Page 2 of 4

Anyone got any other pets apart from hermies?

Posted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:51 am
by PinchersAndShells
I have three dogs, one cat, two betta fish, six chickens, seven hermit crabs, and honeybees. I’m working on getting my isopods set up currently. :)


Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Re: Anyone got any other pets apart from hermies?

Posted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:58 am
by Moonlightdreams
PinchersAndShells wrote:I have three dogs, one cat, two betta fish, six chickens, seven hermit crabs, and honeybees. I’m working on getting my isopods set up currently. :)


Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Honeybees? Wow. :D Do the hermies benefit from them? :wink: I must admit, I've always been afraid of flying bugs with stingers. Unfortunately for me, we have two giant azalea bushes just outside of our front door. :lol:

Re: Anyone got any other pets apart from hermies?

Posted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:56 pm
by PinchersAndShells
Moonlightdreams wrote: Honeybees? Wow. :D Do the hermies benefit from them? :wink: I must admit, I've always been afraid of flying bugs with stingers. Unfortunately for me, we have two giant azalea bushes just outside of our front door. :lol:
We haven’t had them for that long so not yet! But when the opportunity arises I’d love to give my crabs some honey


Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Re: Anyone got any other pets apart from hermies?

Posted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:14 pm
by Angel_crab
PinchersAndShells wrote:I have three dogs, one cat, two betta fish, six chickens, seven hermit crabs, and honeybees. I’m working on getting my isopods set up currently. :)


Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
So many awesome animals! What breeds are your dogs and cat? Honeybees sound like such cool pets! I've always considered the idea of having chickens, but I don't think that my outdoor cat would be very happy with that idea :)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Anyone got any other pets apart from hermies?

Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:52 am
by PinchersAndShells
Angel_crab wrote: So many awesome animals! What breeds are your dogs and cat? Honeybees sound like such cool pets! I've always considered the idea of having chickens, but I don't think that my outdoor cat would be very happy with that idea :)
Dogs: a labradoodle, a lab and pit mix, and an Irish wolfhound. My cat is a Russian blue. Sadly the chickens had to be rehomed earlier this week.


Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Re: Anyone got any other pets apart from hermies?

Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:19 pm
by CrabsterBecks
GS puppy and a rescue rabbit! :banana:

Re: Anyone got any other pets apart from hermies?

Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:08 pm
by Hermiesguardian
Angel_crab wrote:
Hermiesguardian wrote:I only have a dog currently. Besides my 6 hermies of course. My husband is NOT an animal person and has had to put up with cats in the past, which he is allergic to, guinea pigs, which he is highly allergic to timothy hay. My daughter had a betta fish for 3yrs and he pretty much complained about that. I would love to get another cat when our dog dies (hopefully not for a long time) but I don't think I'd be able to talk him into it.
Oh yes, your dog is the beautiful Husky cross Hound who was checking what was going on in the crab tank :) I also want to adopt another cat soon from the shelter, and I hope that you'll be able to talk your husband into getting another cat because they are really amazing animals :)
It would have to be after the dog is gone. He would probably want to de stuff it. And it would be a hard sell to convince my husband.

Re: Anyone got any other pets apart from hermies?

Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:37 pm
by Angel_crab
PinchersAndShells wrote:
Angel_crab wrote: So many awesome animals! What breeds are your dogs and cat? Honeybees sound like such cool pets! I've always considered the idea of having chickens, but I don't think that my outdoor cat would be very happy with that idea :)
Dogs: a labradoodle, a lab and pit mix, and an Irish wolfhound. My cat is a Russian blue. Sadly the chickens had to be rehomed earlier this week.


Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Awww all your dogs sound so cute! The first cat that I ever owned (unfortunately passed away a couple of years ago due to old age) was a British shorthair and Russian blue mix! I am sorry to hear about the chickens :(


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Anyone got any other pets apart from hermies?

Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:39 pm
by Angel_crab
CrabsterBecks wrote:GS puppy and a rescue rabbit! :banana:
I used to have a GS! They are great dogs and they’re so loyal :) I’ve always wanted a rabbit but I’m not sure what the cats would think about it.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Anyone got any other pets apart from hermies?

Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:58 pm
by aussieJJDude
Besides the crabbies, i have 2 aquariums (my 'nano' 25g and a corner pentagon 64g) and a pond.
In my 25g I have shrimp, ember tetras and dwarf cories... and snails
In the 64g I have an adult male angel, rummies, pencilfish, 3 different species of kuhlies (total of 18.. give or take), bronze cories, BN pleco, snails and a small shrimp population that managed to somehow get im there....

In my pond, i have 3 adult fancy goldfish (1 telescope eye, 2 fantail) and around 10 babies that Im trying to 'cull'.... but they all so cute!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Re: Anyone got any other pets apart from hermies?

Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:11 pm
by Angel_crab
aussieJJDude wrote:Besides the crabbies, i have 2 aquariums (my 'nano' 25g and a corner pentagon 64g) and a pond.
In my 25g I have shrimp, ember tetras and dwarf cories... and snails
In the 64g I have an adult male angel, rummies, pencilfish, 3 different species of kuhlies (total of 18.. give or take), bronze cories, BN pleco, snails and a small shrimp population that managed to somehow get im there....

In my pond, i have 3 adult fancy goldfish (1 telescope eye, 2 fantail) and around 10 babies that Im trying to 'cull'.... but they all so cute!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Wow so many cool fish, shrimp and snails!! I’ve always been interested in aquarium keeping, but I’m still researching about different types of fish that I am interested in keeping :) I love apple snails, but I’m not sure if you can buy them in Australia?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Anyone got any other pets apart from hermies?

Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:13 pm
by aussieJJDude
Angel_crab wrote:
aussieJJDude wrote:Besides the crabbies, i have 2 aquariums (my 'nano' 25g and a corner pentagon 64g) and a pond.
In my 25g I have shrimp, ember tetras and dwarf cories... and snails
In the 64g I have an adult male angel, rummies, pencilfish, 3 different species of kuhlies (total of 18.. give or take), bronze cories, BN pleco, snails and a small shrimp population that managed to somehow get im there....

In my pond, i have 3 adult fancy goldfish (1 telescope eye, 2 fantail) and around 10 babies that Im trying to 'cull'.... but they all so cute!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Wow so many cool fish, shrimp and snails!! I’ve always been interested in aquarium keeping, but I’m still researching about different types of fish that I am interested in keeping :) I love apple snails, but I’m not sure if you can buy them in Australia?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You can get mystery snails (I think that in the NT its restricted however....) which is from the same genus as apples... but a lot smaller.


Even then, many also call mystery snails apple snails, the common names are used interchangeably.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Re: Anyone got any other pets apart from hermies?

Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:21 pm
by Angel_crab
aussieJJDude wrote:
Angel_crab wrote:
aussieJJDude wrote:Besides the crabbies, i have 2 aquariums (my 'nano' 25g and a corner pentagon 64g) and a pond.
In my 25g I have shrimp, ember tetras and dwarf cories... and snails
In the 64g I have an adult male angel, rummies, pencilfish, 3 different species of kuhlies (total of 18.. give or take), bronze cories, BN pleco, snails and a small shrimp population that managed to somehow get im there....

In my pond, i have 3 adult fancy goldfish (1 telescope eye, 2 fantail) and around 10 babies that Im trying to 'cull'.... but they all so cute!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Wow so many cool fish, shrimp and snails!! I’ve always been interested in aquarium keeping, but I’m still researching about different types of fish that I am interested in keeping :) I love apple snails, but I’m not sure if you can buy them in Australia?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You can get mystery snails (I think that in the NT its restricted however....) which is from the same genus as apples... but a lot smaller.


Even then, many also call mystery snails apple snails, the common names are used interchangeably.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Thanks for your help! I’ll look up mystery snails, and I’m hoping that in the near future I will be able to own some.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Anyone got any other pets apart from hermies?

Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:12 pm
by CrabsterBecks
German shepherd pup and a rabbit! We had a bunny buddy for him but she passed away a few months ago. He is 4 1/2 and still going strong!

Re: Anyone got any other pets apart from hermies?

Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:46 pm
by CrabsterBecks
Angel_crab wrote:
CrabsterBecks wrote:GS puppy and a rescue rabbit! :banana:
I used to have a GS! They are great dogs and they’re so loyal :) I’ve always wanted a rabbit but I’m not sure what the cats would think about it.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They are!! He's an amazing lil' boy, even though he can be stubborn at times. He's growing out of it, and with careful training, is becoming the dog we always wanted!