hermies! I think it's safe to say that I'm a bit pet crazy, but I only keep animals that I know I can look after long term. I was wondering if anyone else has any other pets apart from hermit crabs? If so, what type?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

soilentgringa

Re: Anyone got any other pets apart from hermies?

Post by soilentgringa » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:20 pm

I have 3 rescue cats, and also foster a crested gecko off and on for a friend.

My son has 2 golfish.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:08 pm

My signature doesn't show up on Tapatalk, but we have 28 cats (rescues and all fixed), 10 leopard geckos, 1 fat-tailed gecko, 1 crested gecko, 1 golden gecko, 1 Florida kingsnake, 1 Arizona mountain kingsnake, 1 cornsnake, 2 ball pythons, 1 eastern milksnake, 1 sand boa, 2 American toads, 1 Fowler's toad, 1 gray tree frog, 2 midland painted turtles, 11 ember tetra, about 2 dozen black kuhlis, 2 clown pleco, around 50 Emperor Scorpions and a colony of Bumblebee millipedes.

Rescue is seriously a lifestyle choice.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
Angel_crab

Post by Angel_crab » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:34 am

wodesorel wrote:My signature doesn't show up on Tapatalk, but we have 28 cats (rescues and all fixed), 10 leopard geckos, 1 fat-tailed gecko, 1 crested gecko, 1 golden gecko, 1 Florida kingsnake, 1 Arizona mountain kingsnake, 1 cornsnake, 2 ball pythons, 1 eastern milksnake, 1 sand boa, 2 American toads, 1 Fowler's toad, 1 gray tree frog, 2 midland painted turtles, 11 ember tetra, about 2 dozen black kuhlis, 2 clown pleco, around 50 Emperor Scorpions and a colony of Bumblebee millipedes.

Rescue is seriously a lifestyle choice.
WOW!! That's a lot of animals! It puts a big smile on my face to know that you have given all of these animals a wonderful home. I have always wanted to rescue more animals, but I want to wait until I have more time, to give them all the right amount of care and attention that they deserve. I also rescued both my cats, one from a shelter and my other one who was neglected and starved by her previous owners. I also absolutely love reptiles and amphibians - it's amazing to see how many you have! :)
Last edited by Angel_crab on Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
Angel_crab

Post by Angel_crab » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:42 am

soilentgringa wrote:I have 3 rescue cats, and also foster a crested gecko off and on for a friend.

My son has 2 golfish.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk
Awesome :) I've always wanted to own a crested gecko, but unfortunately where I live, crested geckos are rarely sold in any reptile or pet stores. I used to have goldfish too! They were great fun to take care of and to watch swimming around in their tank! What breeds are you rescue cats?

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:02 am

I only have a dog currently. Besides my 6 hermies of course. My husband is NOT an animal person and has had to put up with cats in the past, which he is allergic to, guinea pigs, which he is highly allergic to timothy hay. My daughter had a betta fish for 3yrs and he pretty much complained about that. I would love to get another cat when our dog dies (hopefully not for a long time) but I don't think I'd be able to talk him into it.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Moonlightdreams

Post by Moonlightdreams » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:36 am

Two dogs, and of course the two crabbies. :D I've had fish in the past, a cat when I was little, and two other dogs. :)
Loving owner of two hermit crabs and two dogs! Call me Moon, Icy, Kermit, or anything you'd like! sheldon_and_peanut (hermit crabs) and sisterchins (dogs) on Instagram.

leopardgeckos

Post by leopardgeckos » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:51 pm

Don't have that much.
But I'll list what I have..

1 French Bulldog,
3 Kuhli Loach
1 Clown Pleco
2 Betta Fish

Soon this month, I'm adopting a leopard gecko!
:banana:
Experienced pet keeper, most experienced in fish keeping.
I'm splurging myself to different animals, reptiles, and others.

LEOPARD GECKOS!

Topic author
Angel_crab

Post by Angel_crab » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:11 pm

Moonlightdreams wrote:Two dogs, and of course the two crabbies. :D I've had fish in the past, a cat when I was little, and two other dogs. :)
Naww cute! What breed are your two dogs? :)

Topic author
Angel_crab

Post by Angel_crab » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:13 pm

leopardgeckos wrote:Don't have that much.
But I'll list what I have..

1 French Bulldog,
3 Kuhli Loach
1 Clown Pleco
2 Betta Fish

Soon this month, I'm adopting a leopard gecko!
:banana:
Cool animals! I'm also adopting a reptile this month too!

Moonlightdreams

Post by Moonlightdreams » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:19 pm

Angel_crab wrote:
Moonlightdreams wrote:Two dogs, and of course the two crabbies. :D I've had fish in the past, a cat when I was little, and two other dogs. :)
They're Japanese Chins. :D
Loving owner of two hermit crabs and two dogs! Call me Moon, Icy, Kermit, or anything you'd like! sheldon_and_peanut (hermit crabs) and sisterchins (dogs) on Instagram.

Topic author
Angel_crab

Post by Angel_crab » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:26 pm

Hermiesguardian wrote:I only have a dog currently. Besides my 6 hermies of course. My husband is NOT an animal person and has had to put up with cats in the past, which he is allergic to, guinea pigs, which he is highly allergic to timothy hay. My daughter had a betta fish for 3yrs and he pretty much complained about that. I would love to get another cat when our dog dies (hopefully not for a long time) but I don't think I'd be able to talk him into it.
Oh yes, your dog is the beautiful Husky cross Hound who was checking what was going on in the crab tank :) I also want to adopt another cat soon from the shelter, and I hope that you'll be able to talk your husband into getting another cat because they are really amazing animals :)
Last edited by Angel_crab on Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
Angel_crab

Post by Angel_crab » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:28 pm

Moonlightdreams wrote:
Angel_crab wrote:
They're Japanese Chins. :D
Nawww I have never heard of this breed previously, and searched up some photos of them on google now, and they are so adorable!!

Moonlightdreams

Post by Moonlightdreams » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:47 pm

Angel_crab wrote:Nawww I have never heard of this breed previously, and searched up some photos of them on google now, and they are so adorable!!
They are! They're so sweet, they're almost cat-like. The younger of the two likes to lay on the back of the loveseat and watch the world go by, and the older likes to chase laser lights. Both of them like watching the crabbies. :wink:

Topic author
Angel_crab

Post by Angel_crab » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:01 pm

Moonlightdreams wrote:
Angel_crab wrote:Nawww I have never heard of this breed previously, and searched up some photos of them on google now, and they are so adorable!!
They are! They're so sweet, they're almost cat-like. The younger of the two likes to lay on the back of the loveseat and watch the world go by, and the older likes to chase laser lights. Both of them like watching the crabbies. :wink:
Naww both your dogs sound so cute! My cats love chasing laser lights too :) they are very cat like, as my cats also love to watch the word go by on their cat perches, and they also love to watch the crabs too :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk