Butterfly?

For discussion and photos of all of the non-hermit crab pets we hold dear, including other crab species.

Jamison

Re: Butterfly?

Post by Jamison » Sat May 25, 2019 8:10 pm

Cococrabgirl! wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 7:16 pm
Butterfly or caterpillar?

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
Both
2 purple pinchers
1 old dog

I will miss you Lloyd! Good luck up In Hermie Heaven!
You to Hagrid!

Topic author
Cococrabgirl!

Post by Cococrabgirl! » Sun May 26, 2019 10:42 am

Jamison wrote: Both
Okay! My favorite container to use for the caterpillar is a cool wip container. The reason why it is nice and wide so if one of the caterpillars molts on the side I won't hurt him when cleaning their waste and giving them fresh food. I don't keep the butterflies for very long. I release them back into the wild. I am not quite sure what enclosure should be used for a butterfly. When the caterpillars are very large and are soon going to go into cocoon I put them in the yellow circled enclosure. They are made of net mesh stuff and it is easier for the butterflies to climb. I also on the cool wip container make a little "latch" out of tape and a rubber band. It makes the lid more secure and for easy access. If you have any more questions I happy to answer them!ImageImageImage

My pets! Trixie(dachshund) Bella(yorkie poo) Hermy(female pp) Dory(male pp) (btw I named Hermy and Dory before I new their gender oops) lots of Marimos!

Jamison

Post by Jamison » Sun May 26, 2019 9:25 pm

Cococrabgirl! wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 10:42 am
Okay! My favorite container to use for the caterpillar is a cool wip container. The reason why it is nice and wide so if one of the caterpillars molts on the side I won't hurt him when cleaning their waste and giving them fresh food. I don't keep the butterflies for very long. I release them back into the wild. I am not quite sure what enclosure should be used for a butterfly. When the caterpillars are very large and are soon going to go into cocoon I put them in the yellow circled enclosure. They are made of net mesh stuff and it is easier for the butterflies to climb. I also on the cool wip container make a little "latch" out of tape and a rubber band. It makes the lid more secure and for easy access. If you have any more questions I happy to answer them!ImageImageImage

Thank you so much!
2 purple pinchers
1 old dog

I will miss you Lloyd! Good luck up In Hermie Heaven!
You to Hagrid!

Topic author
Cococrabgirl!

Post by Cococrabgirl! » Mon May 27, 2019 7:17 am

Jamison wrote: Thank you so much!
You're welcome! I forgot to sa make sure you do research of what ever caterpillar you are raising. Some can be poisonous or need special care. My caterpillars have these red antennae that they shoot out when hey feel threatened. Some people may have an allergic reaction to it ,but thankfully I haven't. I hope this helps you!

My pets! Trixie(dachshund) Bella(yorkie poo) Hermy(female pp) Dory(male pp) (btw I named Hermy and Dory before I new their gender oops) lots of Marimos!