Anyone got any other pets apart from hermies?

For discussion and photos of all of the non-hermit crab pets we hold dear, including other crab species.

ROSIEonFIRE

Re: Anyone got any other pets apart from hermies?

Post by ROSIEonFIRE » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:18 pm

Angel_crab wrote:
aussieJJDude wrote:Besides the crabbies, i have 2 aquariums (my 'nano' 25g and a corner pentagon 64g) and a pond.
In my 25g I have shrimp, ember tetras and dwarf cories... and snails
In the 64g I have an adult male angel, rummies, pencilfish, 3 different species of kuhlies (total of 18.. give or take), bronze cories, BN pleco, snails and a small shrimp population that managed to somehow get im there....

In my pond, i have 3 adult fancy goldfish (1 telescope eye, 2 fantail) and around 10 babies that Im trying to 'cull'.... but they all so cute!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Wow so many cool fish, shrimp and snails!! I’ve always been interested in aquarium keeping, but I’m still researching about different types of fish that I am interested in keeping :) I love apple snails, but I’m not sure if you can buy them in Australia?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
i really love fish and had a couple small beta aquariums for a while (I think they were 5 gallons each). at this point i dont really feel up to even that small of a tank, although ive heard that small tanks like mine are actually more challenging than larger tanks because its so easier for the water parameters to get out of whack in such a small system. im always fantasizing about doing a shrimp tank (or maybe SOMEDAY a goldfish tank as i mentioned in another thread) but i am not really interested in dealing with all the water right now.

i understand that there are certain species of shrimp that can be pretty easy to care for. they come in lots of crazy colors and patterns and shrimp colonies are so fun to watch! i vote shrimp! :cheer:

piratetoothgir

Post by piratetoothgir » Mon May 07, 2018 5:00 pm

I just found this thread, super late :oops:
Well, I have 7 hermit crabs, 11 Cherry Barbs, 6 Albino Cory, 12 Ghost Shrimp, 1 Honey Gourami, 1 Bristlenose Pleco, 4 Bettas, and 100+ isopods :)
Crabber Since 2016
7 Caribbeans & 2 Ecuadorians
I am the proud owner of my hermit crabs, aquarium fish, and isopod totes!

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Tue May 08, 2018 7:55 am

And a quick update. A few weeks back recently purchased a pair of halfbeaks (Dermogenys pusilla)... which is honestly my fav fish currently! So interesting to watch, some Siamese Algae Eaters and a pair of twig catfish!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

SheogorathsQueen

Post by SheogorathsQueen » Tue May 15, 2018 10:43 am

I have a bunny named Blackberry who just turned 14 last month!!! He is my little old man and I adore him.

I also have 3 dogs, 2 kitties, and a box turtle :)
My Crew of 5 PP's : Sheogorath, Peaches, Chorrol, Cheydinhal, Alkanet, & Moon Sugar

Topic author
Angel_crab

Post by Angel_crab » Tue May 15, 2018 3:33 pm

SheogorathsQueen wrote:I have a bunny named Blackberry who just turned 14 last month!!! He is my little old man and I adore him.

So cute!! Very old bunny you got! I love box turtles, they’re so adorable. What breeds are your dogs and cats? Image

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Tue May 15, 2018 5:46 pm

We have the crabs, 2 goldfish that survived a festival and keep on swimmin', and 3 cats. The parent cats were rescues and we kept one of the pregnant mama's kittens.

Two shorthair domestic orange tabbies and a longhair tortoiseshell floof. (The kittens had 2 different fathers).

We have fostered an iguana and crested gecko in the past as well and the crestie will probably move back in with us this year.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

SheogorathsQueen

Post by SheogorathsQueen » Thu May 17, 2018 12:46 am

Angel_crab wrote:
SheogorathsQueen wrote:I have a bunny named Blackberry who just turned 14 last month!!! He is my little old man and I adore him.

So cute!! Very old bunny you got! I love box turtles, they’re so adorable. What breeds are your dogs and cats? Image

Yes! He's an old boy :)

3 Chihuahuas and 2 Persians!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
My Crew of 5 PP's : Sheogorath, Peaches, Chorrol, Cheydinhal, Alkanet, & Moon Sugar

Topic author
Angel_crab

Post by Angel_crab » Thu May 17, 2018 6:08 am

soilentgringa wrote:We have the crabs, 2 goldfish that survived a festival and keep on swimmin', and 3 cats. The parent cats were rescues and we kept one of the pregnant mama's kittens.

Two shorthair domestic orange tabbies and a longhair tortoiseshell floof. (The kittens had 2 different fathers).

We have fostered an iguana and crested gecko in the past as well and the crestie will probably move back in with us this year.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk
All your animals sound so cute!! I have a domestic medium hair tortoiseshell cat Image Really cool that you foster reptiles too! I have a couple of reptiles myself. The goldfish sound awesome - how long have you had them for?

Topic author
Angel_crab

Post by Angel_crab » Thu May 17, 2018 6:11 am

SheogorathsQueen wrote:
Angel_crab wrote:

Yes! He's an old boy :)

3 Chihuahuas and 2 Persians!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
So cute! Persians are amazing cats - I love their fur and colouring :) Chihuahuas are adorable too!

superferrets2

Post by superferrets2 » Thu May 24, 2018 8:03 pm

yes, I have a Lhasa Opso named Bella (4 yrs old and I adopted her) 2 cats that were ferral Boy named Tiggy Girl named Goldie and a Bunny named Wicket (also adopted) 2 fish tanks 1 57 gallon with African Cichlids and a 5 gallon that has live plants and different colored shrimp and some tetras......

ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Sun May 27, 2018 12:54 am

Angel_crab wrote:Hello :) At the moment I have 2 cats, a baby Blue Tongue Lizard (I'm picking him/her up from the reptile store on Saturday) and of course my 11 hermies! I think it's safe to say that I'm a bit pet crazy, but I only keep animals that I know I can look after long term. I was wondering if anyone else has any other pets apart from hermit crabs? If so, what type?

We have 2 dogs, a mutt [Maddie] and a boxer/bull mastiff breed [Brianna]. We also had a beta fish named Maui but he recently passed. :cry: We have 2 PPs, Sebastian and Rajah. and a ball python named Khaleesi. My boyfriend is working on a tank for cherry red shrimp as well.
4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.
Follow my hermit crab learning journey on instagram! @hermitcrabs_in_the_boot

Topic author
Angel_crab

Post by Angel_crab » Sun May 27, 2018 4:53 pm

ciaraalston wrote:
Angel_crab wrote:Hello :) At the moment I have 2 cats, a baby Blue Tongue Lizard (I'm picking him/her up from the reptile store on Saturday) and of course my 11 hermies! I think it's safe to say that I'm a bit pet crazy, but I only keep animals that I know I can look after long term. I was wondering if anyone else has any other pets apart from hermit crabs? If so, what type?

We have 2 dogs, a mutt [Maddie] and a boxer/bull mastiff breed [Brianna]. We also had a beta fish named Maui but he recently passed. :cry: We have 2 PPs, Sebastian and Rajah. and a ball python named Khaleesi. My boyfriend is working on a tank for cherry red shrimp as well.
Awww your dogs sound so cute! Sorry to hear about your beta fish :( I’ve always wanted to get a snake - I might be looking into getting a carpet python soon. The shrimp and crabs sound awesome :)

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon May 28, 2018 10:58 pm

It says it in my signature, but I have the crabbies, a Florida Box Turtle, a Fantasy Pac Man Frog, a Beta, a 21 year old Blood Parrot Cichlid Fish, a 19 year old kitty, 3 dogs, a 55 gallon tote filled with isopods, a cricket tank, and then I raise butterflies as a hobby. I rear Monarchs, Swallowtails, Gulf Fritillaries, and Zebra Longwings when possible. All of the larvae come from my butterfly garden. I bring them inside to protect them from predators, and then I release them when they become butterflies. :butterfly::
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Mon May 28, 2018 11:00 pm

Wow! That's incredible!!!! Sounds like a house full of happiness!! :D
4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.
Follow my hermit crab learning journey on instagram! @hermitcrabs_in_the_boot

Topic author
Angel_crab

Post by Angel_crab » Mon May 28, 2018 11:01 pm

I agree!! That sounds amazing @GotButterflies! So many amazing animals raising butterflies is such a cool hobby!