Mice

For discussion and photos of all of the non-hermit crab pets we hold dear, including other crab species.

YYWW

Re: Mice

Post by YYWW » Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:24 pm

I love that tiny popsicle stick table! So cute!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:43 am

Don't worry Calla, before you know it you will have an awesome house like the link you posted! :)
But your mouse house, OMG, it is awesome! True it a totally different ball park compared to the monster you posted - I think it is bigger than my fish tank & hermit crab tank combined - however I love the simplicity & creativity of yours.

Curious question, do mice give off a really bad odor like people say?
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:25 am

They definitely have an odor but it's easily kept in check with frequent spot cleaning. I originally described it as a corn chip-ish smell but when I picked up some Jasmine Rice a while ago, that smell from it (uncooked) is much closer. Close enough that my husband can't eat it anymore. :lol: I think you do get used to it after a while though. From what I understand, male mice have a bit of a stronger odor than females.

Thank you, JJ and YYWW. :)

megmaholm

Post by megmaholm » Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:53 am

Corn chips, yes! When I had female rats years ago, it was such a delightful smell. Everyone thought I was nuts. Boys, though...oh, boy. Not sure how the mice compare to rats, but male rats are nasty. Fred and George (my 2) pee everywhere, sleep in their pee, pee on the side of the cage, pee out of the cage... :roll: I pressure wash their cage as often as I can, but they are definitely strong smelling. I'm thinking female mice may be the better route ;)
Crabbing since July 2014! 75 gallon with 12 Purple Pinchers.

Topic author
CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:28 am

It's not for everyone. :lol: It doesn't bother me much either. Every pet comes with some kind of odor, good or bad. The crabs have their earthy tank smells. Fish tanks too. Cats and dogs, even when kept clean have their own smell. My sister used to have sugar gliders and they smelled like puppy breath! Which I'll take that corn chip mouse smell over any day. :lol:

Makes me think of Mushu on Mulan. "So a couple of guys don't rinse out their socks. Picky, picky, picky. Well, myself, I kinda like that corn chip smell." :lol:

Topic author
CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:03 pm

Just got around to reintroducing yesterday. I wanted to do it on a day I could keep a close eye on things. It's going better. Not perfectly, but better! I don't think I've ever been this worried about introducing crabs! :lol: Of course I never had crabs really truly fight fight either (causing harm) upon introductions and I have a better understanding of their dominance displays.

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:34 am

I glad to see that things are getting better in the land of squeaks! :) I really hope they all bond well for you.
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:51 am

Unfortunately, I just had to separate Cheeseburger from the group. Hashbrown, Twix, and Cheeseburger had bonded pretty well. Still some small tiffs but they were settling nicely, except they began ousting poor Bacon. Almost every time Bacon tried to come put to play, eat, drink, whatever they would chase her back to her box. Her box where she was sleeping alone because they wouldn't let her snuggle up with them. :( Bacon was starting to become pretty depressed so I considered dividing them back into two colonies of two. I decided to first try giving Cheeseburger a 5 day time out (ISO in the 10g) since she was being the meanest to Bacon. The hope is that Twix and Hashbrown will bond with and except Bacon. Then when Cheeseburger is reintroduced, they'll hopefully continue to except Bacon as one of the group. If not, I'll go back to two groups of two. If it does come to that I'm not sure how to split them. Normally I would do Cheeseburger/Bacon and Hashbrown/Twix since that was the original groups but if Cheeseburger continues to be so cruel to Bacon, I'm not sure it will work. Also, Cheeseburger and Twix have enough little tiffs (and in the past, out and out fights) that I don't think they'll do well alone together. So maybe Twix/Bacon and Hashbrown/Cheeseburger? But Twix can also be a bit mean to Bacon. Ugh, I really hope it doesn't come to a permanent split. :(

moonshermies

Post by moonshermies » Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:43 pm

OMG, LOOK@the cute mousie!!!! lol, I have a field mouse in my apt, dnt know how or or where he got in..I swear my daughter hides cherrios around to feed him!!!:grin: & Ive given up on catching him so I can let him loose outside, he finds a way out of all humane traps!!! so hes just a part of the family for now.

Sent from HTC EVO, using Tapatalk 2
Mom to 3 children,&2 adorable medium PPS..Not a new member..My old sn was deleted after a hiatus from the death of my pp 2 yrs ago..

Topic author
CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:26 am

Thanks! I knew I could count on this group to find meecers to be cute too. With hermit crabs I get confused looks and I'm called weird. With the mice I get straight up horrified and disgusted looks mostly. The geckos are usually somewhere in the middle.

A crafty little mouse, eh. Mice do seem to love cheerios. :lol: Good for you for trying to catch and release! :D

Topic author
CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:56 am

Thought I'd pop in on this thread to share with anyone with small pets like mice or hamsters. I stopped in at Petco after being treated to breakfast for our wedding anniversary (15 years! :D ). The plan was to just look around but I stumbled across a sale I couldn't refuse. The ceramic Cheese and Cracker House and Gourd small animal hideaways were on clearance for $1.98 and $1.48!! The Barn hideaway had a clearance tag ($1.98 I think) too but was sold out. The mushroom hide didn't have a sale tag but when my husband asked about it they said it was on sale for $7.98. I don't see this sale online so it seems to be in store only. Just a heads up. :banana:

pic of the two I bought: http://s76.photobucket.com/user/ILuvBob ... sort=3&o=0 They're in perfect shape so it's not a sale because of damage or anything. I guess they are considered seasonal items?

happycrabbymama

Post by happycrabbymama » Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:14 am

Calla.. I just stumbled across this post! We recently acquired a chinchilla, four rats and three hamsters. :) The chinchilla we have had for several months. However, the hamsters and rats were newly acquired. :) They are indeed HILARIOUS to watch! :) Hope all is working out with your little mice. ;)
Mill-Creek Hermit Crab Sanctuary of Northwest Ohio
Visit us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/MillCreekHermit ... thwestOhio

Topic author
CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:56 am

Chinchillas are soo cute! We researched them a little because my middle son, X, was interested. The mice are well and loving their early Christmas presents. Our hamster sadly passed away. I'm not sure what happened, she was fine the night before. She looked healthy, was eating normally, still running on her wheel a good amount of time (I find Syrians start to get a bit lazy as they get older). I went to give her some scrambled eggs the next morning and she appears to have passed in her sleep, all curled up in her nest. :( She was only with us for about a year. I don't know her exact age but I don't think she was more than a couple months past a year old. :(

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:46 am

I'm so sorry Calla! I hope your boys are doing okay. A year is a little on the short side, but like you said she was already big when you got her. That's the only horrible thing about rodents, they never stay for very long.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:09 am

I think X is more upset than he's letting on. He tried to give me his hamster stuff. I told him we could just put it up in case he changes his mind later on.
I really was surprised to find her gone. With hamsters we've had before, I could see when they were starting to show their age and knew it wouldn't be long. She still seemed full of life. I'm just glad it looks like she went peacefully in her sleep.