Respiratory Infection?

For discussion and photos of all of the non-hermit crab pets we hold dear, including other crab species.

Topic author
FJrocks003

Respiratory Infection?

Post by FJrocks003 » Thu May 14, 2020 12:46 pm

I promised myself that I would stop posting so much about my snake, but this time it is an an actual emergency. My snake is very sick. After her escape she started acting weird. Everything else was normal, but she was making wheezing/coughing noises. I started worrying about a respiratory infection (lost a chameleon to one not long ago). I started hearing popping/crackling noises from her chest, so I finally checked her mouth and found lots of bubbles. These signs all point to a respiratory infection. I scheduled a vet trip for a few days from now, but it was really hard to find a vet anywhere nearby. Anyone know what I should do until then? She is really sick.
Indigo, Fleck, Flame, Dilly, and our newest addition: Thunder
RIP: Bubbles (passed on Wednesday March 31, 2020)

Hermielover121

Re: Respiratory Infection?

Post by Hermielover121 » Thu May 14, 2020 12:57 pm

Awe I am soo sorry. Well I don’t know much about that but if you need more snake help I am sure there is more forums on Tapatalk. If you don’t have the app download it will help you a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hermielover121

Post by Hermielover121 » Thu May 14, 2020 1:11 pm

Here is one

Click the following link to join Injured snakes:
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/injuredsnakes/

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Thu May 14, 2020 1:15 pm

She needs antibiotics as fast as possible, are there any emergency vets nearby? Infections that are that severe generally cannot wait for treatment.

I'm not sure how to handle native snakes, but a reptile vet should be able to advise on what temp and humidity to hold her at. This is extremely important for tropical and desert species when they get URIs.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Thu May 14, 2020 1:45 pm

If you can't find an emergency vet, call the vet back who you have an upcoming appointment and tell them it is an emergency and can not wait a couple of days.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
FJrocks003

Post by FJrocks003 » Thu May 14, 2020 2:20 pm

The vet said that they are really busy (being the only vet that takes exotics within an hour of where I live that hasn't closed) and can't take her any sooner then saturday mourning. I'm bringing her in then and I'm hoping it will be soon enough. I'm giving her a warm soak every day and I raised her temperature on the warm side a little. I want to keep an eye on her but I don't want to stress her out. Is there anything else that I should be doing?

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Thu May 14, 2020 7:23 pm

FJrocks003 wrote:The vet said that they are really busy (being the only vet that takes exotics within an hour of where I live that hasn't closed) and can't take her any sooner then saturday mourning. I'm bringing her in then and I'm hoping it will be soon enough. I'm giving her a warm soak every day and I raised her temperature on the warm side a little. I want to keep an eye on her but I don't want to stress her out. Is there anything else that I should be doing?
I saw this on a forum about snakes and URIs. The best you can do is offer supportive care until Saturday. Make sure there's a good temperature gradient (warm side, cooler side), proper humidity, clean water and bedding, and limit stress.
So sorry to hear she's sick. Image I would Google every vet in your area and start calling to see if they can get you in for an emergency.

"Re: Respiratory Infection

Sounds like your corn snake has an advanced RI. His only chance is immediate vet care to get a prescription for antibiotics, usually Baytril suspension, orally for 7-14 days. In severe cases, an injection initially.

Improper temps / environment, combined with stress/lowered immunity is usually the cause. Specifically, usually too warm with a lack of temperature gradient.

Drafty, too cold, dampness, unsanitary conditions can also cause it. Rarely, it is caused by the snakes lowered immunity due to being gravid, high parasite load, age, etc. while fighting off an asymptomatic virus. This opens the door for normally harmless bacteria to invade the upper respiratory system. Without proper antibiotic therapy, it usually turns to pneumonia and then its fatal.

Regardless of anything else, I'm sure this is a RI and vet visit is needed promptly"

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Last edited by CrabbyLover77 on Thu May 14, 2020 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Pets: 2 Pomeranians, 1 Russian tortoise, fishes/snails(40 gal freshwater aquarium), and 13 hermit crabs.
"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Thu May 14, 2020 7:33 pm

Another thought, call the vet you have an appt with. Ask them if they can even call you in an antibiotic prescription for a days worth, just to get her started. And then you can come in for the visit on Saturday morning. Do you know her weight? If they have any heart at all they can give you a medicine for a day, but they may need to know her weight to prescribe the correct dose. Just be insistent that she cannot wait for treatment until Saturday. Please keep us updated.

My Pets: 2 Pomeranians, 1 Russian tortoise, fishes/snails(40 gal freshwater aquarium), and 13 hermit crabs.
"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Thu May 14, 2020 10:50 pm

CL77, it may not have anything to do with 'having a heart'. Where I live, in order to legally prescribe a medication that is not available over the counter, a vet must have a relationship with an animal. That means that they must be a patient, and/ or an assessment must be done. Same with humans - as a primary care provider, I can not legally prescribe you an antibiotic (or other prescription medication) without assessing your condition.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Thu May 14, 2020 10:59 pm

Yep, there needs to be a veterinary-client relationship. Most vets define this as having seen the animal in question within the last 12 months. At the very least, and some vets are comfortable pushing the boundaries of the rules - you must be established at the office with a history of care for other animals or the animal in question in the last. One of my vets is the former and will not discuss an animal that hasn't been seen lately and usually still wants an exam before meds, the other office will give me advice on anything I call in about up to a certain point - but never meds.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Thu May 14, 2020 11:19 pm

I guess I was assuming that there was a vet/client relationship. I've been with my vet for 20 years, so I had that in mind when I was writing.
I know many vets are doing the best they can, but I just get so upset to hear that an animal is suffering and unable to get the care it needs. I feel very lucky to have an ER vet only 25 mins from my house.

Topic author
FJrocks003

Post by FJrocks003 » Fri May 15, 2020 6:59 am

That's fine and usually that would be exactly what I would do. I have a vet 5 minutes from my house but they don't take snakes and another 15 minutes away that does but they closed due to covid. None of the vets that I have ever been to in my area take snakes for some reason, they all take lizards and turtles but this is the first time I'm trying to take my snake. I wish I could get her in sooner, but it seems like this is my only option. I've made her comfortable and I'm hoping for the best.

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Sat May 16, 2020 2:29 am

FJrocks003 wrote:That's fine and usually that would be exactly what I would do. I have a vet 5 minutes from my house but they don't take snakes and another 15 minutes away that does but they closed due to covid. None of the vets that I have ever been to in my area take snakes for some reason, they all take lizards and turtles but this is the first time I'm trying to take my snake. I wish I could get her in sooner, but it seems like this is my only option. I've made her comfortable and I'm hoping for the best.
Good luck today! Let us know how you make out. Keeping my fingers crossed for you guys. Image

Topic author
FJrocks003

Post by FJrocks003 » Sat May 16, 2020 9:50 pm

We took her in today and the vet said that she was going to be fine. We got a medication to take daily and she already seems better! Also, why is everyone always responding to my questions in the middle of the night lol (Yes I do know that it is 11pm right no but still)

Hermielover121

Post by Hermielover121 » Sat May 16, 2020 10:21 pm

Awe so happy to hear that