He molted! :D

For discussion and photos of all of the non-hermit crab pets we hold dear, including other crab species.

Topic author
RubberToe

He molted! :D

Post by RubberToe » Mon May 14, 2018 3:05 pm

So I was asking questions about my halloween crab 2 weeks ago and last night as I was sleeping he decided to shed his first molt. I've heard that a high calcium diet should be supplied during molts in order to regrow their shell. I put some eggshells in there if he ever feels the need to stock up on calcium. I also heard they eat their old shell so I'm leaving that in there. Is there any other precaution I should take for him? I figured I should handle him now as small as humanly possible because his new skin might be very sensitive, like a sunburn. Is molting also a sign of good health by chance?

It has been a big day for little Avicii (thats what I named him) :crabbigsmile:

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Re: He molted! :D

Post by GotButterflies » Mon May 14, 2018 4:26 pm

Molting means that they are growing...so you are obviously doing something right! :) I'm sorry, I don't know anything about Halloween Crabs! Definitely give calcium.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
RubberToe

Post by RubberToe » Mon May 14, 2018 5:33 pm

Another thing I noticed, unfortunately during his molt he must have torn once of his small legs off, I've heard they can grow them back so hopefully that won't be a problem. He also doesn't seem to like being held right now because he squirmed very hard when I tried to pick him up to go to the eggshells so i'll give him some time, still a noob on his kind of care. I lifted him up also to take his fully molted exoskeleton out and place it to where he can eat it if he wants. Anybody else have tips on what to do when they molt?

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Mon May 14, 2018 7:20 pm

Best thing is to leave him be. Touching him not only causes stress - already a stressful time as is - but also can cause deformities especially if you pick him up while he is still hardening or moves in a way that causes his body to be placed in a position that can lead to deformities.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Orin

Post by Orin » Tue May 15, 2018 6:06 pm

It can take a month for the adult exoskeleton to harden. If you give it a hide like a coconut shell it will probably stay there the whole time - for good reason.