Leopard gecko

For discussion and photos of all of the non-hermit crab pets we hold dear, including other crab species.

Topic author
ha_haley

Leopard gecko

Post by ha_haley » Thu May 30, 2019 8:12 pm

Hello all!

My little cousin is dying for a pet, she’s really wanting some sort of reptile/something that can live in an aquarium/terrarium. We’ve ruled out hermit crabs.

We have a few limitations though. Her parents are divorced. She normally spends the weekend away from her home, so it needs to be a pet that could be left for a weekend without worry. It must stay in the tank whenever she isn’t home.

I have zero knowledge/experience in keeping reptiles. She’s been talking about a leopard gecko, but like I send I have no idea how to care for one or if this would be a good fit for her.

Would a leopard gecko fit her situation? If not, would someone be able to suggest a reptile that would fit the above criteria? And I will gladly take any care guides you all have to offer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Leopard gecko

Post by wodesorel » Thu May 30, 2019 8:34 pm

The only issue is with heating. Most of it is set and forget, but someone should still be monitoring it regularly to make sure it stays in the safe ranges. I would strongly suggest a good quality thermostat to prevent injury to the gecko. The set up costs are a little higher, but it will prevent burns and digestive issues from the temp being too hot or cold. The really good ones come with auditory alarms to alert whichever parent will be responsible for watching over it.

Many reptiles do just fine with feedings a few times a week, so being left over a weekend is not a big deal. Leopard and cresteds are the easiest and the most interactive. Leo's are up more during the day but require heat. Cresteds are more nocturnal but do okay at most room temps so no heat needed.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
ha_haley

Post by ha_haley » Thu May 30, 2019 8:42 pm

Thank you for the quick reply! They live in an old farmhouse that doesn’t have heat and depends on a wood stove to heat the house and it gets super cold, so I think any kind of pet would need heat in their house.

I think I would like to get her leopard gecko for her since she was super interested in them. Do you know of any good care guides/forums/groups?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HermitCrabCHICA

Post by HermitCrabCHICA » Sun Jul 11, 2021 2:01 pm

I also need some care guides/forums/groups for leopard geckos to learn more about them.
RIP My precious Bubbles and Kelpcake. :(