What's harmful to giant African millipedes?

For discussion and photos of all of the non-hermit crab pets we hold dear, including other crab species.

Topic author
Chocobo

What's harmful to giant African millipedes?

Post by Chocobo » Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:49 am

I want to get a black train millipede very soon since they require a similar setup to hermit crabs. Does anyone know what consumables/items can hurt them?
my grasshopper is going to be a mom 💕 https://streamable.com/n8zpap

Jamison

Re: What's harmful to giant African millipedes?

Post by Jamison » Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:42 pm

You can't put the millipede with the hermits
2 purple pinchers
1 old dog

I will miss you Lloyd! Good luck up In Hermie Heaven!
You to Hagrid!

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:13 pm

I don’t know much about millipedes, however anything on the HCA Unsafe List should probably be avoided (not that you’re likely to use those, anyways).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PinchersAndShells

Post by PinchersAndShells » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:54 am

Most millipede species eat their substrate and rotting wood, for my millipedes I use a mix of coconut fiber, worm castings, sphagnum moss, powdered rotting wood, crushed cuttlebone, leaf litter, orchid bark, and a small amount of sand. They can be fed various fruits and veggies but their primary food source is the substrate, so you'll want to make sure you give them a nice deep layer and keep in mind their needs when choosing your substrate mix. :)
4 PPs + 1 E = Dusty, Momo, Merle, Seasalt, & Elvis
2 Captive Bred PPs = Randy & Roxie
75 Gallon Crabitat | Crabbing Since 8.11.2015
https://www.instagram.com/pinchersandshells/

AwesomeHermit

Post by AwesomeHermit » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:32 pm

Jamison wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:42 pm
I’m almost sure that they meant that they wanted to own black train millipedes because they need similar requirements to hermit crabs. This would make them easier to keep because the OP’er has background information.
One or hopefully two Clypeatus
Goodbye my little E. See you soon.
Bye Fred. You lasted almost 4 years with me. Hope you're with my E now! See you soon Reeba as well. I can't believe I lost you only after a month.
Crabbing for 4 years!

AwesomeHermit

Post by AwesomeHermit » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:32 pm

Jamison wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:42 pm
I’m almost sure that they meant that they wanted to own black train millipedes because they need similar requirements to hermit crabs. This would make them easier to keep because the OP’er has background information.
One or hopefully two Clypeatus
Goodbye my little E. See you soon.
Bye Fred. You lasted almost 4 years with me. Hope you're with my E now! See you soon Reeba as well. I can't believe I lost you only after a month.
Crabbing for 4 years!

Jamison

Post by Jamison » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:20 pm

AwesomeHermit wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:32 pm
Oh. Sorry for the misunderstanding
2 purple pinchers
1 old dog

I will miss you Lloyd! Good luck up In Hermie Heaven!
You to Hagrid!

Topic author
Chocobo

Post by Chocobo » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:58 pm

Lol

Topic author
Chocobo

Post by Chocobo » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:43 pm

It turns out I wasn't able to get one anyway. Apparently it's illegal to ship them to the US because a lot of Americans are idiots and will just kick pets out because [insert invalid reason here], and then they make too many babies. I mean, the amount of animals that are illegal in the US really goes to show just how many big stupids there can be here. No offense because I'm also American and not just someone bashing a certain country, but i really do see and hear about too many pets get kicked out by stupid people where I live. I've seen in person lots of dogs and cats, a cockatiel I took in that didn't live long, and I even saw a pet lizard outside of a Dollar General not too long ago.

PinchersAndShells

Post by PinchersAndShells » Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:17 pm

Actually giant African millipedes are legal in the United States, as long as they’re already being kept as pets here. It’s only illegal to import them due to the mites that naturally live on them, as the mites are a threat to crops. You’re legally allowed to own one that is the offspring of a millipede that was imported before the ban, but they run about $300 through $500 each.
4 PPs + 1 E = Dusty, Momo, Merle, Seasalt, & Elvis
2 Captive Bred PPs = Randy & Roxie
75 Gallon Crabitat | Crabbing Since 8.11.2015
https://www.instagram.com/pinchersandshells/

Topic author
Chocobo

Post by Chocobo » Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:06 pm

I ended up getting small desert millipedes that get 8 inches long, and also an ivory millipede that is tame now and doesn't make itself smell weird when it's picked up. I still really want a giant african and wish there was a website that ships them to the US. I don't care if it's illegal. It's not like I would do anything wrong with the millipede.

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:51 am

Please do not get an illegal pet of any kind. It is NOT responsible to own a pet of any kind that has been deemed illegal, no matter what your intentions are.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:05 pm

curlysister wrote:Please do not get an illegal pet of any kind. It is NOT responsible to own a pet of any kind that has been deemed illegal, no matter what your intentions are.
Not to mention the confiscation of your animal and the possibility of fines. There are simply too many ways illegal importation can go wrong.

If you really want one, verify your state’s laws for legality and find a domestic breeder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:43 pm

I agree with curlysister. Just enjoy caring for the critters you do have. There's no need to unnecssarily stress an animal by illegally importing it from another country.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:51 am

They aren't illegal to own in the US, just illegal to import new ones. Like PinchersAndShells said, they cost a fortune to purchase now. I remember when they were $15 at the pet shop! There are so few breeders now that when they do come up for sale they are hundreds of dollars each. I've been wanting to get a couple breeding pairs for years now (have wanted to own one for about 30, ever since I saw one as a kid at a library event) but haven't been able to track down any with confirmed sexes to buy, and at those prices am worried about getting screwed over and being sold only males.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram