And now it's a bottle baby kitten... [12/21 And again...]

For discussion and photos of all of the non-hermit crab pets we hold dear, including other crab species.

Tnguo

Re: And now it's a bottle baby kitten...

Post by Tnguo » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:33 pm

My grandma's senior cat got a random ear hematoma that spread down his neck. Her vet couldn't figure out what was wrong so I took him to my vet, who immediately palpated his abdomen, found him painful, and took rads, which revealed an abdominal hemangiosarcoma. He explained to us that random hematomas not caused by external trauma/injury are usually symptomatic of a bigger problem, and he suspected some sort of cancer, which the x-rays confirmed. We had to put him down : (

I hope your Winston is ok. Please let us know how he's doing.

Also, I had to bottle-feed my youngest, too! At the time I did not realize how young she was. The vet estimated 3 weeks so I used that timetable to wean her, it was only later I realized she was probably only 2-3 days old when I got her because her ears were still curled! And I didn't know to massage her belly to get her to defecate at that age so that was a smelly, stinky, angry baby-screaming surprise one morning! I feel bad that I weaned her much earlier than I should have, but you work with what you've got! She's turned into a sassy, feisty girl and holds her own against our three boys.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:10 pm

How is Winston?
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:07 pm

I am so sorry to hear about your grandma's cat. :( We actually had a cat with an external hemangiosarcoma six years ago. I thought it was a tick on his ear when I first saw it, and then thought it was a melanoma when I realized it was skin. Our vet was able to fully carve it out and we found out what it was when it was sent off to pathology. Two long years of holding our breath because we couldn't be sure it hadn't spread internally, but he is still with us! Had a scare last year when he got more black lumps on his face, but they turned out to be sweat gland cysts. That cat seriously has amazing luck.

Vets know so little about neonates, it's really scary. Our current vet said they barely touch on it during schooling, and there are so few owners willing to spend money on little ones at a private vet that they rarely ever treat them. I'm not surprised they got the age wrong. The one we saw when Bug was two weeks old was sure she was a boy!

Winston is doing okay. Hs ear had doubled in size since Friday, so we took him on Wednesday to our vet who drained off 11ccs of blood and fluid. She also noted abnormal lungs sounds on one side and thinks he may have pneumonia. (He has always been a sickly cat.) His ear shriveled and collapsed, but he seems more comfortable now, and we can actually get in it to treat the ear infection! Unfortunately it looks like it is filling back up this morning so we need to bring him in again for some bloodwork. We were both concerned that after nearly a week there was no sign of any clotting in the blood that was removed but she wanted to wait and see what happened after the draining before checking. His older sister and uncle/older brother both died mysterious deaths when young so it could be something genetic.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:06 pm

I am so sorry to hear that! I hope he gets better soon!
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:33 am

Just to recap:

Winston and his ear. Checking in tomorrow to see what needs to be done and when to get him in.

Merlin and his tail. Another week to go before we check in to see what needs to be done and get him in also.

Gracie is getting a dental at 8:30 am.

Elda is getting a check on her hip lump on Wednesday.

Franny decided to have her back legs go out tonight. I am currently waiting on the ER to call us back as the vet was leaving on a farm call and may not be back for hours. They want to see her. The last time this happened in the fall it was unholy severe constipation and she had to be hospitalized for five days to get her moving again. Unfortunately she is still eating this time and is very alert, so I'm not sure that is the problem. Her abdomen is distended to the sides and I don't know enough to tell if it is intestines or kidney. So yay.... And since it's 1am here hubby is trying to sneak in a nap so we can make it down there when they call.

This is getting crazy. Absolutely crazy. And we still have 18 that are now past due for their yearlies because their scheduled appointments keep getting bumped for the emergencies!

Oh, and we have another foster, because this lady my hubby knows tossed an indoor only 5 year cat outside after they took him in for someone and got allergies. And now neither me nor him really want to rehome him 'cause that 'tude.

ARRRRGGGHHHHImageImage

Topic author
wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:07 am

Stayed up till daybreak, vet still wasn't back.
Made an appointment for this afternoon that they canceled a few hours later because their x-ray is down. Our vets xray is also down. Trying to figure out the next step. Fran is holding steady. Why is this never easy??

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:43 pm

Oh my Wode. I am so sorry you are going through all of this! You certainly have your hands full! I hope it is just constipation for poor Franny! Your foster cat is handsome! What is his name?

Topic author
wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:45 pm

He came with the name Hank and it is just perfect!

One of Fran's kidneys is enlarged. Her electrolytes are completely out of whack and her WBC is raised. It's probably lymphoma on the kidneys again - we lost Skitter to this last year. Doc says we need ultrasound and/or xray today, so we have a midnight appointment at the ER, the evening vet is out on another farm call. She's hoping they'll say it's a stone or infection, but I think that is just hope. It's the wonderful office manager tonight who has always taken great care of us so I know we'll get in.

Topic author
wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:35 am

Lymphoma. We're going to attempt treatment and seeif she bounces back any.

Topic author
wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:21 am

She is actually doing much better on pain meds. One kidney is enlarged but neither looks normal. There is thickening of her GI tract and she has a good-sized lump on the side of her jaw so it may have spread or she may have two cancers.

We have three days to get her using the box and walking comfortably. We may need to call it quits on Friday. Fingers crossed.

She also has a bladder infection. The last time that happened her legs were giving out and she became so constipated she needed a five day hospital stay. So that may be why she isn't walking right.

Her med list is: convenia (antibiotic), cerenia (nausea), gabapentin (nerve pain), buprenorphine (pain), lactulose (stool softener), Capstar (fleas), and huge doses of prednisolone (steroid) which could possibly put cancer into remission for a few months.

We will only do this if she can be comfortable. If she's not then we'll call it. We've done this a dozen times already. Cancer sucks.

Winston is scheduled for surgery on his ear for Friday. She's going to literally button it like a quilt, with actual buttons. Should be healed in a few weeks. We'll get the coagulation panel back tomorrow to see if there is an underlying problem.

Gracie did great with her dental. I am hoping it's the aftereffects of the meds but she is walking froglegged, like she used to when she was little. Otherwise she is good.

Long day, but not even tired.

Topic author
wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:26 am

Totally talky at the vets and at home.

I feel like my hubby cursed us by finding an IV stand a few weeks ago. How many pet owners have one of these anyways? She needs daily SQ fluids, too.

Oh, and she is a PEACH to medicate. Seriously. I swear she has no sense of taste! ImageImageImage

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:22 am

When it rains it pours. Poor baby! Everything happens for a reason...right? Sounds like it was a stroke of luck with the IV stand! Glad you were able to get it! I hope all of the meds help keep her comfortable and that her quality of life improves! At least she has owners that know what they are doing! Do you have a go fund me page? I hope that Winston's surgery goes well! Please keep us posted!

Topic author
wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:35 pm

This is our 15th cat that has been tentatively diagnosed with lymphoma. We never did a biopsy to confirm as it's only been recently that we could even consider chemo and none have been good travel candidates (nearest clinic is over an hour away). The outcome with or without the biopsy would have still been the same either way, so why put them through that?

We're giving her to next week. She's eating and eliminating so she is at no immediate risk, and I'm concerned about how much is the bladder infection and how much is the cancer. She's having good and bad moments, but for the most part is just sleeping. I swear she went an entire day and a half without sleeping on the weekend so hoping this is catch up.

Elda's lump seems to be cellulitis, but it isn't bothering her. She got a shot of anti-inflammatories and we recheck in a month if it still there. Can stop worrying about that for now.

Gracie came home from her dental absolutley great on Monday night, but by morning she was limping. Checked out fine with the vet, but then she wasn't keeping food down and has been coughing. They sent us home with anti-nausea meds and she seems to be doing better now and is eating a bit. We'll see what tomorrow brings.

Bug is still cute. Image

Topic author
wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:58 pm

Fran is doing good tonight. Happy Fran is Loud Fran. ImageImageImageImage

angelbearpuppy

Post by angelbearpuppy » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:39 pm

wodesorel wrote:Fran is doing good tonight. Happy Fran is Loud Fran. ImageImageImageImage
I am glad to hear she is happy. Every time I see this cat.I think of my own. Could be a carbon copy. He lived 20 somthing years then passed due to cancer

Sent from my LGL157BL using Tapatalk
I have owned Hermit Crabs for 2 Years

I have 1 E named Monkey and 2 PP named Shy Guy and Little P

I also own 1 PP named Dory who stays in my classroom