Isopods update, E shell question

This is a forum dedicated to Hermit Crab Association members posting pictures of their crabs and crabitats.

Topic author
ciaraalston

Isopods update, E shell question

Post by ciaraalston » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:03 am

Hey y'all! So the isopods that @GotButterflies sent me are doing amazing! I have some in my 55 gallon, some in our snake tank, and the rest in their tote. They're breeding!!! In the tote, they love the oak bark and Cholla wood. They're ALWAYS on it! In the 55 gallon, I didn't see them much. I saw a few on the mopani branch, but I knew I had more.... Well I found their spot! The isopods are in the coconut hut! Also, it's been my Es favorite spot too! Since he's the only one up, he's lonely and spends his time in the hut. Or maybe he likes the isopods company Image here's some pics!
Tote:

Tote babies: (there's a lot but this is a screenshot of a video so kinda blurry)

And 55 gallon hiding place:

Onto my E shell question... Does he look too big for this shell? And what size would y'all consider him?

Sorry, best pics I could do. I was trying to stress him the least amount possible but also get a shell sizing so I can update the shop!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.
Follow my hermit crab learning journey on instagram! @hermitcrabs_in_the_boot

Motörcrab

Re: Isopods update, E shell question

Post by Motörcrab » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:32 pm

The Isopods are fun to watch. I just put some moss on top of the substrate and they have been all over that. Mine are always under oak bark and Cholla wood too. I even see them on my cork bark house too.

For your E's shell to me it looks to be between 3/4- 7/8" opening across. Maybe closer to 3/4". I would probably get a few shells with 7/8- 1" openings for him.

I know our Eddie took 3 or 4 molts in about a year and a half to finally switch out of his original shell. He tried a few here and there buy went back to his original quickly. Within the last month he went crazy and tried on several shells in a matter of a few days. Just don't be worried if he doesn't switch.

For measuring shells I always hold an Inch when I measure. Basically start measuring at the 1" mark rather than the end of the tape measure with the hook. I think it's easier pulling a more accurate measurement without the hook moving around.

A bit of trivia for you. The hook on the end of a tape measure moves to compensate for if you push or pull to get your meaurement. The hook should move basically the thickness of the hook. You would pull a measurement if you hook the tape on the side of the tank to see how long or wide it is. You would push down if you were measuring from the floor up to the top of the tank.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:47 pm

I recommend buying a caliper for your shells - best investment EVER - I got mine for $9-$10 - bought a digital one from amazon!
Beats the guess work out of shells!

Love the isopod pics! Glad they are doing well!! :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:57 am

GotButterflies wrote:I recommend buying a caliper for your shells - best investment EVER - I got mine for $9-$10 - bought a digital one from amazon!

I'll order one with my digital temp/humidity reader! Forgot what it's called ImageImage

4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.
Follow my hermit crab learning journey on instagram! @hermitcrabs_in_the_boot

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:46 pm

ciaraalston wrote:
GotButterflies wrote:I recommend buying a caliper for your shells - best investment EVER - I got mine for $9-$10 - bought a digital one from amazon!

I'll order one with my digital temp/humidity reader! Forgot what it's called ImageImage

LOL ;) Glad I could help!
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com