Bully fish!

For discussion and photos of all of the non-hermit crab pets we hold dear, including other crab species.

Topic author
ciaraalston

Bully fish!

Post by ciaraalston » Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:08 am

We bought a dalmation Molly a while back and named him Fidget. (One because he does this thing with his mouth, two because one of the dogs from 101 dalmations Disney movie is fidget)
Anyway, he was in a tank with some platys and other various fish, and he chases the platys. His top fin flares up and he will go after them until they hide.
I put him in a 10 gallon by himself, and tried to add a beta (with a screen between) and when the Betta slipped past the screen fidget chased him too. Not near as much as the platys, because the Betta was quick to get away into the plants, but he's still chasing. So I moved fidget back into the other 10 gallon alone again. I would like him to have tank mates if possible. Any advice?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.
Follow my hermit crab learning journey on instagram! @hermitcrabs_in_the_boot

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Bully fish!

Post by aussieJJDude » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:27 am

How big is the platy tank? Sometimes small tanks can incite aggression...

Any possibility of a pic - it may be a little too bare, adding more decor can help reduce aggression by providing territories and braking up line of sight.

Was he just chasing, and no physical contact? Any possibility that he is 'trying' to breed with the platies? From my experience, livebearer males are the worse and in a constant 'breeding mode' state.... If he is not getting physical, I personally wouldn't worry... chasing is pretty normal and a sign that he is trying to assert dominance.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
ciaraalston

Re: Bully fish!

Post by ciaraalston » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:28 am

aussieJJDude wrote:How big is the platy tank? Sometimes small tanks can incite aggression...

Any possibility of a pic - it may be a little too bare, adding more decor can help reduce aggression by providing territories and braking up line of sight.

Was he just chasing, and no physical contact? Any possibility that he is 'trying' to breed with the platies? From my experience, livebearer males are the worse and in a constant 'breeding mode' state.... If he is not getting physical, I personally wouldn't worry... chasing is pretty normal and a sign that he is trying to assert dominance.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
I'm sorry, i just saw this!

So, the platy tank is a 20 gallon. I'll try to get a picture when i get home. There's a huge piece of wood in the center, and a large plant on the right side.
From what i can see, he just chases. His top fin flares up and he chases them around. I haven't seen any damage to their fins.

Would you recommend me moving him back to the betta tank? Its more heavily planted...
I don't want to put him in a tank alone, but i don't want him to hurt any other fish... Maybe set up the other 20 gallon and add more dalmation mollys? Maybe he needs a buddy?
4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.
Follow my hermit crab learning journey on instagram! @hermitcrabs_in_the_boot