And now it's a bottle baby kitten... [12/21 And again...]

For discussion and photos of all of the non-hermit crab pets we hold dear, including other crab species.

Topic author
wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: And now it's a bottle baby kitten...

Post by wodesorel » Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:48 pm

Welp, Simba's heart murmer has worsened to a grade VI.... That means it's as bad as possible and he's likely going to just drop dead sometime very soon. There is a slight chance it's been aggravated up to that from the grade IV where he had been holding steady by his skin issues, but he is still at risk while it's this severe. We can't treat the heart until his skin starts to clear up due to mixing medication.

Doc thinks the both of them have some sort of autoimmune, possibly actually lupus. With how mild her skin is and how close to death Simba is we'll just treat symptoms this time rather than go whole hog.

Runtskies is settling down and settling in at least. Can you tell Fran is her sister?

ImageImage
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

AwesomeHermit

Post by AwesomeHermit » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:23 pm

I just lost track of all of your cats :crabblush:
One or hopefully two Clypeatus
Goodbye my little E. See you soon.
Bye Fred. You lasted almost 4 years with me. Hope you're with my E now! See you soon Reeba as well. I can't believe I lost you only after a month.
Crabbing for 4 years!

Topic author
wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:47 am

AwesomeHermit wrote:I just lost track of all of your cats :crabblush:
Oh, you and everyone else, including our vet. Image

I need to make an infographic one of these days, but I have so much stuff to sort through still. We used to send out a Christmas card with a picture of the cats inside. Image All my older relatives at the time thought it was the best thing ever.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:49 pm

wodesorel wrote:
AwesomeHermit wrote:I just lost track of all of your cats :crabblush:
Oh, you and everyone else, including our vet. Image

:hlol: OH MY WORD!! Hilarious!!
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:49 pm

I hope everyone gets better soon!
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:06 pm

They're getting there. :)

Simba and Little Miss are already clearing up on the antibiotics and spray.

Merlin's tail seems like it's coming back slowly. It's rainbow shaped at the moment! He still won't leave the cage, and now he has others (TJ) moving in with him. Image

Winston looks fantastic! He's escaped from the cage twice and had his collar off a few times, so he managed to clean the ear up. It is still draining a bit. I would share pictures but he's still a bit bloody and it makes me a little squeamish, so I'm sure others would be upset by it as well. The buttons are awesome though, he looks like a quilt!

Fran is such a loudmouth! She is also doing great. Hoping doc will have good news next week about the oncologist.

Runtskies has relaxed and is eating like a pig. Thinking she just got overwhelmed again. The joys of high strung cats. Tripp won't leave the top of her cage.

Elda's lump is half the size now.

Bug is also doing excellent. Still has her oddities and you could knock her over with a feather, but she's in the middle of a growth spurt so she is nice and chunky. 13 weeks old!

ImageImage

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:17 pm

Awww on Bug!! She is so beautiful!! :cloud9:

So glad to hear about the updates!! How is Hank?

Topic author
wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:41 pm

OMG so "classic Bug pose" is actually "FOOD!". It only took me three months to figure it out. ImageImage

Topic author
wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:52 pm

Winston is looking so much better! Check out Quilt Cat! The swelling is gone and his ear has gone back to a normal shape. Image The buttons don't bother him at all, he just looks super weird.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:53 pm

Awww...sweet little Winston!! His ear looks a tiny puffy still. I love the buttons!! I have never seen that done!

Love the Bug pics!!

Topic author
wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:24 pm

Great news from the vet today - Simba's heart murmur is back down to a IV! It seems the worsening was from his skin being inflamed. (Heart murmurs in cats are weird y'all. Most are not constant, they get way worse with stress, and they can come and go throughout their lives.)

The vet listened for a good two minutes, stepped back from the table, put her hands on the edge, hung her head and was totally "I need a minute here to breathe". She honestly thought he wasn't going to make it through the week his heart had been that bad before. She was so thrilled and needed to decompress over the stress. So, we finish getting his skin under control and get him on some meds to make his heart hopefully better.

Winston also got a repreive from the ecollar, since he kept wearing it as a skirt. :)

Bug was watching my new fishies with me tonight!

And proving you are never too old for mom, two and a half year olds Jake (grey and white) and Cricket (black and white) cuddling with their momma CeeCee (brown and white). ImageImage

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:11 am

That's great news! Love the pics as always!!

How is Hank doing? Are you keeping him?

Is Fran still doing good?

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:27 am

My sister is a vet, and has done the 'button' treatment for floppy eared dogs who have ear hematomas. I keep an eye out for large flat buttons for that purpose. I will have to ask her if she has ever 'buttoned' a cat's ear!
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:58 pm

curlysister wrote:My sister is a vet, and has done the 'button' treatment for floppy eared dogs who have ear hematomas. I keep an eye out for large flat buttons for that purpose. I will have to ask her if she has ever 'buttoned' a cat's ear!
I adore this. The thought of a crafty person out shopping for buttons for a vet is so freaking wonderful!!

GotButterflies wrote:That's great news! Love the pics as always!!

How is Hank doing? Are you keeping him?

Is Fran still doing good?
Hank is awesome. Hubby decided that we should rehome him. He is so aggitated by having other cats in the house (in closed off rooms with doors to the ground) that we doubt he'd be comfortable with our craziness. And that's okay, not all cats can be happy in a grouo. He is gorgeous and friendly so he should be able to find a home. I'm hoping we can talk my friend at the pet shop into doing the adoption, she has older and harder to place shelter cats at their shop. She got through the backlog of all the longterm shelter residents so can take newer additions.

Fran is still doing really good. She has a checkup on Wednesday with her sister so we'll see what the doc says and if there is any more news on the possibility of chemo. Also need medication refills. First time we have ever needed that for a cancer cat! And we even used up the extras we had sitting around.

Noelle, the cat the neighbors brought us a couple weeks ago, is REALLY pregnant. The shelter vet missed it when she got examined and somehow my hubby didn't notice until this weekend. I hadn't wanted to get involved with her because I get too attached so I never even touched her when she came and he's been caring for her at the other house. (Still waiting for probate on his mom's place because the court lost the will, 17 months and counting.) I thought he could just deal with her and get her out and adopted. Nope. Went up there yesterday and she is probably 8 weeks along. Visit with our vet today confirmed, there's at least two kittens and it'll be any day. So.... Neither of us are totally okay with the idea of spaying this late, thought the shelter will and for good reason. I guess we're still on the fence about going that route, but we will probably let her have the kittens and then keep either all of them or all but one. (If we let her do this we will step up and take responsibility for allowing more kittens into this world. Oh my gosh have they had too many kittens dumped at the shelter this year. :( Not enough homes out there.)

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:41 pm

LOL, I am definitely the crafty one in the family. In exchange for the buttons, she sometimes gets me the 'good' vet wrap. In human health care, my region won't spring for the fancy patterned stuff, it's only plain boring 'flesh' color. My kid patients love the wrap with the tractors or frogs or stars!
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers