My Kids brought back 25 little Hermit Crabs one day.

For discussion and photos of all of the non-hermit crab pets we hold dear, including other crab species.

Topic author
clapsrm

My Kids brought back 25 little Hermit Crabs one day.

Post by clapsrm » Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:36 am

After yelling at them and my wife for doing it I set up a 5 gallon tank with saltwater and a air hose. They were doing good so when my wife and kids were going back to the beach I told them to bring back half of the crabs and bring back more shells because obviously they like to change shells. They didn't and brought back 10 more mhc's, 2 small reg. crabs, and 3 pufferfish. After losing it again, I suddenly had a change of heart, thought I could use this as a teachable moment. I have always maintained a 55 gallon freshwater tank but only had about 4 small fish in there. Suddenly I thought this would be a good time to try a saltwater tank. After doing much research I order a protein skimmer, a ultraviolet light filter, salt, live rock, refractometer and 300 bucks later I have a saltwater tank with all still alive a month later. Kids think it is cool, but somehow the teachable moment was missed; the work, the caring about live things, the money.
Does anyone know what mhc's are native to Long Island? That is where they are from. They are small and seemingly plain looking. Also, what is proper salt concentration for my area (so I don't have to drive to the beach to get a sample!)

kgbenson

Re: My Kids brought back 25 little Hermit Crabs one day.

Post by kgbenson » Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:04 am

clapsrm wrote:Also, what is proper salt concentration for my area (so I don't have to drive to the beach to get a sample!)
Just check what you have and if different from your salt mix - slowly adjust them to the salt mix over several days.

Keith

Topic author
clapsrm

Post by clapsrm » Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:17 pm

Thanks. The refractometer read 42% so I added some water. Do you check PH levels the same way as freshwater too?

kgbenson

Post by kgbenson » Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:23 pm

clapsrm wrote:Thanks. The refractometer read 42% so I added some water.
Yikes - that is high. This is the water you made up, or the water they are in?

If it is the water they are in - go slowly adjusting them down to NSW levels. The only thing inverts tolerate more poorly than incorrect osmolality are rapid changes in osmolality.
Do you check PH levels the same way as freshwater too?
Usually. Some kits can be used for both, some cannot. Just read the package. Of course if you have a meter, then no worries.

Keith

annopia

Post by annopia » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:31 pm

i'm not exactly sure what you mean by red-leg crab, but unless you're referring to the scarlett hermit crab or the mexican reg leg hermit crab, you might have a small problem. MHCs are very very delicate and most other crabs, like emerald crabs, will bully them and have a nice little meal. i've got an MHC only tank and every once in a while i research to see if some other crabs could be added...and i haven't found a compatible one yet. they don't even do well with peppermint shrimp.

have you visited wetwebmedia? they were a huge help to me when i was starting up my own tank.

oh, and to get the proper salinity, i usually make up the water as directed by instant ocean mix it up, and use the little gauge device to see what it is. i'll look up the safe zone when i can get home to look at it, but i think its the same wherever the MHC are from, tropical or not.

you're going to need an API Master Test Kit, to test (at minimum) pH, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. I also test for calcium because i have some problems with it.

do you have any pictures of the cuties? i know, theyre hard to take when they're so small, but i just got a new ant (means that four of them with shells fit easily on a dime) and i've managed to take a good pic or two of him. i would think that either you have some sort of diogenid/dardanus or a zebra hermit, like corinth:

if you can get pics or at least describe them we can help you find out what species they are.

what temperature are you keeping them at?

Caroline
26 LHC: 6 PPs, 5 Es, 1 Straw, 6 Ruggies, 2 Indos, 1 Blueberry, 4 Violas, 1 Aussie

OIF_VET

Post by OIF_VET » Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:39 am

When I was running a Marine tank...I was advised the salinity should be near
(At) 1.024. I cant remember the name of the instrument used to measure salinity.
As for the other items mentioned...I am lost, I have no idea what they are.
I am glad to hear that the inhabitants are still alive and seem to be doing good.
Good luck and have fun with the Marine tank.
OIF_VET
Welcome to the HCA! Advice for the Stressed, Owners and Crabs alike.
Been Crabby Since 8/16/05 Land, Marine Hermit Crabs Since Summer '04
Currently Have 4 PPs. I have Countless Successful Molts!
MY "Lil Dudes"

Topic author
clapsrm

Re: My Kids brought back 25 little Hermit Crabs one day.

Post by clapsrm » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:04 am

After all of this time there a still about 20 little ones still in the tank. My kids brought home a few big ones once but then were not in the tank I assume the puffer fish had a nice meal. The puffers have gone away so now there are just 4 killies and about 100 little snails along with a very large clam, some mussels and a few of those things that attach themselves to shells and rocks. I have added some live rock but I am not sure it is alive because the temperature is a little colder than tropical. I have to change the tank and I am putting a more marine substrate down with no undergravel filter. I tried to post pictures years ago but couldn't figure it out for this site. I will try when I finish with the new tank.