Pinchy Palace Journal

This is a forum dedicated to Hermit Crab Association members posting pictures of their crabs and crabitats.

RiNiKy506

Re: Pinchy Palace Journal

Post by RiNiKy506 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:28 am

Just amazing! Keep up your awesome work!

Topic author
Scarletfire

Post by Scarletfire » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:00 am

I finally got my hands on a other hamster wheel. 5his specific one was sold out at the few closest locations. All Living Things medium size. Although this one is the PetSmart brand wheel, I find that it spins just as well of not better than the branded ones, at half the price. I'm finally able to extend the wheel for my bigger crabs. I decided to mount it upside down against the back egg crate, so the legs will provide the mounting surface, and another place for crabs to climb. I tried weaving st first, but the string came loose at the corner too easily and it wasn't turning out as nice as I wanted. I told myself I wasn't going to make another... But I started another net. ImageImageImageImageImage

The salty is underway. Currently, a submersible pump is used. I'll need to pick up a wave maker to get better flow. A few pieces of fish food added so far to start the cycling process.
Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Cable management also needed once all appliances are set in stone.

Topic author
Scarletfire

Post by Scarletfire » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:00 am

There wasn't enough water movement, so an oily slick was forming. I picked up this surface skimmer, and it seems to be doing good. I'll check in the morning.

I need to find a wave maker, specifically the Jebao slw-10 to ensure the rock gets enough dispersed flow. Once I see how long the cable is, I may put all the hardware on the opposite side

Does not help my cable issue haha. Although there's a lot of obstructions in the last photo... I think sw will be awesome once I get some green and red algae in there later.

Thoughts on condensation for the freshwater pool? I put the ladder and crab walk over the sponge filter, but there is still a lot of condensation. It's primarily where the tank is, but there is some along the front of the terranium portion of the tank as well.
ImageImageImageImageImage

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:34 am

This may sound like a waste, but a small computer fan blowing in that corner may help evaporate condensation. Works very well for me, just an added electrial equipment.

(Think of it like a powerhead for the air! Haha, the jebao will probably be overkill, so be prepared to run it at the lowest setting)

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
Scarletfire

Post by Scarletfire » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:41 am

aussieJJDude wrote:This may sound like a waste, but a small computer fan blowing in that corner may help evaporate condensation. Works very well for me, just an added electrial equipment.

(Think of it like a powerhead for the air! Haha, the jebao will probably be overkill, so be prepared to run it at the lowest setting)

I couldn't find something adjustable at a lower price/capacity. Do you have a recommendation for a wave maker?

There's an older laptop cooler I can rip the fan out and mod. I'll compare that with a USB desktop fan...

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:29 pm

Moat powerheads are going to be a little strong, especially the cheaper ones. I wouldn't worry too much tbh.

(The tunze nano would work, but very expensive. Jebao is probably one of the cheapest IMO.

As for the fan, either all works. I actualy purchased a computer fan with a USB cable attached on the end. Worked a dream.

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

Topic author
Scarletfire

Post by Scarletfire » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:25 pm

Do you have a photo of how it's mounted? I deconstructed the fan, but not sure how to securely mount it in the tank.

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:49 pm

No not currently. Im away on holiday, and deleted/moved all my pics from my phone so I could take all the happy snaps! :(

Most make a small cage out of plastic canvas (may need bigger holes where it blows out, like the size of eggcrate... honestly, you could make a box out of eggcrate) and then position in the tank. Most like it hang it off the lid/centre brace using zipties, suction cups, command hooks ect

Topic author
Scarletfire

Post by Scarletfire » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:06 pm

Ohh great idea. I'll work on that as soon as I finish the wheel net.

Thanks for responding on your vacation!

scuttlecrusty22

Post by scuttlecrusty22 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:37 am

This is looking so cool!!! :clap:
(Scuttle, Crusty) crabs, (Buster,Ruby) chihuahuas, (Bugs) goat, (Echo) betta fish (Skittles,Sky) parakeets

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, he gave his only begotten son that whosoever believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life"

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:08 am

Scarletfire wrote:Ohh great idea. I'll work on that as soon as I finish the wheel net.

Thanks for responding on your vacation!

I still have mobile data. So very helpful! Haha

Regardless of what you do, I'd love to see what you have created. Mine didn't really last for the crabs and have to replace the fan since a bit of water (probs shell water) got on the motor.

Topic author
Scarletfire

Post by Scarletfire » Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:55 am

Since my new bigger shells arrived, I relocated all the shells in my current crabitat that are too small. The egg crate bows, so looks like I'll need to add another support to the front sideImage

Topic author
Scarletfire

Post by Scarletfire » Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:06 pm

Exercise wheel complete! It's mounted upside down so nothing is touching the sand to minimize disruptions during digging activities. I tied up a net on the bracket so it acts an additional place to climb on. Although the wheel is a few inches off the sand, the crabs can climb on via the climbing structures. ImageImageImage

Next up, I ripped the fan out of an old laptop cooler. There's a fan speed dial, and powered through USB. If I use this, I'll need to extend the wires to the fan speed controller, and get a USB to plug or USB extender. Then all wires need a wire casing that will be thermo wrapped. I can do that, or buy a desktop USB fan and get a cord extension.... Not sure if I want to bother to DIY this.

In other news, I lent 2 amano shrimps to my fiancee a few years back to deal with an algae issue. He's been bugging me to take them back as they keep stealing food from his neos. I guess they'll be back next week!

KrankyKrab

Post by KrankyKrab » Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:56 am

Hey Scarlet.... for your pools: How did you get the egg crate to adhere to the tank? The silicone doesn’t do a great job for me.

I’ve been following your thread - so helpful as I go along with constructing mine.

I like your minimalist look, too. Mine looks like a toddler found moms egg crate stash .

The ledge appears to have a center support (centered and leaves a tiny gap between back wall) but in other pics the center support looks flush to the tank wall

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crabby7Crabber

Post by Crabby7Crabber » Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:12 am

Congrats on all your progress, Scarlet! I hope one day my hopefully huge tank could look like yours! All of you have given me great ideas! I love talking to fellow crabbers and seeing their ideas! I'll defineatly look back at this for future reference! :)
Three PPs (Hoodini, Aaron Burr, and Jubali)
Love my deceased baby crabs George Washington, Zero, Domino, Billy, Eduardo, and Shelly too 🥺